Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Coaching Search 2016

A name I have not seen mentioned on here is Lincoln Riley - is it because you guys think he is out of reach (apparently did very well interviewing at Houston), or is it because he is young with no HC experience and probably has few if any ties to Florida?  I know he is only 33, but he has 6 years of OC experience at ECU and now Oklahoma, and several posters have mentioned a need for exciting offensive football and he comes from the Mike Leach tree of coaching offense.
Back to the top

teambeer said

Strong is reportedly in Tampa meeting with USF officials today.
Posted On: Dec 9th 2016, 9:36 AM #363704

From the USA Today writer:

Dan WolkenVerified account
‏@DanWolken
Someone who knows Charlie well told me yesterday reconciling the fit at USF with not being at a Power 5 will be the biggest hurdle for him.

Interesting.  Strong is also being pursued by Taggart as the DC at Oregon.  He mentions that at 56, he may not get another chance, so he may be selective.  If he doesn't take the USF job, I could see them pivoting to Larry Scott.  He'd seem to be a more natural fit at USF than here given that he played and coached there.
Back to the top

FutureOwlDad said

A name I have not seen mentioned on here is Lincoln Riley - is it because you guys think he is out of reach (apparently did very well interviewing at Houston), or is it because he is young with no HC experience and probably has few if any ties to Florida?  I know he is only 33, but he has 6 years of OC experience at ECU and now Oklahoma, and several posters have mentioned a need for exciting offensive football and he comes from the Mike Leach tree of coaching offense.
Posted On: Dec 9th 2016, 9:41 AM #363706

I would die(in a good way if we got him) just expect him to go 8-4 9-3 and bounce which would be fine with me at this point. I just think he can wait because a big job will come to him.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

teambeer said

‏@DanWolken
Someone who knows Charlie well told me yesterday reconciling the fit at USF with not being at a Power 5 will be the biggest hurdle for him.

Interesting.  Strong is also being pursued by Taggart as the DC at Oregon.  He mentions that at 56, he may not get another chance, so he may be selective.  If he doesn't take the USF job, I could see them pivoting to Larry Scott.  He'd seem to be a more natural fit at USF than here given that he played and coached there.
Posted On: Dec 9th 2016, 9:43 AM #363708

I always forget Strong is 56 the guy looks 30 and can coach until 100
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

fauowls44 said

teambeer said

‏@DanWolken

Posted On: Dec 9th 2016, 9:43 AM #363708

I always forget Strong is 56 the guy looks 30 and can coach until 100
Posted On: Dec 9th 2016, 9:54 AM #363712

Yup, but if he goes to USF and doesn't win big, he probably wouldn't get another opportunity at a Power 5 school. So he may just go be a coordinator this year and wait for something bigger next season.
Back to the top

OwlFamily said

owlcountry40 said

OwlFamily said

Saw this on Twitter and I dont think it could be more accurate.

Butch Davis at #FIU , Charlie Strong to #USF , Mark Richt at #Miami , #FAU better get this right.....

Posted On: Dec 9th 2016, 7:49 AM #363678

I laughed at this tweet.
You truly don't know how a coach will work out somewhere, so don't you even know that FIU,UM,USF got it right.

You have one coach who hasn't  won in college football since 2000 and he was an FSU kick away from losing two games with maybe the most talented team in college football history.
An underachieving SEC coach who I know it's only his 1st year and he won 8 games but Miami lost its 4 most important games of the season which is UGA football in a nutshell the last 15 years. We are talking about a coach that lost 4 games with Stafford, AJ, and Moreno.
 And finally a coach that couldn't win at Texas.
So who ever runs this account can kick rocks.

Posted On: Dec 9th 2016, 8:58 AM #363692

All 3 are known "big" names. All 3 have had success in the past. All 3 know Florida "crootin" very well. Splash hires arent always the best solution but they make the most noise. From a perception POV they are great hires. Now Strong isnt a done deal, so well see, but still FAU is in a tough spot right now on this hire IMHO.

Posted On: Dec 9th 2016, 9:30 AM #363702

I kind of feel like we need to make a splash hire at this point to gain credibility with fans and recruits. As much as I hate that…
Back to the top

OwlFamily said

Saw this on Twitter and I dont think it could be more accurate.

Butch Davis at #FIU , Charlie Strong to #USF , Mark Richt at #Miami , #FAU better get this right.....
Posted On: Dec 9th 2016, 7:49 AM #363678

Not to worried about Butch Davis right now. He had his second OC resign in two weeks after getting hired
Back to the top

Wow…Houston just named Major Applewhite as their HC.  Everyone had assumed that job was going to Kiffin.  
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

Wow…Houston just named Major Applewhite as their HC.  Everyone had assumed that job was going to Kiffin.  
Posted On: Dec 9th 2016, 10:14 AM #363720

Time for Chun to make a call…
Back to the top

Applewhite hired at Houston ….wow

Lane could be an option at USF now.

The coaching carousel is the Bachelor for men.  
Back to the top
Control functions: