Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Series Thread: FAU vs UAB - Mar 24th - 26th, 2017

Add topic

Baseball Series Thread: FAU vs UAB  - Mar 24th - 26th, 2017

What:      FAU (14-6-1, 3-0 C-USA) at UAB (13-8, 2-1 C-USA)

When:     Fri, Mar 24th at 4:00 PM
                Fri, Mar 24th at 7:30 PM
                Sat, Mar 25th at 1:30 PM

Where:    Regions Field

Stream:   CUSA.tv *FEE

Stats:       Here

Series:

The Owls own the all-time mark 7-4 and completed a three game sweep last season in Boca Raton.

Projected Starting Pitchers

Fri:        FAU - RHP Mark Stewart  (1-0, 4.02 ERA)
             UAB - RHP Garrett Whitlock (3-1, 2.15 ERA)

Fri:        FAU - RHP Alex House (2-1, 4.76 ERA)
             UAB - TBA

Sun:      FAU - LHP Jake Miednik (2-1, 5.34 ERA)
             UAB - TBA

Game Notes

Owls

The Owls posted a pair of 2RBI home runs against Miami on Wednesday en route to a 7-5 loss, but have still won nine of their last 11 games, including a three game sweep over Middle Tennessee State (7-6, 10-1, 7-6) to open conference play.

Florida Atlantic enters the weekend with a .313 team batting average which ranks 22nd in the nation. The Owls have now hit 33 balls over the fence, placing them eighth in the country in homers as well. With his shot against Miami, David Miranda has moved into the driver seat with a team best six long balls.

This weekend will be the first time that they have left the Sunshine State for the season and it won't come without a little drama as the weekend schedule has already been altered due to weather forecast to be in the Birmingham area.

Friday's opener has been moved up to 4:00 PM and game two, originally schedule for Saturday, following directly behind  with an estimated start time of 7:30 PM. Game three's first pitch has not been altered so far and is still on track for a 1:00 PM start Sunday afternoon.

Blazers

The UAB baseball team fell to fellow in-state foe Alabama 4-1 on Tuesday night at Regions Field. UAB plated its lone run in the bottom of the ninth when Riley McCown hit a pop fly to left scoring Carter Pharis from second base.

Pharis has been impressive over the last ten games for the Blazers. He leads the Green & Gold with a .588 batting average over that time and has produced a .634 on-base percentage. Pharis has scored seven times and provided nine RBI, four doubles, and swiped his first four steals of the season. He has had multiple hits in eight of the last nine games.

The Blazers are the only team in Conference USA with eight triples and rank 30th in the nation. Brewer Hicklen ranks second in the country with five triples and is the only player in C-USA with four-or-more three baggers.

They also lead the conference in stolen bases with 27 and have only been caught six times so far on the year.
Back to the top

Final:

FAU 2  UAB 6

The Owls dropped their series opener against the Blazers (14-8, 3-1 C-USA) on Friday afternoon 6-2 as starter Marc Stewart struggled in his 4.2 innings pitched, giving up five runs on five hits, four of which were earned. Stewart also struck out five batters.

Jordan Poore and Andrew Jones combined to finish out the game, and allowed a collective three hits and a run.

UAB jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the bottom half of the third inning courtesy of a Brewer Hicklen homer. They later expanded the margin to five in the fifth as an Owl wild pitch and throwing error set up an RBI single from team leader Carter Pharis. The Blazers added the final run in the seventh inning.

Florida Atlantic (14-7-1, 3-1 C-USA) plated their two runs in the sixth behind Gary Mattis' sixth home run of the year, and sacrifice fly from catcher Kevin Abraham.

FAU stranded nine runners over the course of the game and registered eight hits, which is just under three below their season mark. They will look to regroup on the second half of Friday's double header which begins at 7:30 PM.

Back to the top

FAU responds with a WIN in Game Two thanks to Alex House's performance on The Hill:

Rubber match moved to Saturday at 1:30 PM as of now.

UPDATED SCHEDULE: 2017 FAU Baseball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest
Back to the top

Today's game is postponed in the top of the seventh with the Owls leading 7-2. It will be resumed tomorrow at 1:00 PM.
Back to the top

You mean suspended right? And if game was in 7th inning why do that and cause the away team to stay in town an extra day? In MLB baseball you just have to COMPLETE 5 1/2 innings for a game to be official. College rules I guess.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

You mean suspended right? And if game was in 7th inning why do that and cause the away team to stay in town an extra day? In MLB baseball you just have to COMPLETE 5 1/2 innings for a game to be official. College rules I guess.
Posted On: Mar 26th 2017, 8:28 AM #367977

It can be as short as 4 1/2 inning in both MLB and NCAA if home team in the lead. However, NCAA further allows conference rules to supersede the basic rules for get-away or travel days. By basic NCAA rules, it was a complete game. Though not applicable as this is game three, many conferences also have a rule that each of the first two games of series must be completed through at least 9 innings [8 1/2 if home team leading] before starting the subsequent game. I think C-USA has that rule, and it may also apply to game 3 so far as making best attempt to complete 9. Today (Sunday) is still the conference get-away day, so may as well go for the 9, and light up the board a bit more. Also, if situation was reversed, I'd still like our chances in the last three.

Back to the top

Thanks for sharing MLB! I like our chances too. I thought it strange to series started on Thursday at UAB. Guys could have slept at home after game 3 but……. Baseball BETTER NOT pull any football rain delay crap! :Laughing:

SERIOUSLY!!!!! :cool:
Back to the top

Also, yesterday was a year since our grounds crew and facilities pulled of a super-human effort to get the field ready for a double header (also vs UAB) after a freak storm flooded the field. There were what seemed like insurmountable issues with the field, dugouts, electrical system. I couldn't believe the amount of mud that settled in the dugouts, and the waterline was about 6" above field level. They even had the stadium disinfected after all the flooding. I honestly don't think any MLB crew could have pulled off what the FAU grounds crew and facilities did that day.

Oh, and we swept the double header.
Back to the top

MLBBoca said

Also, yesterday was a year since our grounds crew and facilities pulled of a super-human effort to get the field ready for a double header (also vs UAB) after a freak storm flooded the field. There were what seemed like insurmountable issues with the field, dugouts, electrical system. I couldn't believe the amount of mud that settled in the dugouts, and the waterline was about 6" above field level. They even had the stadium disinfected after all the flooding. I honestly don't think any MLB crew could have pulled off what the FAU grounds crew and facilities did that day.

Oh, and we swept the double header.
Posted On: Mar 26th 2017, 12:04 PM #367981
our guys could teach a course on athletic field maintenance for all the super human effort they put in every day.
Back to the top

The downtime has no effect on the Owls, as they immediately add two more runs at resumption of the game.

Eric Rivera singles to drive in Gary Mattis and and Aldrich Dejongh.

Bot 7th

FAU 9  UAB 2
Back to the top
Control functions: