Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME WEEK THREAD: FAU vs MTSU & UAB January 19th & 21st, 2017

Add topic

Owls set to host CUSA power, red-hot UAB Blazers

What: UAB (11-7, 4-1) vs. FAU (5-11, 1-4)

When: Thursday, Jan. 19th @ 8:00

Where FAU Arena

Series: UAB dominates FAU in a 5-1 all-time series record.

TV: beIN Sports

Live Video:  On Facebook via beIN Sports

Radio: ESPN 106.3

UAB Team Site Here

UAB at a Glance:

Offense - 73.1 PPG, 46% FG, 33% 3PT

Defense - 69.4 PGA, 42% FGA, 34% 3PTA

Rebounding - 37.6 PG Team, 33.4 PG Opponents

Notables

UAB's path to 5-1 in conference play did not come easy. A 49 point effort in loss at Middle Tennessee is the only hiccup for the Blazers. The two are expected to battle it out for the conference's CUSA bid to the NCAA Tournament. It's no surprise that the loss in Murfreesboro served as a wake-up call for UAB, who then pulled off gritty close wins at North Texas and a much improved Rice University before returning to Birmingham for big wins over solid Western Kentucky and Marshall squads. The Blazers' strength to pull close games out on the road is a testament to the type of program they have sustained in Birmingham.

Forward William Lee is the reigning CUSA Defender of the Year, which was highlighted by is 8 blocks against FAU in Birmingham. He is also first on the team in rebounds and blocks. But his talent is not limited to just the defensive side of the ball. Lee leads the team in scoring, free throw shooting, and leads all average starters in 3 pointers. Flat out, the kid can play.

FAU at a Glance

Offense - 70.4 PPG, 42% FG, 34% 3PT

Defense - 71.2 PGA, 43% FGA, 35% 3PTA

Rebounding - 36.2 Team, 39.9 Opponents

Notables

The Owls return home to the Burrow after dropping two games in disappointing fashion. In Boca, FAU is 4-4 overall this season, so a taste of some home cooking could be exactly what the Owls need.

Gerdarius Troutman seems to have regained his confidence from earlier in the season. Last Saturday in El Paso, Troutman set a new career high in points with 22, which was catalyzed by going 6-9 from the 3-point arch in just 24 minutes played.

The Owls will have to limit their turnovers, but have good ball and off-the-ball movement to find open shots in hope to neutralize Lee. Every wasted possession will hurt tonight.

Latest Line

UAB - 7

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Same ol' lineup tonight. While I understand wanting to be consistent, but why throw out being consistent 5 minutes into the game by playing a whole different set of guys? This lineup clearly hasn't worked recently, so why not change? What do you all think?

Back to the top

Lee already with FIVE rebounds tonight.

Back to the top

Curry puts in Troutman, and the Owls get rolling! He only has one FG so far (a beauty of a three-pointer), but the team is playing LIKE A TEAM.

Back to the top

UAB calls a timeout to halt FAU's momentum. Owls beating UAB in offensive boards 4-2. Second chance points will be vital later down the stretch.

Back to the top

Owls now throwing away possessions with offensive fouls and turnovers. We NEED to clean that up to pull within single digits before halftime.

Back to the top

Owls bring the difference within single digits just before halftime.

Back to the top

really hate to beat a dead horse here, but Troutman should be the only Owl attempting three pointers from here on out.

Neely is having a solid game so far, with 6 points and 3-3 shooting.

UAB's William Lee has 9 points and 7 boards. Safe to say he's getting another double-double tonight. The only question is will he reach 200 career blocks tonight in Boca, or in Miami? He's just 5 away.

Back to the top

Jack David Whidden III (2) said

really hate to beat a dead horse here, but Troutman should be the only Owl attempting three pointers from here on out.
Posted On: Jan 19th 2017, 8:59 PM #365854

Jack David Whidden III (2) said

Curry puts in Troutman, and the Owls get rolling!
Posted On: Jan 19th 2017, 8:24 PM #365850

+10,000

THIS JUST IN FROM THE NEWS DESK

(again)

The guy needs to shoot the ball 15-20 time a night.

Double screen, set plays, do what it takes.

Ridiculous percentage from down town (44.3%). Needs to be a focal point of the offense - PERIOD.

Back to the top

TAKE A BOW FILER!

The Clemson transfer nets and and-one, steals the ball, then THROWS IT DOWN! Owls then force 4 TO's in the span of 3 minutes!

Back to the top
Control functions: