Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Story behind the name?

Add topic

OwlFamily said

No worse then this from our friends down south.
Posted On: Feb 22nd 2017, 11:05 AM #367250
I don't think I've ever disagreed with you before, but I believe this was one of the greatest mascots in America. I'd pay to see an WWE type bout between FIU's Sunblazer and WKU's Big Red Hilltopper.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

OwlFamily said

NEVER SEEN THAT THING, WOW, SAME DESIGN FIRM???? :Laughing:
Back to the top

Jack David Whidden III (2) said

OwlFamily said

I don't think I've ever disagreed with you before, but I believe this was one of the greatest mascots in America. I'd pay to see an WWE type bout between FIU's Sunblazer and WKU's Big Red Hilltopper.
Posted On: Feb 22nd 2017, 12:10 PM #367251

Oh, SUNBLAZER, is THAT what THAT is???? :Laughing:

And WHAT did a Sunblazer have to to with FIU may I ask? Or should I!!!!! :Thinking:  :Not-Talking:  :Winking:
Back to the top

:Laughing:  :Laughing:  :Laughing:

Not to derail the thread, but couldn't resist another C-USA boff in the same place as the FIU one…

How about the homeless crackhead from UTEP?

Back to the top

If not for the UTEP buckle, he could be mistaken for a UCLB Dirt Bag. Easily the greatest nick name.
Back to the top

WKU made this list.  My personal (non) favorite is the UNC School of the Arts Fighting Pickle…

https://medium.com/sportspickle/the-25-worst-college-mascots-1af6e4aca905#.rx4lhvxuu
Back to the top

I could be VERY wrong here…. but as I file through the cobwebs in my brain… I seem to remember a competition of some sort where Owlsley was the winning name - I don't think it was a straight vote though … I believe names were collected and then a trusted group of professionals, students, etc. on campus selected it. When I was in SGA, we referred to the mascot as Hootie, and I believe that was an/the official name. But again, disclaimer… I could be wrong. This was 13 years ago and I've done a lot of mascot, branding, nicknames, etc. since then; they all run together after time. :)

This sounds like a great story for the University Press, the alumni magazine, etc. to dig into some research, talk to folks on campus who were around then (and are still around and/or still in the Boca area), and come together with a nice cover story on the history of Owlsley.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Thanks for the insight, Smitty.

There is a page on "History of Owlsley" which is currently pulling up blank for me but will hopefully tell the story in the near future.

Back to the top

I forgot to mention if the Owlsley was such a prominent mascot and adopted in the 60's then how do you explain the Blue Wave.  
Back to the top
Control functions: