Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2017 FAU Spring Game Thread

Add topic

owl in training said

Also someone needs to get Lane's kid some owl gear. Was that a gator shirt he had on? Time to go visit It's Owl Time.
Posted On: Apr 22nd 2017, 7:24 PM #368458

Love the thought. Thank you.  I didn't see it.  But whenever we get a new coach someone comes in and purchases the family new FAU Gear.  That did happen back in December.  Maybe they don't like my stuff.  :Crying2:
Back to the top

Totally random comments from today's event.

I agree with some of the posts here - Driskel seemed to be the better quarterback today.  Makes sense - he's the incumbent.  However I wanted to see Johnson push him a little more today.

That being said, maybe this was a base offense and not necessarily what they'll run in the fall.  I didn't catch every play, but it appeared we ran a spread offense (3,4,5 wide) without the quarterback keeper component.

Defense seemed to be slightly ahead of the offense, which is pretty common at this point.  It takes longer for an offense to gel.

I saw a big game photographer there today, so that should mean we are garnering some attention with the new coaching staff.  Good for FAU!

Good to see Aaron back.  I know, not a X's and O's observation but I think he does a good job with the fans in the stadium.

Will we see the Tampa 2 defense?  Hard for me to observe today but it appeared the middle linebacker dropped back into coverage from time to time.

Kalib Woods - super nice guy.  Thanks for coming over and talking to us for a few minutes at the end of the game.  You have fans for 2017!

Overall - can't wait for the Navy game and next season.  Let's keep the discussions and excitement up!
Back to the top

Mark, I know Owl In Training may have been joking, but Kiffin looked "not very head coach like".  I heard more than one fan mention it. I know he has his own style, but With all of the recruits and families there today, I would have thought he would represent a little better. Not overly impressed  so far. Rick posted stats. Driskel was the highlight .
Back to the top

One more thing. The lady that sang the National Anthem, I think Beverly something, one of the best live performances I have ever heard. Great Job !!
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Mark, I know Owl In Training may have been joking, but Kiffin looked "not very head coach like".  I heard more than one fan mention it. I know he has his own style, but With all of the recruits and families there today, I would have thought he would represent a little better. Not overly impressed  so far. Rick posted stats. Driskel was the highlight .
Posted On: Apr 22nd 2017, 8:54 PM #368464

Here's why I love Lane Kiffin: I don't think he cares about what he is wearing. I don't think he cares about how pretty our helmets are.  I don't think he cares about what our jerseys look like.  

I think he only cares about winning football games and how about that?

That's exactly what we need!

Let's Go Owls!

Back to the top

fauowl said

Local Owl said

Posted On: Apr 22nd 2017, 8:54 PM #368464

Here's why I love Lane Kiffin: I don't think he cares about what he is wearing. I don't think he cares about how pretty our helmets are.  I don't think he cares about what our jerseys look like.  

I think he only cares about winning football games and how about that?

That's exactly what we need!

Let's Go Owls!

Posted On: Apr 22nd 2017, 9:13 PM #368466

+1000

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Hoot_N_Holler said

Totally random comments from today's event.

I agree with some of the posts here - Driskel seemed to be the better quarterback today.  Makes sense - he's the incumbent.  However I wanted to see Johnson push him a little more today.

That being said, maybe this was a base offense and not necessarily what they'll run in the fall.  I didn't catch every play, but it appeared we ran a spread offense (3,4,5 wide) without the quarterback keeper component.

Defense seemed to be slightly ahead of the offense, which is pretty common at this point.  It takes longer for an offense to gel.

I saw a big game photographer there today, so that should mean we are garnering some attention with the new coaching staff.  Good for FAU!

Good to see Aaron back.  I know, not a X's and O's observation but I think he does a good job with the fans in the stadium.

Will we see the Tampa 2 defense?  Hard for me to observe today but it appeared the middle linebacker dropped back into coverage from time to time.

Kalib Woods - super nice guy.  Thanks for coming over and talking to us for a few minutes at the end of the game.  You have fans for 2017!

Overall - can't wait for the Navy game and next season.  Let's keep the discussions and excitement up!

Posted On: Apr 22nd 2017, 8:46 PM #368463

Agreed. The QB battle going into fall camp will interesting to watch. I bet unless Driskell has a complete setback in fall camp, I think he may be the starter going into the game versus navy, but Kiffin may keep him on a short rope. RB's looked very good in the game. I would have like to see our receiving corps be a little more aggressive going after balls, but it was the spring game so that may have been a factor. Defense looked very good, very lose, and well coached for the most part. I loved the new format of the spring game. Offense on one side of the field, defense on the other. Gave the game more a football fee to it than the whole team standing on one side line. Nice to see a decent size crowd for the spring game too. The new staff and optismim going into the season hopefully will help bring more butts into the seats. Also the later start time was very good too. No one was baking in the stands, or crowding underneath in the Delray Acura Deck. Maybe if we continue to have success with the spring games expand the fan fest just a little bit. Those are my thoughts.
Back to the top

Just an FYI… Pretty sure Lane's son had a shirt on that said "Florida Atlantic" for those keeping score.
Back to the top

Did not see the game obviously but Coach K's press conference was much better for him - more relaxed! I loved his comment about still 24 new guys coming in the fall, that is over 25% of the roster not here yet, including some Power 5 level talents - gonna be an interesting  fall camp with a healthy O line by then!

Hope everyone had a good time!!!
Back to the top

owlmart said

Just an FYI… Pretty sure Lane's son had a shirt on that said "Florida Atlantic" for those keeping score.
Posted On: Apr 22nd 2017, 10:28 PM #368472

Then I stand corrected. That blue threw me off. Must get my eyes checked. 👍
Back to the top
Control functions: