Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2016-2017 FAU Women's Basketball Discussion Thread

Add topic

Hopefully the moves with football free up some money in a few years for a new basketball arena and baseball stadium. Time will tell but man are we all in now.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

And we needed to be, either be all in to stay in FBS or if not, drop down and at least win.
Back to the top

I wouldn't follow our sports if we dropped down and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

You'd be tempted to think we'd drop down and immediately dominate because our current talent level vs Div.2 talent but eventually our guys would graduate/transfer and then you'd be recruiting Div.2 talent because the 3 star guys now are signing with Div.1 schools and not you.

And if you are tired of watching easy dropped passes or easy missed lay-ups NOW realize it could be way worse at the lower level. Ask yourself why you prefer college football to high school and the answer is not because you don't have a kid on the team.

As for why there isn't excitement about the win over FIU, I don't know what to tell you. I was at the game and had a really good time. There was a decent crowd, probably biggest I've experienced this season but still not even half full (for televised games I wish they'd close the upper sideline seats).

Students were moving in yesterday since the Spring semester starts Monday so some wandered over out of curiosity. Glad they got to see a dominant win. And the students got into it; nice to see tha return of that intimidation factor, yelling "airrrrr balll" etc. Disappointingly, the student section doesn't do the stomp stomp clap clap FAU Woooo anymore. A handful put up their Owl fingers for free throws. Not sure what happened to that tradition… died off like so many other things. I know they used to show a video of instructions for it but I was late to the game (actually had go stand in line for tickets, the first time this season)

Inside, well… we were up by 10+ the majority of the time. The only suspense is when they got within 4-6 points at the end of the second half but even then it was in the final 2 minutes IIRC and at that point the winning team tries to run out the clock, the losing team fouls repeatedly, the winning team pads their score. It's very predictable unless it's a one possession game like vs Ohio State.

Even FIU's message board didn't have a running thread on it. They're apparently bad enough this season that the fans are apathetic.
Back to the top

I would rather lose then drop down.  But I agree about being all in. There comes a point, with sports or business, where you go along, doing the day by day stuff, without too much success. It's ok to stay there . But to move ahead, risks need to be taken. The admin and donors are taking that risk and I applaud them. I don't have anything to lose. They do. We have the right people in place to avoid failure. It's been a long time since I felt that way.
Back to the top

Time for change IMHO.

Same thing every year, can't rebound and way too many threes - like the Troy Trojans under Maestri.

They made a change, and look at them now.

Just my two cents.
Back to the top

What's weird is I don't even have two cents worth. I love FAU sports . I know Baseball and Football. I know when bad coaching is occurring. I don't have enough knowledge about Basketball to say what the problem is. I do know that there were four Air Balls Saturday. We are D-1. Four air balls ? I just look at the score and stats and decide where we stand. I know we are better than FIU and not better than WCU.
Back to the top

?I was there yesterday.  FWIW:  the excitement was not like it was in ? 2009? I can't remember.  That year it seemed like there was a  real optimism and the fans were into it.  That being said, the crowd that was there showed that the burrow could, in fact, get noisy at times.  They just need more practice at it, I guess.  In 2009 there was a small group of organized students that really led things.  I guess they graduated and the past few years since haven't given rise to a new set of "fanatics".
Anyway, I am such an optimist that I think that good things are around the corner.  At least I hope so.  I am such an optimist that I have to wonder if the four airballs were really attempts at an alley oop that just didn't get completed.  There were at least two that I saw that I was pretty sure of.  Anyway, GO OWLS.  I will still be there rooting for you as long as you are trying and making the honest effort.
Back to the top

Florida Atlantic University women’s basketball (4-11, 0-4 C-USA) was overcome by the UTSA offense in the fourth quarter as the Owls fell 72-62 to the Roadrunners (7-8, 3-1 C-USA) on Thursday night.

“I thought our energy was better. I thought our intensity was better for 40 minutes, but I think we still have to finish shots. We left a lot of points on the board, especially in the fourth quarter where we had open looks,” said Head Women’s Basketball Coach Kellie Lewis-Jay

Crystal Chidomere poured in a career high 25 points on 11-of-17 shooting for the visiting Roadrunners, also a career mark, and tacked on six rebounds with three assists and a pair of steals.

UTSA led 35-32 at the half.

Florida Atlantic switched gears and went on a 9-2 run to start the second quarter and took a 23-19 lead over UTSA with 7:50 remaining on the clock. The Roadrunners then responded with a 10-0 run that saw Smith score the first six points of that run that held through the remaining three minutes of the frame.

The Owls managed to come within two with 2:30 on the clock but found themselves down by 14 in the fourth quarter at the 3:18 mark, 67-54, which was the Roadrunners largest lead of the game.

Sasha Cedeno had a team-leading 19 points for the Owls and shot 7-of-13 from the floor while going 5-of-9 from the perimeter. The junior guard also tacked on five rebounds, two assists, two steals and one block.

UPDATED SCHEDULE: 2016-2017 FAU Women's Basketball Discussion Thread - FAU Owl's Nest
Back to the top

Sasha Cedeno’s last-second buzzer beater bounced in UTEP’s favor as the Miners (5-12, 2-3, C-USA) took a 51-50 win over Florida Atlantic University women’s basketball (4-12, 0-5 C-USA) on Saturday night at FAU Arena.

After a 3-2 start to the season, the Owls have now lost 10 of their last 11 contests.

UPDATED SCHEDULE: 2016-2017 FAU Women's Basketball Discussion Thread - FAU Owl's Nest
Back to the top

Florida Atlantic University women’s basketball (4-13, 0-6 C-USA) saw UAB (9-8, 2-4 C-USA) run away with a win as the Blazers outscored the Owls in all but one quarter to earn a 66-55 victory at Bartow Arena on Thursday night.

UDATED SCHEDULE: 2016-2017 FAU Women's Basketball Discussion Thread - FAU Owl's Nest

Back to the top