Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Schmidt Complex for Academic & Athletic Excellence Groundbreaking Renderings

Add topic

South View:

Back to the top

Looks great.  When does construction actually begin?
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

Posted On: Jan 20th 2017, 9:46 PM #365929

They still have to work out timing with the architects…
Back to the top

Thank you for posting, Rick. I actually parked by the Alumni Center and tried to get some shots in at the ceremony but couldn't.

Certainly a different layout then the one HERE.

There's a video going around (now private) and Matt DeFranks with the Sun Sentinel has 22 renderings attached to his article HERE.

OK, so….

Somewhat confusingly, there are at least 2 sets of renderings here. Here's one version of the building:

There's that.

And here's the second which I believe is the actual version (and better of the two) since it was used as the backdrop in the ceremony:

I love the walk-up hill (my favorite feature) and the wood panel walls.

The Traditions Hall is boring, been-there done-that FAU architecture. And nobody needs palm trees inside; there are a thousand palm trees outside, the recruits get it: you're in South Florida. Let's maximize space for other things.

But these look far from the final renders. HKS does quality work. There's still quite a bit of design work to do and they could do some really cool things with lighting, school colors, wraps, banners, etc in the final product.

I like where their head is at right now though. Excited to see more from this project, the phase 2 renders and what potentially can be done with the plaza to complement this new building.
Back to the top

Rick said

fauowls44 said

Posted On: Jan 20th 2017, 9:46 PM #365929

They still have to work out timing with the architects…
Posted On: Jan 20th 2017, 11:05 PM #365931

I am assuming sometime within the next 30 days.
Back to the top

I thought that expanding the home locker rooom was one of the big additions but if the building isn't connected to the satdium how is that possible?

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I think by moving the current recruiting room into the new building frees up space for the locker room to grow. I think.
Back to the top

I like that fact now they have a actual place they to put the sports memorabilia and history. a place for people to come see the history. down the road expand it to a full museum hopefully. I am curious why the exercise science and health program is considered as part of stage 2?
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

I like that fact now they have a actual place they to put the sports memorabilia and history. a place for people to come see the history. down the road expand it to a full museum hopefully. I am curious why the exercise science and health program is considered as part of stage 2?
Posted On: Jan 23rd 2017, 3:32 PM #366100

Surprising to me as well!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

I think by moving the current recruiting room into the new building frees up space for the locker room to grow. I think.
Posted On: Jan 23rd 2017, 2:29 PM #366092

Right. They're going to move some places around in the actual stadium to expand the locker room.

USMCOWL said

I like that fact now they have a actual place they to put the sports memorabilia and history. a place for people to come see the history.

Agreed. The Founders Room in the Oxley (2nd floor) essentially serves that purpose now but this should be better suited for it. As far as expanding it to a full museum, I've always thought a small space could be cool to visit on gamedays but I would be surprised if it ever goes beyond that.

USMCOWL said

I am curious why the exercise science and health program is considered as part of stage 2?
Posted On: Jan 23rd 2017, 3:32 PM #366100

Ehh, probably just because it's a lower priority. The football/athletics side is obviously #1, MBA Sport Management is one of the highest-ranked academic programs at FAU, and so ES&HP comes in after that.

They'll have a nice space eventually and be fine. They are definitely cramped where they're at (my sister graduated from FAU with an ES&HP degree)

Back to the top
Control functions: