Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2017 Basketball coaching search thread

Add topic

Let's dump this guy.
Back to the top

Matt McCall is 43-10 as a head coach.
Back to the top

Would love to have McCall back at the Burrow, but is this program really that much of a step up from UTC? 

I don't think he stays in UTC this Summer, but I don't think he'll be leaving Chattanooga for Boca. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Tampa with USF firing Orlando Antigua a couple of weeks ago.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

FWIW, I played football and graduated from a Southern Conference member school and still follow the league.  From the last conference RPI rankings I saw, I think the SoCon was 14 and Conference USA sat at something like 24 or 25.  Looking at records for member teams I am not sure exactly how they figure that out, but it would be an indication that McCall would be more likely to stay at UTC unless something better came along.  That league has a decent history with basketball - UTC and ETSU have had a number of good teams over the years, recently Wofford has had lots of success, and schools like Davidson and College of Charleston (both out of the league now) made splashes with big upset wins or making NCAA tourney runs.

Now if the question was would I rather live in Boca or Chattanooga - not much of a question.  But he can continue to win at UTC in a league that I would think is considered at least equivalent, and with a pile of wins there he can possibly parlay that into a lower-tier SEC or ACC or Big 10 opening in a year or two.  Unless somebody offers him a lot of money, he probably only moves to a team in a conference that can routinely get more than 1 school into the NCAAs (which in reality is only about 7 or 8 conferences that does not include the SoCon or CUSA).  I'd agree that USF would be more likely since the conference is stronger and they already know they will be looking for a coach.
Back to the top

We had our chance at McCall and Chun made the choice to go with Curry.
Back to the top

With the Women's coach getting let go, I wonder if Curry gets the same fate if (when) we lose in the Tourney.  He's 27-63 over 3 years (and 13-41 in conference).

That should probably be enough evidence to make a change, but they may decide to give him another year since they just spent big on the football staff and Curry still has 3 more years on his deal.  It'll be an interesting decision…
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

With the Women's coach getting let go, I wonder if Curry gets the same fate if (when) we lose in the Tourney.  He's 27-63 over 3 years (and 13-41 in conference).

That should probably be enough evidence to make a change, but they may decide to give him another year since they just spent big on the football staff and Curry still has 3 more years on his deal.  It'll be an interesting decision…
Posted On: Mar 7th 2017, 8:13 AM #367583

I just dont see how we give Curry another year with the results to date.  It's been a miserable run with no light at the end of the tunnel.  

The only tournament we are competing to take part in is our own conference's.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

I just dont see how we give Curry another year with the results to date.  It's been a miserable run with no light at the end of the tunnel.  

The only tournament we are competing to take part in is our own conference's.
Posted On: Mar 8th 2017, 12:31 AM #367591

I hate to say it but I'd be shocked if we get past the first round.

I agree he has to go because there is no light at the end of this tunnel but do we have any fire power to replace him?  If the women's coach would have just won a couple conference games I think we would have left her alone but unfortunately she made that impossible.  

I really think we have put all of our eggs in the football basket, because we had no choice, but now we have to make sure this works out.  Are we are just going to replace both bball coaches with the same mediocre caliber?  Maybe that's still better and who knows we might get lucky.  

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

The fact that there are still 3 years left on his contract makes me think he'll be given another season, but then again I thought Partridge's deal would have bought him another year and they surprised me so who knows?
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

I really think we have put all of our eggs in the football basket, because we had no choice, but now we have to make sure this works out.  Are we are just going to replace both bball coaches with the same mediocre caliber?  Maybe that's still better and who knows we might get lucky.  
Posted On: Mar 8th 2017, 8:40 AM #367594

It's really not that hard…in fact, we had the chicken already in the coop.

Matt MCall made $232K at UTC this year after getting a RAISE.

We're paying far more than that for the "NBA auroa" that still thinks this is the NBA and has not adjusted one bit to the college level of play.

Chun made two lousy decisions - period. And there is absolutely no accountability there.

His contract is up soon though, so we shall see…riding the ambitious coattails of a successful President while being their mouthpiece at press conferences does not a successful AD make.

Yes, that was harsh, and not in line with my typical posting style, but honestly I blame him for the last three years of abysmal success in both sports (FB and MBB).
Back to the top
Control functions: