Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Happy Memorial Day

Add topic

As American's go out and celebrate this Memorial Day with BBQ's and the Day at the beach, we must remember the sacrifices made by those brave men and women who gave the ultimate sacrifice in the defense of this great country. So to close I say this: "TO CAPTAIN ROBERT SECHER. SIR YOU HELPED TO MOLD ME INTO BECOMING THE BEST MARINE POSSIBLE. YOU ARE NEVER FORGOTTEN SIR. RIP. KIA: OCTOBER 8, 2006, HIT, IRAQ." 
Back to the top

Hey USMC Owl. I want to start by saying thank you for your service and all those around the world paying the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. What I am about to say, I will prob get hammered for and I do not want you to take it personally or judge me on it but just bare with me…. I respect the troops and their efforts but as we celebrate this memorial day, something dawned on me… Why are celebrating these troops? I ask this because it's really hard for me to fathom that someone would actually voluntarily sign up to put their life at risk to advance a government interest for a government that doesn't care about them…. We've seen how terrible the failures of the Iraq and Afghan wars are. The state of veteran affairs in our country. Why do we celebrate this? The horrors of war? The ptsd our troops continue to battle long after their time on the battlefield is over? I find it hard for me to genuinely rejoice and celebrate the fallen troops because of how big of a failure "the cause" of fighting was. If anything, I feel sorry for people currently serving. I have a relative and close friend that were in the Army. Both hated it and it's easy to see why. I think as a country we are too quick to celebrate these terrible events as stories of triumph when really, nobody wins at the end… Maybe I'm too deep into my "intellectual liberal" mentality as my father puts it or maybe because I've worked in the private sector most of my adult life where everything really comes down to $$$ but I just can't fathom why anyone would really put their life on the line "for the cause". It's bs to me honestly…. Again, I don't invite judgement or conflict but we are in the midst of the summer doldrums and it's something that has just been on my mind… God bless USMC Owl and all troops!
Back to the top

@Lawowl. I will not get too deep. It is a good thing that have a small percentage of worriers and not everyone thinks like you. Otherwise, you would probably not have the right to an education or earn $$$$$$. Oh, and probably no private sector. Thanks USMCOWL.
Back to the top

If you think Memorial Day is about a celebration of war then you just do not understand what the day is about.  MOST men and women who join the military do so because they want to serve our country, believe in our ideals and hold are Constitution dear to their heart.  Very few people join the military because of an administration.  Administrations change, world events change.  The problems of the VA and leadership (or lack there of) in Washington has nothing to do with Memorial Day.

I would suggest reading up on Memorial Day.  I would also suggest next year waking up early and going to a Memorial Day Ceremony.

Just to be clear Memorial Day is not a celebration of war.  It's a celebration of the men and women and didn't come home so we do not forget them.  Its also a celebration of the men and women who came home.  Some like you said permanently injured.  This is a sacrifice most of us were unwilling to make to support the way both you and I live.   Unfortunately, Memorial Day has been lumped in with Labor Day as a book end to Summer for most.
Back to the top

Memorial Day said

If you think Memorial Day is about a celebration of war then you just do not understand what the day is about.  MOST men and women who join the military do so because they want to serve our country, believe in our ideals and hold are Constitution dear to their heart.  Very few people join the military because of an administration.  Administrations change, world events change.  The problems of the VA and leadership (or lack there of) in Washington has nothing to do with Memorial Day.

I would suggest reading up on Memorial Day.  I would also suggest next year waking up early and going to a Memorial Day Ceremony.

Just to be clear Memorial Day is not a celebration of war.  It's a celebration of the men and women and didn't come home so we do not forget them.  Its also a celebration of the men and women who came home.  Some like you said permanently injured.  This is a sacrifice most of us were unwilling to make to support the way both you and I live.   Unfortunately, Memorial Day has been lumped in with Labor Day as a book end to Summer for most.
Posted On: May 30th 2017, 9:07 AM #369022

+1000

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I have to just forget I read this.  If I got started, I wouldn't be able to stop. 
Back to the top

bb said

I have to just forget I read this.  If I got started, I wouldn't be able to stop. 
Posted On: May 30th 2017, 11:37 AM #369024

I started typing and had to do the same, I would lose it.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I meant to type warriors. Not worriers. I was trying to stay calm while typing.
Back to the top

Guys he's entitled to his opinion. It's what me and millions of my fellow Americans fought and died for. 
Back to the top

War will make much more sense on the other side, here it is a necessary means towards various management exercises.

In the meantime make sure the reconciliation plan is in place for that trip, that is the most important decision of one's life.

Eternity is a long time.

Oh, and God Bless the USA!

Back to the top
Control functions: