Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Visitors for January 20th, 2017

Add topic

Not to re-litigate the stars debate, but I distinctly remember after the bowls being disturbed that we were still getting guys completely off the radar, and people excusing it as being the diamond in the rough theory. At the time it was largely chalked up to being about the lack of facilities – yet to me there was no way we should have been recruiting that poorly in SoFla after that two year period of success, Lockhart or not. No excuses now obviously, things are in place to take this program to another level – and the recent recruiting is showing it.

And with that, I fall back on the stars debate for 2017. 
Back to the top

I am new here, so didn't mean to kick a hornet's nest with my comment about stars.  Obviously being highly recruited and having 3 or 4 or 5 stars beside your name means you are a very good athlete who has shown lots of "measurables" during high school (games, camps, etc.).  I am not saying I don't believe a class full of 5 stars doesn't stand a better chance of producing really good players than a class full of 2 star athletes.  But unless there was some magical way of measuring talent versus just a 40-time or game stats (some against good competition and some possibly against poor competition) or number of 225-lb bench presses, it is more important to find really good athletes that fit your scheme and plug the holes you have on your current roster.  I don't expect FAU has all 4+ star recruits lined-up, so guys that can play and contribute will stick and the ones that can't will move on regardless of what their star rating was.  I would certainly argue the difference in a 2* versus a 3* probably comes down more to what camps a guy attended (or couldn't attend) or how much their high school coach pushed them in recruiting circles.  5-stars are different, but I don't expect we are talking about many of them.

So my argument is if we have 5-stars let's sign them.  If we have 4 stars you probably want to sign them, too.  If we are talking about a bunch of 2 and 3 stars let's look more for fit than simply thinking 3 > 2.  Again, as a newbie to supporting FAU what does the typical class look like (number of signees, number of 2 vs 3 vs 4 star athletes, etc.)?
Back to the top

@Owlsdad… we know your new. That's ok. I'm glad to see you getting involved. We have this star discussion every year. When we start winning it should stop. BTW.. keep on posting.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

@Owlsdad… we know your new. That's ok. I'm glad to see you getting involved. We have this star discussion every year. When we start winning it should stop. BTW.. keep on posting.
Posted On: Jan 23rd 2017, 6:16 PM #366111

+ 1 – yup, I concur. Welcome aboard! Like Local Owl said above, we are always looking towards the stars here, no biggie lol.
Back to the top

Rick said

This is going to be a big weekend obviously with the groundbreaking…will update here as applicable.

• Devin Rockette - DB 5-11, 165 lbs, Oxford, MS

Committed to South Alabama.

Back to the top

Rick said

• Marvin Washington - QB 6-2, 195 lbs, Orlando, FL

Signed with Uconn – not all that surprised, he will have a chance to come in from day one there. Good luck to him.
Back to the top

Yeah, I mean, we certainly didn't NEED another QB  but it would have been nice to have someone that talented in our back pocket in case we lose a QB or two.

However, it sounds like DeAndre Johnson will more than get the job done for us. So we still win.
Back to the top
Control functions: