Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2017 FAU Spring Game Thread

Add topic

fauowl said

I have this thing about quality FAU Gear and there is a lot of it out there that is not quality, but most people won't notice.  Maybe I am too close to it & should realize it will always be out there.  

But it's just not my style to be quiet about things I am passionate about.
Posted On: Apr 23rd 2017, 9:26 PM #368508

I've noticed. For instance, the shirts that the 5th Avenue Shoppes Publix sells are pretty bad and as a result they're always hanging on a rack in the most random places in the store.

If they didn't half-ass it they could probably sell some of those shirts. But hey, that's more customers for you I guess.
Back to the top

Some deeper observations I saw.

I would like to see the exact breakdown, but I appeared that many of Johnson's were him with number 2 offense vs number 1 D.
As sated the online wasn't very good but as expected we are still missing starters and more JUCO guys coming in the spring.

Woods is doing what he can at center but his snaps were high which throws on timing in spread offensives and makes it harder for QB's to  hide the play on play fakes.
It also seems that this O will go fast and the players will just have to catch up. The last two coaches wanted to go fast, but seemed they would let only go as fast as the players feel comfortable.

CB's were the highlight of the day! I love Herb Miller's length playing nickel.
As pointed out Jose Barnwell is a great find who has  some good size and hasn't been in an offseason program yet.

I also want to point out again that this team will have 7-10 new starters and more depth on 2nd teams come fall between injury and JUCO's guys.

One thing to remember with FAU's D is if we are running what Ole miss used to do it was a very bend do not break D. Ole Miss mostly didn't have the guys LSU or Bama did but they beat them by forcing turnovers. I expect us to do the same.
Back to the top

I want one of those Adidas Visors in white. The one with the tall front.Can't find them any where. The ones at the stadium look like kids size. Or maybe I have an extra large head…
Back to the top

I expected the offense to dominate.  The offense finished last season strong.  With addition of a top QB plus returning players, I have to admit I was disappointed on the offense.  However. with a completely new staff there is not much we can conclude.  It is just another practice.
Back to the top

It's less than another practice…no one won or lost the starting job on Saturday, that game is for the hardcore that need to see football before the dreaded summer doldrums. 

Watered down play book, QBs aren't live, no contact in the second half = let the fans see some "football" and don't get anyone hurt before summer workouts. Mission accomplished. 

If we played Navy tomorrow, I'd bet Deandre starts bc of how he performed leading up to the end of Spring Drills. 

Anyone catch the Xavior Stinson like running back who transferred from FAMU playing in the second half? Name escapes me, looked pretty decent…poor guy has a massive depth chart to climb but he was one of those "hey that guys not bad" moments
Back to the top

teambeer said

It's less than another practice…no one won or lost the starting job on Saturday, that game is for the hardcore that need to see football before the dreaded summer doldrums.

Watered down play book, QBs aren't live, no contact in the second half = let the fans see some "football" and don't get anyone hurt before summer workouts. Mission accomplished.

If we played Navy tomorrow, I'd bet Deandre starts bc of how he performed leading up to the end of Spring Drills.

Anyone catch the Xavior Stinson like running back who transferred from FAMU playing in the second half? Name escapes me, looked pretty decent…poor guy has a massive depth chart to climb but he was one of those "hey that guys not bad" moments
Posted On: Apr 26th 2017, 6:39 AM #368530

That was Xavier, he has another year of eligibility *Red font*

Back to the top

That got me laughing out loud.....................makes it seven or eight years of eligibility for Xavier
Back to the top

FAMU? Didn't see anybody like that on the roster (unless it's not updated)

Do you mean Marcus Clark, from North Florida Christian in Tallahassee? He had some nice runs on his limited plays.

He started as a true freshman for us in 2013, though.

Beyond Singletary and Howell, you'd think any runningback's best chance to get playing time would be returning kickoffs/punts (or as a blocker for others, I guess)

A spot will open up next year when Howell graduates. It's probably Whyte's job to lose, though.
Back to the top

Back to the top

I am sure Buddy Howell is disappointed getting one carry on the spring game.  Shame on coaches  for that. 
Back to the top
Control functions: