Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2017 Orlando Sentinel Countdown: Owls #106

Local Owl said

This might sound like a gamer, but I think the Kiffen/Briles?Kiffen combination will quickly change FAU football. Their knowledge/experience/attitudes will help our young guys and we should see a quick turn around. Two years at the most. That is from my brain . Not my heart.  The guys at the baseball games quickly started talking football right after the last out of Saturday's game. One popular FAU football fan said "well, no  more home baseball games. Bring on football". Fall practice will be here before we know it. I hope the guys that are healing are moving along .
Posted On: May 21st 2017, 5:51 PM #368895

I don't think a lot of people understand the difference that this coaching staff over our last few is and how much of a difference that alone will make.  We are making comparisons to what was at best an FCS staff and that's being generous.  A lot of that was not Charlie's fault due to the budget but they were not game day coaches period!

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

FAU FOOTBALL COACHES NOW FBS POWER 5 LEVEL - NOT FCS LEVEL WITH NO HC EXPERIENCE TO BOOT!

OH, AND THEY RECRUIT WAY BETTER TOO!!!!! HOW MANY OF THEM HAVE RECEIVED NATIONAL RECRUITING HONORS!!!! JUST WAIT TIL THEY START WINNING AND THE NFL REALLY STARTS CALLING FAU, BE EVEN BETTER THAN WKU!!!!!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

FAU FOOTBALL COACHES NOW FBS POWER 5 LEVEL - NOT FCS LEVEL WITH NO HC EXPERIENCE TO BOOT!

OH, AND THEY RECRUIT WAY BETTER TOO!!!!! HOW MANY OF THEM HAVE RECEIVED NATIONAL RECRUITING HONORS!!!! JUST WAIT TIL THEY START WINNING AND THE NFL REALLY STARTS CALLING FAU, BE EVEN BETTER THAN WKU!!!!!
Posted On: May 21st 2017, 7:24 PM #368897

I get that the level of coaching is vastly improved but Charlie's recruiting plan to not get JUCOs really set us back more than people realize. We are so thin on depth and talent on both sides of the lines, the scrub starter from last year or Mr. Overrated are going to be running for their lives while opposing RBs and QBs will be running to the endzone (see MTSU game last yr). This isn't a joke anymore guys. FAU football is bad. Really bad. And has been for years now. I have really lost hope with this program. I think there is still a small window of opportunity to turn this thing around but it HAS to start this year. But despite all that, I still feel no excitement or optimism for the upcoming season. Really expecting another 3-9 effort. We can say all we want about a new coach like we did with Pelini and scrub Partridge but the result seems to always remain unchanged.
Back to the top

LawOwl said

GeorgiaOwl said

I get that the level of coaching is vastly improved but Charlie's recruiting plan to not get JUCOs really set us back more than people realize. We are so thin on depth and talent on both sides of the lines, the scrub starter from last year or Mr. Overrated are going to be running for their lives while opposing RBs and QBs will be running to the endzone (see MTSU game last yr). This isn't a joke anymore guys. FAU football is bad. Really bad. And has been for years now. I have really lost hope with this program. I think there is still a small window of opportunity to turn this thing around but it HAS to start this year. But despite all that, I still feel no excitement or optimism for the upcoming season. Really expecting another 3-9 effort. We can say all we want about a new coach like we did with Pelini and scrub Partridge but the result seems to always remain unchanged.
Posted On: May 21st 2017, 8:49 PM #368898

Don't watch 13 reasons why 
Back to the top

We had FCS and high school-level coaches before - can't even contest that, look at their previous stops. And Charlie was clearly in over his head. Not just the lack of second-half adjustments… that last game with anybody off the MTSU bus playing QB scoring a touchdown. Just a complete meltdown.

I disagree about not having FBS level players though. Most of these guys were sitting on other FBS offers - some of them really good FBS offers. They have the athleticism. It's just a matter of technique now.
Back to the top

Updated C-USA teams that have been listed so far:

130 UAB

126 Charlotte

110 Rice

106 FAU

100 North Texas

Back to the top

LawOwl said

GeorgiaOwl said

Dude programs hire bad football coaches and sometimes even two bad ones and it makes the program bad for a decade. It happens just look at Texas, but it doesn't mean their is "small window of opportunity".
Our talent for the most part is on par if not better than most teams in conference we were just outclassed on the sidelines.
To understand how big of a difference coaching makes look at UNT. In 2015 they went 1-11 and had 66-7 loss to FCS Portland State yet they managed to go 5-8 last year and were a very competitive team. People like you would have thought they had no chance going into 2016. Just look at our ODU game we jumped down that team's throat and were outclassing them in the 1st half yet they made adjustment we were not ready for and were blown away in the 2nd. That is an example if a game where we are just as talented if not more yet couldn't put a win together.

Also get off the JUCO addiction because that wasn't what set us back. There are tons of schools who recruit JUCO every year and suck because they can't get half of the kids on campus. JUCO should be for positions of great need to fill in gaps in high school recruiting.
Back to the top

LawOwl said

You make good points and I'm pretty much on the same boat as you.
First off let me start with a suggestion: "see MTSU game last yr" . I know a guy that can strap you up to a chair, and extract certain memories from your brain. It's a little painful, but absolutely worth it (Refer to movie PAYCHECK, by Ben Affleck, Uma Thurman) :Big-Grin:. I did it. As far as I know, we only played 11 games last year.

Reason for optimism: This is the first time we have a head coach with previous OC & HC experience and a national title under his belt since, you guessed it, Howard Schnellenberger. Our OC is young and has successful OC experience. So with that said, I believe we have a great chance to improve. I'm quite certain we will see better results.
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

LawOwl said

GeorgiaOwl said

Don't watch 13 reasons why 
Posted On: May 21st 2017, 9:34 PM #368899

Right?  

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

To quote a line from Walty12, one of his best all time:

Bulldoze the Stadium and stone the coaches!

:Laughing:  :Laughing:  :Laughing:
Back to the top
Control functions: