Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME DAY THREAD: FAU vs. UTEP - February 23rd, 2017

Add topic

Owls MBB set to take on surging UTEP Miners in Boca
What: FAU (9-16, 5-9) vs. UTEP (11-15, 9-5)

When: Thursday, February 23rd @ 7:00 PM

Where: FAU Arena

Series: The Miners have a 4-1 advantage in this young series, including a 66-65 OT victory last month in El Paso.

TV: None

Live Video: CUSA.tv *FEE

Radio: ESPN 106.3

UTEP Team Site: Here

UTEP at a Glance:

Offense - 68.8 PPG, 46% FG, 34% 3PT

Defense - 68.6 PGA, 42% FGA, 33% 3PTA

Rebounding - 34.7 PG Team, 34.7 PG Opponents

Notables

Here come the Miners. The same team that lost 12 straight before beating both FIU and FAU in mid-January have won 7 out of 9 since. once the laughing stock of the conference, UTEP is currently in fourth place; good for the last first-round bye in the CUSA Tournament. Safe to say, nobody is laughing at the Miners anymore.

The Miners are coming off a pair of close, gutsy wins over Rice and North Texas. Sophomore Forward Paul Thomas has splashed on to the scene with a double-double in both games, earning CUSA Player of the Week honors. Guard Omega Harris is still one of the conference's best shooters by averaging 16.7 PPG. Unless the Owls and Miners meet in the tournament, this will be the last time we see guard Dominc Artis. The senior from San Francisco leads the team in both rebounds and assists.

Since the New Year, UTEP has had one of the strongest defenses in the league. The Miners are first in defensive FG percentage and third in scoring defense at 38.3% and 63.9 respectively. Offensively, UTEP is 12th in the league in scoring offense since the start of conference play, but rank third in field goal percentage.

FAU at a Glance

Offense - 71.5 PPG, 42% FG, 33% 3PT

Defense - 73.4 PGA, 44% FGA, 36% 3PTA

Rebounding - 36.3 Team, 39.2 Opponents

Notables

The Owls return to the Burrow for the final home stand of the season. Trips to Louisiana Tech and Southern Mississippi yielded mixed results. The Bulldogs pulled away from a scrappy first half performance from FAU, to win in dominating fashion on Thursday. The Owls then had one of their most complete games all season against a struggling Southern Mississippi side in Hattiesburg.

Adonis Filer is no longer the only Owl averaging double digits. The Clemson transfer who averages 10.6 PPG is now joined by three-point threat Gerdarius Troutman, who now averages 10. after a career high 25 points against Southern Miss. Troutman ranks 16th in the nation in three-point FG percentage.

Latest Line

FAU -1

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

That betting line is not a typo.

Multiple site have FAU at -1 or the game at a perfect toss up. Although most betting lines either opened as a toss up or at UTEP -1, the only one that is currently still siding with UTEP is Stations, who opened at UTEP -2.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back to the top

No change in the starting lineup. Here's to hoping Troutman can have another big day along the three point line.

Back to the top

Fast start for both teams. All five FAU starters have scored a FG a piece.

Back to the top

8 Owls have now scored. Massey and Booker are the only Owls who have seen action but have yet to attempt a shot. All shooters have scored at least one FG.

Back to the top

Owls hoping to finish the half strong. Having momentum at the break could be HUGE for this team.

Back to the top

Very strong finish from FAU. Owls end the half on a 9-5 run, converting 4 of the last 5 FGs of the half.

Back to the top

Nick Rutherford already has 6 assists on the night. As a team, FAU currently has 11. Being a big fan of crisp, set passes, this stat makes me smile from ear to ear.

That being said, the Princeton style offense drives me nuts. Man, I don't miss playing Denver one bit.

Back to the top

Paul Thomas, defending CUSA Player of the Week, will take a seat for an extended period of time, as he commits his fourth foul of the game.

Back to the top

Owls have gone ICE COLD this half. Poor shot choices have lead to UTEP killing any momentum FAU had going into halftime.

Back to the top
Control functions: