Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Statement on Deandre Johnson

Today, De’Andre Johnson signed a National Letter of Intent to attend Florida Atlantic University.  

Since early November, FAU has extensively researched his history with the goal of learning everything possible about the young man. De’Andre made an official visit the weekend of Dec. 9. On the visit, De’Andre and his parents met directly with the President, Director of Athletics and Vice President for Student Affairs, as well as other members of the University community. At the conclusion of the visit, an offer was made to continue his education at FAU. 

The unfortunate incident that occurred in June 2015 that involved De’Andre has been adjudicated through the legal system. De’Andre has shown he is committed to using his platform to be a positive advocate for violence prevention, self-control and decision making. He will work directly with FAU Student Affairs to develop educational programming for our campus community.

Within the Department of Athletics, Eric Coleman, Associate Athletics Director for Academic Support Services, is a certified facilitator for the Mentors for Violence Prevention (MVP) program. The program aims to give both men and women the skills to safely intervene and prevent violence. De’Andre will go through the program and will work directly with Coleman throughout his time at FAU to educate, inspire and empower others to prevent, interrupt and respond to violence and abuse. De’Andre is committed to growing and helping others in our campus and local community.
Back to the top

For those of you who don't know anything about DeAndre, The incident in Tally was totally out of character. He comes from an outstanding family. He knew he messed up the minute he did it. He took the heat. Admitted  it. And no matter what the snow flake kids/students,if any, have anything bad to say, I will support him. He is a young kid that made an incredible error. Time for the next phase of his growth process.
Back to the top

Well also, if you read the report, the woman at the bar physically assaulted him first - kneed him in the groin. Not really an excuse, but still...
Back to the top

I don't need all the details to know he made a mistake and that he can earn a second chance.
Back to the top

David Slavic said

Well also, if you read the report, the woman at the bar physically assaulted him first - kneed him in the groin. Not really an excuse, but still…
Posted On: Dec 15th 2016, 4:23 PM #364818

And punched him in the face as well - before he hit her.
Back to the top

I SAW THE VIDEO AND SHE DID STRIKE HIM FIRST SO I PERSONALLY WONDER WHAT HE GOT IN TROUBLE FOR, NOT LIKE HE REPEATEDLY HIT HER AND HURT HER. ONE HIT IN RESPONSE OR NATURAL RETALIATION AND WALKED AWAY.

Did not have to hit her back but…….

He has paid a huge price for this though and if all is true of his accepting punishments and such then he should receive a 2nd chance…..with a very short leash.

Stay clean and right young man!
Back to the top

Yeah. I wouldn't call him a victim, but certainly wasn't an unprovoked assault.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

I SAW THE VIDEO AND SHE DID STRIKE HIM FIRST SO I PERSONALLY WONDER WHAT HE GOT IN TROUBLE FOR, NOT LIKE HE REPEATEDLY HIT HER AND HURT HER. ONE HIT IN RESPONSE OR NATURAL RETALIATION AND WALKED AWAY.

He has paid a huge price for this though and if all is true of his accepting punishments and such then he should receive a 2nd chance…..with a very short leash.

Posted On: Dec 15th 2016, 6:29 PM #364823

WHEN I FIRST SAW THIS POST I THOUGHT IT WAS GOING TO BE VERY IMPORTANT AND STATED WITH PURPOSE BUT, then I read it.
Back to the top

CAPLOCK ON said

GeorgiaOwl said

Posted On: Dec 15th 2016, 6:29 PM #364823
WHEN I FIRST SAW THIS POST I THOUGHT IT WAS GOING TO BE VERY IMPORTANT AND STATED WITH PURPOSE BUT, then I read it.

Posted On: Dec 15th 2016, 8:25 PM #364831
Sorry, I have a habit of typing and NOT noticing the Cap Lock is on. My bad!
Back to the top
Control functions: