Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Diehard Blog - FAU development, news, rumors and photos

Add topic

FAUfasho said

I've heard the President wants to increase campus housing to around 10,000. We're right around 4,200 now. Requiring campus housing for the 1st two years would help achieve that goal but I worry about the cost of on campus housing already. If the new housing is as expensive at Parliament is then I think we run the risk of hurting our already struggling retention rate.
Posted On: Feb 27th 2017, 9:36 AM #367361

That's interesting because I had read an article some where (probably a year ago) that stated he did not want to be in the housing business and hoped added housing would come from the private sector near campus so FAU would use money for academics, etc., and not creating more housing. Maybe they changed their minds, not sure.
Back to the top

fauowl said

FAUfasho said

I've heard the President wants to increase campus housing to around 10,000. We're right around 4,200 now. Requiring campus housing for the 1st two years would help achieve that goal but I worry about the cost of on campus housing already. If the new housing is as expensive at Parliament is then I think we run the risk of hurting our already struggling retention rate.

That's interesting because I had read an article some where (probably a year ago) that stated he did not want to be in the housing business and hoped added housing would come from the private sector near campus so FAU would use money for academics, etc., and not creating more housing. Maybe they changed their minds, not sure.
Posted On: Feb 27th 2017, 10:48 AM #367363

That is interesting. Where are they going to find the funding for everything.
Back to the top

fauowl said

FAUfasho said

I could be wayyyyy off and maybe am confusing this with something else, but I thought the goal was to lease the land to private companies so they could build the dorms in a public/private partnership?
Back to the top

owlmart said

fauowl said

FAUfasho said

I could be wayyyyy off and maybe am confusing this with something else, but I thought the goal was to lease the land to private companies so they could build the dorms in a public/private partnership?
Posted On: Feb 27th 2017, 11:12 AM #367367

It was, but you as a insitution like FAU still has to come up with her part of the funding for it. Where does the university have that kind of cash lining around?
Back to the top

FAU Diehard Blog - FAU development, news, rumors and photos

I remember the part about wanting to get out of the housing business too.  The district area that they are talking about goes from I95 to Federal and from Glades to Spanish River.  If I was the business manager for the University, I would be extremely cautious about taking responsibility for an extra 5000-6000 beds when is such a large area around the campus to be developed.  Our prices in the new dorms are not really that competitive, from what I can see.
Back to the top

Right, we've heard conflicting things.

I think Kelly still wants private developers to finance the housing. Furthermore, I think Kelly would prefer that most of it goes off-campus in the university district because that kills two birds with one stone (more housing, build up college town atmosphere off-campus)

There's reportedly a ton of interest in developing student housing near FAU. The problem at this point is actually that very few people want to sell their land or existing businesses in the area. That's why the University Park plot was such a great pick-up; same thing with the upcoming University Village project.

The city is going to have to throw its muscle around to edge some of these people out. And when the they do, expect fancy new mixed use apartments that will be pricey but modern along 20th.

This would be a good thing since they may undercut FAU on the price (they certainly don't require a meal plan, which adds another, what, $2000 to the price) and this could bring down prices for on-campus housing. faufosho makes an excellent point about requiring expensive housing and how that may drive down our retention rate, though I think we were also talking about how our recent uptick in GPA is due to more people who are puddle-jumping to UF etc after their initial year or so with us.

I'd be interested to see if FAU would lower the prices on their student housing if transferring students noted the high prices of housing + required housing drove them away.

To FAU's credit, they didn't raise the prices on housing recently which broke with tradition for them.

Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Right, we've heard conflicting things…
Posted On: Feb 27th 2017, 11:19 PM #367377

Well we have to wait and see what the mayoral election brings in March but I dont see Boca using eminet domain to kick anybody out yet. Now obviously that is one route to go, while another is have these private developers come in and offer a fair and reasonable amount for property in and around 20th street. Like the Limo company in the old gas station, I know of at least 10 places that can go. The fabric and tile company the same thing. now obviously the neighborhood right against the university is another thing. That is going to be a little tougher. Unless the university goes the route of the Green Bay Packers and buys up the properties and transforms it into a district itself, dont see those people selling any time soon.
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

Well we have to wait and see what the mayoral election brings in March

Right. Not to get too political but it's related here… if Zucaro manages to upset the incumbent Haynie, Boca could enter a bit of a stasis, although there's still the rest of the City Council that votes on these things and I think there is still sufficient momentum and goodwill among those members about this project to move it forward.

USMCOWL said

but I don't see Boca using eminent domain to kick anybody out yet. Now obviously that is one route to go, while another is have these private developers come in and offer a fair and reasonable amount for property in and around 20th street.

Right and I think they will try to buy them out first but because we had the 20th Vision Summit and invited impacted businesses, I worry that these owners try to hold out for several times the value of their property because they know what we want to do or never sell at all because they're convincing themselves that maybe students will want to shop at Boca Bargoons or whatever.

I really don't know how that side of things is going to play out but it needs to happen one way or the other.

USMCOWL said

Like the Limo company in the old gas station, I know of at least 10 places that can go. The fabric and tile company the same thing.

Yep, quite a bit. Three things that have become very interesting to me are:

1) We think about 20th Street as being developed east-west, but what if 20th street had an intersection near the middle and behind that front row of stores there were student housing developments… or maybe just create a whole walkable housing/shopping area back there after you buy up the warehouses and auto shops? Maybe it could stretch north-south between 2nd and Dixie as well.

2) Could some of the senior living facilities from Dixie to Federal on the south side of 20th be purchased and turned into student housing?

3) If there was interest in Greek housing off campus, would Dixie Highway just north of 20th on the right side be a good place for that? Houses facing the road, not a lot of space for parking, but would be in walking distance to the nightlife of 20th.

USMCOWL said

now obviously the neighborhood right against the university is another thing. That is going to be a little tougher.

I don't see them dipping into the single family homes, no. And I expect some opposition from those people when 20th starts getting developed - they opposed Addison Park (now University View) and there's been no problems.

Windwood I could see being purchased and turning more to a student focus. It already kinda has one, but it could be more official (and the neighborhood could use a revamp)

Back to the top

1. I thought those fabric stores would make a good college bar. They are large and could be used as a small live music venue similar to Sky Bar at Auburn.

I do not ever foresee Greek housing at FAU and as a Greek member I do not blame the school if they never build it.

You are just asking for bad press and a house being vacant.
For those who do not know Fraternities nationals do not build housing anymore  the school build and they lease from the school. This is so the school has control over the property and the fact Nationals don't dish out doe like they did in the 1950's
FAU doesn't want to build a house for 7-8 fraternities so 2 can get kicked for hazing and another for having drugs in the house and they will be forced to scramble to fill them.  
Even big southern schools with rich Greek histories and are making it really hard for these chapters to exist.

I see FAU going the way of Miami and giving some on campus common space to chapters…..maybe.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

USMCOWL said

Well we have to wait and see what the mayoral election brings in March

Right. Not to get too political but it's related here…
Posted On: Feb 28th 2017, 10:12 AM #367382

One key thing though is getting the people on board in the area, I know Mark will be all for it. :) But again you have to find a developer, and then get property values, then begin negoatating, and tear down buildings and construction. This is a huge project, which has been years in the making but it could still be years away, unless something changes within the year. but it will get there.
Back to the top
Control functions: