Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Could fau emerge as a houston/louisville type team?

What David said.

I'd be surprised to see less than 6 wins (as I pointed out previously, Kiffin didn't have less than 6 wins at any of his previous full-season college stops) and also surprised if there were more than 8.

I think this will be an easier turnaround than some others because Partridge recruited so well.
Back to the top

Only way ANY Group of 5 team gets in playoff is an expanded one with the highest ranked Group of 5 Conference Champion getting a slot. And the Big Boys DON'T WANT TO TAKE THAT CHANCE!I still thing an 8 team playoff is best and fairest, then you get ALL the Power 5 CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS, the Group of 5  team and TWO AT-LARGE ENTRIES.

NEVER HAPPEN IMHO! Just because it makes too much sense and is fair. The BigBoys and their new MONOPOLY don't want to share or risk anything!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Only way ANY Group of 5 team gets in playoff is an expanded one with the highest ranked Group of 5 Conference Champion getting a slot. And the Big Boys DON'T WANT TO TAKE THAT CHANCE!I still thing an 8 team playoff is best and fairest, then you get ALL the Power 5 CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS, the Group of 5  team and TWO AT-LARGE ENTRIES.

NEVER HAPPEN IMHO! Just because it makes too much sense and is fair. The BigBoys and their new MONOPOLY don't want to share or risk anything!
Posted On: Jan 17th 2017, 2:35 PM #365796

you know someone brought that up and suggested that on the espn page. top 2 teams get a week buy and the remaining 6 teams play in Bowl games or games at their stadiums until the final four teams are determined then the final four play in the playoff games.
Back to the top

Our ceiling is probably 10, maybe 11 wins (depending on the bodybag games we schedule).

Even with 11 wins we would be handcuffed due to our G5 affiliation.

Our hope then would be to play in and win the  highest bowl we could get into and attempt to do so on a consistent basis. I mean, that's always been the goal, but there's certainly a difference between just hoping to get to 6 wins (as we have been) and hoping to get 10 or 11 (UCF, Houston, Louisville, etc).

But in order to be that successful you either have to find yourself a PJ Fleck/Chris Peterson type that sticks around (yes I know Fleck had offers and Peterson went to Washington, but you know what I mean) or you have to accept that it will be a string of successively more expensive head coaches to continue to swim with the other whales.

If that rise is protracted over 10, 20 years, it will be easier to finance because the fanbase will grow over time and bring in more revenue for FAU to play with. If we're hiring a new coach every year like Arkansas State did, it could get dicey.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Our ceiling is probably 10, maybe 11 wins (depending on the bodybag games we schedule).

Our hope then would be to play in and win the  highest bowl we could get into and attempt to do so on a consistent basis. I mean, that's always been the goal, but there's certainly a difference between just hoping to get to 6 wins (as we have been) and hoping to get 10 or 11 (UCF, Houston, Louisville, etc).

But in order to be that successful you either have to find yourself a PJ Fleck/Chris Peterson type that sticks around (yes I know Fleck had offers and Peterson went to Washington, but you know what I mean) or you have to accept that it will be a string of successively more expensive head coaches to continue to swim with the other whales.

If that rise is protracted over 10, 20 years, it will be easier to finance because the fanbase will grow over time and bring in more revenue for FAU to play with. If we're hiring a new coach every year like Arkansas State did, it could get dicey.

Posted On: Jan 18th 2017, 12:17 PM #365807

The real question is should I book a hotel and flight to the rose bowl or cotton bowl next year for the semi final games or hold out for the NC in Atlanta?
Back to the top

It could, but they have handled it very well! And once successful you should attract better HC candidates looking for that springboard into the Power 5 and the Big money. Fleck getting $3.5M a year from Minny! And then you will have the Fleck or Brohms who are NOT able to ressurrect the Purdues and Minnys in 3 or 4 years that will be fired from there for not working Miracles! Making Purdue good again is a HC graveyard so far!
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Owl2Doc said

Posted On: Jan 18th 2017, 12:17 PM #365807

The real question is should I book a hotel and flight to the rose bowl or cotton bowl next year for the semi final games or hold out for the NC in Atlanta?
Posted On: Jan 18th 2017, 12:28 PM #365808

:Big-Grin:  :Big-Grin:  :Big-Grin:  :Big-Grin:  :Big-Grin:
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Fleck getting $3.5M a year from Minny!

Whoops, did not realize Fleck took a job at Minnesota. Been out of the loop there. Last thing I heard was that he turned down an offer to stay at WMU.

So… bad example

Back to the top

An 8-team playoff would be too much. These athletes are trying to get to the NFL, so to play an additional three games after the conference championship is asking a lot. Plus, having a 4-team playoff makes the regular season tremendously important.
Back to the top

David Slavic said

An 8-team playoff would be too much. These athletes are trying to get to the NFL, so to play an additional three games after the conference championship is asking a lot. Plus, having a 4-team playoff makes the regular season tremendously important.

Posted On: Jan 18th 2017, 2:15 PM #365813

Typical P5 fan, concerned about their athletes when it infringes on its anti-trust monopoly powers. FCS seems to make it work.  There will be a lawsuit one day that will force an expanded playoff.
Back to the top
Control functions: