Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME DAY THREAD: FAU vs UTSA - February 25th, 2017

Add topic

FAU Mens' Hoops host Senior Night, UTSA. Roadrunners
What: FAU (9-17, 5-10) vs. UTSA (12-16, 7-8)

When: Saturday, February 25th @ 7:00 PM

Where: FAU Arena

Series: The Roadrunners tied the series a three games a piece with their victory of FAU in January

TV: None

Live Video: CUSA.tv *FEE

Radio: ESPN 106.3

UTSA Team Site: Here

UTSA at a Glance:

Offense - 65.6PPG, 39% FG, 27% 3PT

Defense - 69.6 PGA, 43% FGA, 34% 3PTA

Rebounding - 39.4 PG Team, 35.1 PG Opponents

Notables

The Roadrunners snapped their three game losing streak last Thursday against FIU by holding off a late Panther push. Sitting in tenth place (just 2 spots above FAU) in the conference standings, the Roadrunners are looking to improve their positioning going into the conference tournament.

Jeff Beverley averages 16.1 PPG this season, good enough to make him the 8th best scorer in the conference. He netted 16 in Thursday's match against FIU, helping the Roadrunners shoot 50% as a team from the field. Led by Bryon Frohen and Jeff Beverley along the boards, UTSA is the top rebounding team in the conference.

As a team, UTSA struggles offensively in scoring and FG percentage, being 12th and 11th respectively. The lack of a deep threat makes UTSA the worst three-point shooting team in the conference.

FAU at a Glance

Offense - 70.9 PPG, 42% FG, 33% 3PT

Defense - 72.8 PGA, 44% FGA, 36% 3PTA

Rebounding - 36.0 Team, 39.0 Opponents

Notables

The Owls could not keep their lead against one of the conference's hottest teams last Thursday, falling late to UTEP 60-55. The loss prevented FAU from punching their ticket to the CUSA Tournament on Thursday. The Owls can claim their ticket to Birmingham with a win tonight against UTSA or with a North Texas loss to Southern Miss.

With FAU visiting UAB and Middle Tennessee in the final games of the regular season, it will be best for the Owls to punch their ticket today and not have to worry about pulling off upsets to survive next week.

Today is Senior Day for three FAU Owls. Scoring leader Adonis Filer has proved valuable at the PG and SG positions during his time at the Burrow. The basketball program will also celebrate Marcus Neely's and Brandon Bradley's contributions to the squad.

Latest Line

FAU -5

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Looks like our ticket to Birmingham has already been punched! Southern Miss dominates North Texas, allowing the Owls to play in the CUSA Tournament.

Back to the top

Despite the loss last Thursday to UTEP, coach Curry makes no changes in tonight's starting lineup.

Back to the top

Very special moment for the seniors on the FAU basketball team. Head Coach Michael Curry and Athletic Director Pat Chun greets each individual player and their families with flowers and a framed FAU jersey. Matthew Reed was also there, and given the same respect despite retiring from basketball this offseason due to injuries. That's class.

Back to the top

We've shown that we're able to get a fast start, but it'd be nice to be able to hold on to it for a games' entirety. Frank Booker nets two early three pointers to give FAU some early momentum.

Back to the top

If you're at the Burrow, give Frank Booker a standing ovation when he takes a seat. His last 5 minutes on the court has been some of the smartest, hard working, and selfless performances I've seen on this level.

Back to the top

Cylla, Massey, Troutman, and Filer have a combined 3 points. That WILL NOT bode well for the Owls if none of these players can't get it going.

Back to the top

Marcus Neely hit the deck hard, forcing Curry to call a timeout to get him off the court. The trainers are now taking a look at his ankle. It doesn't seem too serious, as he is now walking along the sideline, but he looks to be in some discomfort.

Back to the top

Owls have been sloppy, but UTSA hasn't bee much better. That's partially because we've played some solid defense. Booker and Pfister stand out in particular.

Back to the top

You know it's a weird night when your PG is leading the team in points and boards.

I'd like to see some better shot attempts from Troutman, Massey, Filer, and Cylla.

Back to the top
Control functions: