Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2017 Basketball coaching search thread

Add topic

USMCOWL said

just look at schools like FGCU and North Florida. they dont have football programs so they rely heavily on basketball to earn their money and just going to the Big Dance even if it is for a game or in the case of FGCU making a small run is huge. It is exposure for the school and area which translates into money. And success and yes good hires helps bring additional cash. As for the case of WKU and MTSU. They havent spread their resources too thin. They have had more success than us which has allowed them to make hires like a Bobby Petrino who stayed at WKU for one year before moving onto Louisville. They have also had a more easy approach in dealing with their base than say our athletic department in the past. It just seemed like our department was"give me give me give me, because you went to school here", where MTSU and WKU and say Marshall have been like without your help we can not continue to be successful both on the field and off." It takes time, and yes constantly being successful to do things like this.

Posted On: Mar 15th 2017, 8:50 AM #367762

???
Marshall AD literally went on the radio last year and called out fans for not showing up during the middle of an awful season.

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

Thunder In Paradise :: Relationship between Fans and AD grows tense
So I have no idea what you are referring to.
Also FAU's athletic budget is higher than FGCU's even if you subtract the about the 45 percent student fee's provide.

College basketball if a funny sport especially in a state that isn't loaded with talent.
FGCU between 2007-2011 best season was 15 wins with two 10 win seasons and a 8 win season mixed in.
In the end you just have to find the right guy in the bargain bin enjoy a few nice seasons and expect him to leave.

Back to the top

My friend, Matty McCall just hired away from Ut-Chatt by Umass. He will be a superstar.
Back to the top

fauowl said

My friend, Matty McCall just hired away from Ut-Chatt by Umass. He will be a superstar.

Posted On: Mar 29th 2017, 9:36 PM #368018

Really???   We have more to offer than UMass, what the heck was Chun doing???
Back to the top

Don't crush me - I am still a "newbie" here.  But UMass has an Elite 8 and Final 4 appearances (although dated and now with an asterisk), and the contract looks like it will pay him upwards of $750k per year.  They also have a history that includes Dr. J and Marcus Camby as players, and John Calipari as a coach.  They have also been to the NCAA tournament 9 times, most recently as a #6 seed just a couple of years ago (2014) with a bunch of other NIT bids as well.  They are also in the A-10 who have some other very successful basketball programs like George Mason, VCU, Rhode Island, etc. that could lead to a multi-bid league some years. That is one of those leagues that is much more about basketball than football.

Would I want to live in Boca instead - heck yes!  But UMass is a pretty decent basketball job, and I think McCall's base plus bonuses at UTC was something like $230k.  A 300% raise will make the Winters a little more bearable.
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Don't crush me - I am still a "newbie" here.  But UMass has an Elite 8 and Final 4 appearances (although dated and now with an asterisk), and the contract looks like it will pay him upwards of $750k per year.  They also have a history that includes Dr. J and Marcus Camby as players, and John Calipari as a coach.  They have also been to the NCAA tournament 9 times, most recently as a #6 seed just a couple of years ago (2014) with a bunch of other NIT bids as well.  They are also in the A-10 who have some other very successful basketball programs like George Mason, VCU, Rhode Island, etc. that could lead to a multi-bid league some years. That is one of those leagues that is much more about basketball than football.

Would I want to live in Boca instead - heck yes!  But UMass is a pretty decent basketball job, and I think McCall's base plus bonuses at UTC was something like $230k.  A 300% raise will make the Winters a little more bearable.
Posted On: Mar 30th 2017, 12:26 PM #368024

Correct UMASS is a way better basketball program than we are, and probably will ever be.

Good for McCall. It was probably a blessing in disguise for him that Chun passed on him.
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Posted On: Mar 30th 2017, 12:26 PM #368024

It was a joke, they forgot to use the red font….

:cool:

Back to the top
Control functions: