Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Story behind the name?

Add topic

I was wondering if maybe some of our more seasoned FAU alums here could explain the story behind Owlsley.

This Owlsley history page comes up blank for me. However, this general FAU history page goes into a little bit more detail.

It explains that Owlsley was introduced in 1965, soon after the school opened in 1964.

Was there a poll taken to choose the name? If so, what were the other choices?

Or was it just introduced as, "here it is! Owlsley!" after meeting of admins behind closed doors?

I've just never understood the reasoning behind the name. Was there a popular character with a similar name? Is it a portmanteau or owls + ________?

It doesn't appear to be a take-off of a normal name (for instance, Owlivia vs Olivia).

When I was there, many students didn't know the name or, if they did, didn't know how to spell it. Owlsley? Owsley? Owlsey? I'll admit I wasn't sure how many L's there were in the name for a little while there.

I was a proponent of changing it back in 2004ish with the branding change but I understood there was 40-something years behind the name at that point and people were resistant to it.

It's just not optimal when your own students (and alums) aren't sure how to properly spell or pronounce the mascot (in my experience; your mileage may vary).
Back to the top

I don't know if the mascot has always been known as Owlsley, at least the spelling has changed over time (Owlsey, Owsley). We were designated an owl sanctuary in the 60's but I don't think the whole mascot thing took off until the 80's, when first owl logo come along. Then the sports  teams starting using it. I remember Hootie from football and the Screaming Chicken from Basketball. I thought the name came about with student goverment purchased that god awful one https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/06/80/ef/0680ef56d247fdb0fca91b1edb9fb4c5.jpg. Then they had a vote to  rename with the updated mascot, the message board wanted Digger (See below) but got trumped by SG and a sad list of names.

Homepage : Florida Atlantic University

Mascot Name Change - FAU Owl's Nest

Why Does Owsley Suck So Bad? - FAU Owl's Nest
Back to the top

Ill suggest an easy one to spell.
Owloisius.
anyone can remember how to spell that

If there was a mascot with a name in the late 70s, it sure wasn't well known. I don't have any memory of that. There may have been but there wasn't any reason for "school spirit" in those times. No NCAA sports, most lived off campus and some had a long commute. There was a village like life style in the dorms though, at that time.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

Ill suggest an easy one to spell.
Owloisius.
anyone can remember how to spell that

If there was a mascot with a name in the late 70s, it sure wasn't well known. I don't have any memory of that. There may have been but there wasn't any reason for "school spirit" in those times. No NCAA sports, most lived off campus and some had a long commute. There was a village like life style in the dorms though, at that time.
Posted On: Feb 21st 2017, 3:49 PM #367242
Agreed IllinoisOwl! I graduated in '79 and don't remember any mascot but then we had no teams either. And there was NO shopping across from school on Glades OR west of 95 - NOTHING, Boca West was built in the "middle of nowhere"!

I'll say this though my granddaughter LOVES Owlsley and she is 10 now!
Back to the top

I graduated in 82 and I can barely remember 80-82.  ?
Back to the top

I don't remember what I had for breakfast, but will offer my best recollection on when I think our mascot was called Owlsley.  

IMO it was just after the mascot that some of us referred to as Hootie.  I can't imagine myself calling our mascot Hootie if his name was officially Owlsley.  After Hootie and before our current version of Owlsley, we had that mascot that looked like the logo but it's head was really flat.  That was the first Owlsley in my mind.  

There have been different spellings of the name and I believe that was simply a spelling error on the first official paperwork designating the name of the mascot. The first name was Owsley, but the corrected name is Owlsley.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Go Owls!
Back to the top

fauowl said

I don't remember what I had for breakfast, but will offer my best recollection on when I think our mascot was called Owlsley.  

IMO it was just after the mascot that some of us referred to as Hootie.  I can't imagine myself calling our mascot Hootie if his name was officially Owlsley.  After Hootie and before our current version of Owlsley, we had that mascot that looked like the logo but it's head was really flat.  That was the first Owlsley in my mind.  

There have been different spellings of the name and I believe that was simply a spelling error on the first official paperwork designating the name of the mascot. The first name was Owsley, but the corrected name is Owlsley.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Go Owls!
Posted On: Feb 21st 2017, 8:30 PM #367246

I think you are spot on.  I definitely remember Hootie and the spelling explanation makes sense.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I don't remember what they called this thing, but garbage would be a fitting name…

Back to the top

AGREED RICK, AGREED!

I DO remember THIS THING being made fun of in a BIG WAY! Wonder why, huh! GOD AWFUL, QUITE POSSIBLY THE WORST MASCOT IN HISTORY OF ALL SPORTS!!!!!!
Back to the top

No worse then this from our friends down south.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top
Control functions: