Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UPDATED: "Schmidt Family Complex for Academic and Athletic Excellence"

Owl2Doc said

GeorgiaOwl said

Wish they could announce building the whole thing too, not just stage one! THAT would get the Coaches excited and truly show FAU is COMMITTED to winning!!
Posted On: Jan 20th 2017, 2:36 PM #365905

I wish we had the money for that too but I think FAU has shown a very deep commitment to winning recently.

We'll get there in time.

Posted On: Jan 20th 2017, 2:55 PM #365910

What exactly does Stage I include again?  I am sure it is listed in another post, but I cannot locate.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

What exactly does Stage I include again?  I am sure it is listed in another post, but I cannot locate.
Posted On: Jan 21st 2017, 12:38 PM #365950

It's in my last blog HERE - that may be why it's hard to locate.

Tl;dr: Should have 12k sq ft weight room, football offices, 1-2 outdoor practice fields, hydrotherapy and sports medicine, film/team meeting space, advising, traditions hall, banquet hall and nutrition center for athletes, academic space for MBA Sport.. 

I believe Chun et al are moving over there too.

Phase 2 is indoor practice field, small sports museum and labs for Exercise Science/Health Promotion program.
Back to the top

I guess one of the 2 outdoor fields will be covered and become the indoor practice field?

Again, too bad they cannot build the frame structure for a covered practice field and then in phase 2 enclose and upgrade it (AC/ turf/etc.).

Are they still converting level one of parking garage for classrooms? If so, cool, if not, the new building does nor seem very large in the renderings.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

walty12 said

Posted On: Jan 21st 2017, 12:38 PM #365950

It's in my last blog HERE - that may be why it's hard to locate.

Tl;dr: Should have 12k sq ft weight room, football offices, 1-2 outdoor practice fields, hydrotherapy and sports medicine, film/team meeting space, advising, traditions hall, banquet hall and nutrition center for athletes, academic space for MBA Sport.. 

I believe Chun et al are moving over there too.

Phase 2 is indoor practice field, small sports museum and labs for Exercise Science/Health Promotion program.
Posted On: Jan 21st 2017, 1:09 PM #365955

I missed this blog entry with all the holiday stuff going on.  Very nice write up, thank you.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

I missed this blog entry with all the holiday stuff going on.  Very nice write up, thank you.
Posted On: Jan 21st 2017, 3:59 PM #365962

You're welcome  :cool:

GeorgiaOwl said

I guess one of the 2 outdoor fields will be covered and become the indoor practice field?

Good question. The original schematic showed the IPF in an east-west orientation and these renders show the two fields in a north-south orientation. Not sure if they need to sacrifice two fields to get one indoor field + space around it for infrastructure, etc.

GeorgiaOwl said

Are they still converting level one of parking garage for classrooms? If so, cool, if not, the new building does not seem very large in the renderings.
Posted On: Jan 21st 2017, 1:17 PM #365960

Yes they plan to use at least part of it. My hunch is that they're going to take up all the ground floor space and just leave the up-ramp.

Again, the plans are still being finalized.

Back to the top

Well I predict we'll see equipment probably arriving within the next month and dirt being moved shortly after that.  I checked both the architect and construction company websites. Nothing yet on either of them.
Back to the top

drove down to get the kiddo a new shirt from Mark's store today, so we drove by the stadium. No dirt being moved, no environmental fencing up, not even tiny flags marking location of utlity and sewage and water lines yet.
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

drove down to get the kiddo a new shirt from Mark's store today, so we drove by the stadium. No dirt being moved, no environmental fencing up, not even tiny flags marking location of utlity and sewage and water lines yet.
Posted On: Feb 11th 2017, 1:35 PM #367035

Soon. Very soon.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Has anyone heard what they are going to use the old practices field behind the Oxley after the new athletic center is built?
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

Has anyone heard what they are going to use the old practices field behind the Oxley after the new athletic center is built?
Posted On: Jun 2nd 2017, 1:08 PM #369041

No word on that yet.

What do you think they should do with them?

I doubt they'll do anything with them for awhile. You could conceivably move over the soccer fields and make that a new soccer complex (or maybe add lacrosse, though we don't have the budget to add another sport right now)

We'll know more when the Master Plan comes out.
Back to the top
Control functions: