Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Baseball Stadium

Add topic

I think it makes sense.  Spring training stadiums are sometimes shared by two professional teams anyway, so I'm guessing the scheduling factor can be worked around.  The bigger obstacle may be the City not wanting the traffic issues.  I always thought that the City and FAU should also build a joint arena, both need it.
Back to the top

Owlguin said

I think it makes sense.  Spring training stadiums are sometimes shared by two professional teams anyway, so I'm guessing the scheduling factor can be worked around.  The bigger obstacle may be the City not wanting the traffic issues.  I always thought that the City and FAU should also build a joint arena, both need it.

Posted On: Dec 15th 2016, 10:00 AM #364749

That has to be the biggest issue extra traffic in the area of East Boca during spring semester would be too much.

Also as for joint arena's etc is I just don't see the benefit for the city.

The hope would to be get concerts/convocations etc., but the fact we are in South Florida there is 1000 places that stuff can be done and the building would be empty most of the time.

I am kinda disappointed that the football stadium hasn't gotten any major concerts maybe stealing couple away from Cruzan or BB&T I know  those places are set up better for sound etc but I wish we had more events other than soccer games.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

As for joint arena's etc is I just don't see the benefit for the city.

The hope would to be get concerts/convocations etc., but the fact we are in South Florida there is 1000 places that stuff can be done and the building would be empty most of the time.

I agree that I don't see the City investing in this even though it would obviously benefit them.

Now, a search for "convention center" showed 9 in South Florida with the nearest being an underwhelming "civic center" in Delray and the truest being the Greater Ft. Lauderdale / Broward County Convention Center (an awesome facility, but not close to Boca really, though much better than what we'd build).

That leaves an opening for us and the question is how this will work out since they expect the on-campus hotel to have a "conference center" and then a "convocation center" near the stadium that would host events like conferences (supposedly) when not being used for sports and graduation? Seems like too much overlap but maybe this is the kind of thing you can't have too much of…

Then again, I wonder if we could somehow convince the private hotel company to go in with us on a new basketball arena as a convocation center adjacent to the hotel with the understanding that when it's not used for sports it can be used as their conference center. Highly unorthodox but hey, you never know. That would put the basketball arena on the south side of campus though and further the spread of sports facilities across campus vs clustered together (but who cares, really)

owlcountry40 said

I am kinda disappointed that the football stadium hasn't gotten any major concerts maybe stealing couple away from Cruzan or BB&T I know  those places are set up better for sound etc but I wish we had more events other than soccer games.
Posted On: Dec 15th 2016, 10:10 AM #364752

Same. I was looking forward to attending concerts there.
Back to the top
Control functions: