Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2017 Conference USA Baseball Tournament Thread

Add topic

Southern Miss walks off 6-5 with a homer to force another match-up with pesky Charlotte, which is currently tied at 5-5 in the 4th.

Below was the predicted finish by the Coaches, which looks relatively close to how things have panned out as far as the final four teams - the lone aside being Charlotte.

And of course Rice overcomes a lousy 4-11 start to league play to legitimize it by reaching the final for tomorrow.

PREDICTED ORDER OF FINISH
1.            Rice (5)                
2.            Florida Atlantic (4)
3.            Southern Miss (3)
4.            Old Dominion
5.            Louisiana Tech
6.            Charlotte
               FIU
8.            Marshall
Back to the top

Rice is playing well and we got blasted off the mound today. Several guys had poor pitbhing season so we are out……

Good season Owls, not great by any standards  but good!. Let's build on the good stuff and REALLY IMPROVE on the bad guys!!!!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Rice is playing well and we got blasted off the mound today. Several guys had poor pitbhing season so we are out……

Good season Owls, not great by any standards  but good!. Let's build on the good stuff and REALLY IMPROVE on the bad guys!!!!
Posted On: May 27th 2017, 9:51 PM #369007

This wasn't a good season by any stretch of the imagination.

I starting to wonder when is the last time we have won a big game vs a good team?
We always seem to come up a dollar short. Whether losing and opening round game to USF or LBS, unable to come up with big hits in games vs Florida in a regional, or how just how much Rice has owned us since we joined the conference.
We beat UNC in a game a few years ago but that was just to go on a blow a late lead in the next game.
Back to the top

Southern Miss got home runs by Matt Wallner and Daniel Keating and a key, two-run double from Bryant Bowen in a four-run eighth inning to take a 10-8 victory over Charlotte and eliminate them.

It will be Rice vs Southern Miss for the Championship today at 2:00 PM.

For FAU to have any hope of obtaining a bid, Southern Miss will need to win it.

UPDATED BRACKET: 2017 Conference USA Baseball Tournament Thread - FAU Owl's Nest

Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

GeorgiaOwl said

Posted On: May 27th 2017, 9:51 PM #369007
This wasn't a good season by any stretch of the imagination.

I starting to wonder when is the last time we have won a big game vs a good team?
We always seem to come up a dollar short. Whether losing and opening round game to USF or LBS, unable to come up with big hits in games vs Florida in a regional, or how just how much Rice has owned us since we joined the conference.
We beat UNC in a game a few years ago but that was just to go on a blow a late lead in the next game.

Posted On: May 28th 2017, 7:59 AM #369008
We swept a ranked UCF this year though. And yes it was a DISAPPOINTING season.

UNC is a Power 5 Conference member, Rice has a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP PEDIGREE, those are there advantages and a large reason why I keep trying to "prod" our admin into bringing the baseball AND softball facilities into the 21st century.

And with now not one but TWO MLB caliber baseball facilities in the County it frustrates me the way FAU (A STATE EDUCATIONAL FACILITY!) does NOT get local or State financial support for it's sports facilities but BILLIONAIRES DO!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

And with now not one but TWO MLB caliber baseball facilities in the County it frustrates me the way FAU (A STATE EDUCATIONAL FACILITY!) does NOT get local or State financial support for it's sports facilities but BILLIONAIRES DO!
Posted On: May 28th 2017, 9:33 AM #369010

I really don't want the state to fund a baseball facility for FAU because then they will need to fund baseball facilities for FSU, UF, UCF, FIU, UNF, UWF, FAMU, FGCU, FPU, NCF, & USF.  No New Taxes!  :Big-Grin:
Back to the top

I would rather wait a couple of years . Then our football team will be winning . The stadium will be sold out.  FAU will be looking for things to spend all that extra money on. One can dream.
Back to the top

Rice has been irrelevant for most of the year, but the showed up when it matters the most. I hate seeing them as best Owls in the Conference (not just in baseball).
I'm sure we're gonna be back on top next year. Go Owls.
Back to the top

fauowl said

GeorgiaOwl said

Posted On: May 28th 2017, 9:33 AM #369010
I really don't want the state to fund a baseball facility for FAU because then they will need to fund baseball facilities for FSU, UF, UCF, FIU, UNF, UWF, FAMU, FGCU, FPU, NCF, & USF.  No New Taxes!  :Big-Grin:
Posted On: May 28th 2017, 10:56 AM #369011
Not fund it but how about a little help???:cool:Most of those football and baseball and basketball stadiums in the "older" Florida schools WERE built with tax dollars!:Winking:
Back to the top

Rice wins it 5-4, meaning C-USA would have to have three bids.

Not happening, FAU will be left out now for sure.
Back to the top
Control functions: