Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Coaching Search 2016

Kirk Herbstreit on sports center this morning, “He was close to having a deal done with a school yesterday, and late last night the negotiations broke off as of right now,” Herbstreit said on the show. “So he’s back in play. How it will work out, we’ll find out probably here in the next day or two. For a guy who wanted an opportunity to become a head coach, it was right there in front of him. And now you’ve got to think about whether he’s the offensive coordinator at LSU or if he ends up finding a different head-coaching job. … Now he’s going to have to kind of look in the mirror and see where he wants to go from here. There are opportunities out there, but he’s got to figure out what he wants to do.”
Back to the top

Well if he doesn't really want to coach here, then it is certainly better we find out now than after the press conference.  I wonder if the same sort of thing happened at Houston where he was reportedly their choice…and then not.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

Well if he doesn't really want to coach here, then it is certainly better we find out now than after the press conference.  
Posted On: Dec 10th 2016, 9:13 AM #363872

Pretty much – would be terrible if he comes here with buyer's remorse. He'd be out as soon as he's able and we'd be stuck hanging again. Still, we need a shot of some good luck around here, hopefully negotiations will get back on track today.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

Well if he doesn't really want to coach here, then it is certainly better we find out now than after the press conference.  I wonder if the same sort of thing happened at Houston where he was reportedly their choice…and then not.

The problem at Houston was that Tillman Fertita, major donor, wanted a massive buyout and they weren't committing enough to assistants.

The latter may be the same problem for you guys.  Chun needs to open the check book for not just him buy his staff.
Back to the top

unless something changes in the next 24 hours, I dont expect much will happen. I say talk to Joe Moorhead at Penn State. Took a offense that has struggled and turned it around. can bring the linebackers coach from Penn State to be DC.
Back to the top

Could this be about anything other than money, I wonder.
Back to the top

If I'd have to guess, he is LSU bound and this "stumbling block" story is to see if we can budge on whatever the proposed package was and sweeten the pot.
Back to the top

JulesFIU07 said

fauowls44 said

The problem at Houston was that Tillman Fertita, major donor, wanted a massive buyout and they weren't committing enough to assistants.

The latter may be the same problem for you guys.  Chun needs to open the check book for not just him buy his staff.
Posted On: Dec 10th 2016, 9:22 AM #363876
Interesting quote from an article about Kiffin and Houston:

And then there was this interesting nugget: Remember the reports where Fertitta demanded Houston's next coach agree to a massive buyout, so they couldn't jump ship like Herman did? Well according to Fertitta, while it turned off some candidates, it didn't bother Kiffin one bit. Kiffin even told Fertitta to set up the contract however he liked.

So add it all up, and it leads to one, final, fascinating question. Was Kiffin ever actually offered the job?

"Never," Fertitta said. "He was no closer than anybody else. Those were all put out by his agent, because that’s how they play the game."

So it's certainly possible FAU was being used for leverage.  We will find out what exactly the deal is soon.  Whatever the issues with the Kiffin deal are will be worked out and he'll be hired or FAU will hire someone else.  I think one of those things will happen fairly quickly.
Back to the top

I am sure we are trying to add a large buyout clause in the contract to keep him from coming in for 1 year and bolting.  My guess is that is the piece that we are having trouble negotiating.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

I am sure we are trying to add a large buyout clause in the contract to keep him from coming in for 1 year and bolting.  My guess is that is the piece that we are having trouble negotiating.

Buyout clause and I'm guessing budget he would have for his staff …
Back to the top
Control functions: