Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME DAY THREAD: FAU @ #22 Nebraska - 08/30/14 @ 3:30 PM

Add topic

GeorgiaOwl said

grayowl said

Musing about the Nebraska after a 500-mile drive home: In addition to being surprised, I was disappointed. This was as bad a beat-down, if not worse, than any I have seen for the Owls – and that's a lot of beat-downs (Florida, Texas, Alabama, Nebraska a few years back, Kansas State, Oklahoma state twice…). I thought the bright spots were the punter and Lucky Whitehead on the returns. I know some complained that the punter didn't get the ball inside the 20. But believe me, he averted disastrous field position a number of times. All in all, I cannot think of others. I suppose you could argue that the first offensive drive was a s bright spot. But it was overwhelmed by subsequent offensive sequences. Sometimes, the Owls held the ball about 60 seconds. When I got home, I watched a recording of the Wyoming game. The Cowboys have a couple of pretty good up-the-middle runners….
Posted On: Sep 1st 2014, 6:09 PM #333936

Wyoming will be a good test too! But they ARE NOT the level of Nebraska and our DT's are suppossed to be a strength of this team, lots of experience and size.

Last year UM and Auburn ran at will against us too but we did REAL well vs. our own kind. That same result can and needs to happen this year.

To the New DC (Roc) if your new "schemes" are too difficult and cause the D to regress, can em and go back to what these men PROVED they could do well last season - out athlete them and let 'em ALL flow too the ball! Aggressive swarming D not a slow reacting thinking D like we have tried to install here in years past TO GREAT DISASTER!

I think the person who should ne most disappointed with the game would by Mr. Bryamt  as he became the focus of much pre-game media atention and for a D and DL to give up that many yards in front of your family, OUCH!

Brandin (AND THE ENTIRE D), use this game (and the next, unfortunately) to get ready for a 10 game win streak, don't let this game  bring you or the team down at all. USE IT FOR MOTIVATION!
Posted On: Sep 1st 2014, 7:02 PM #333938

Wyoming will be a stout opponent.  Craig Bohl is a coach focused on fundamentals.   He built North Dakota State into a legendary FCS program - that has annually kicked the fannies of FBS teams on the road.  NDSU has made the 'money game' painful for their opponents.  He was essentially available and was the guy I'd hoped FAU hired after CP.   

He's a guy who models his process after his mentor and former boss, Tom Osborne.  Wyoming will come out with fire and give a first class effort, exhibit good fundamentals and not shoot itself in the foot with penalties or turnovers.  

And he has a history of building teams with good lines and nasty defense.  

This will be a real measurement game for FAU.  Be in this game - hopefully win it - and you have something good going on this year.  
Back to the top

From now on, I wish we schedule those beatdown games half way thru the season. It was an exciting 1st quarter to watch and after that… well let's just say I stopped watching at the half. I don't know how much this hurts us recruiting wise.
Let's go Owls!!!!
Back to the top

Ronniehuskerron said

GeorgiaOwl said

grayowl said

Musing about the Nebraska after a 500-mile drive home: In addition to being surprised, I was disappointed. This was as bad a beat-down, if not worse, than any I have seen for the Owls – and that's a lot of beat-downs (Florida, Texas, Alabama, Nebraska a few years back, Kansas State, Oklahoma state twice…). I thought the bright spots were the punter and Lucky Whitehead on the returns. I know some complained that the punter didn't get the ball inside the 20. But believe me, he averted disastrous field position a number of times. All in all, I cannot think of others. I suppose you could argue that the first offensive drive was a s bright spot. But it was overwhelmed by subsequent offensive sequences. Sometimes, the Owls held the ball about 60 seconds. When I got home, I watched a recording of the Wyoming game. The Cowboys have a couple of pretty good up-the-middle runners….
Posted On: Sep 1st 2014, 6:09 PM #333936

Wyoming will be a good test too! But they ARE NOT the level of Nebraska and our DT's are suppossed to be a strength of this team, lots of experience and size.

Last year UM and Auburn ran at will against us too but we did REAL well vs. our own kind. That same result can and needs to happen this year.

To the New DC (Roc) if your new "schemes" are too difficult and cause the D to regress, can em and go back to what these men PROVED they could do well last season - out athlete them and let 'em ALL flow too the ball! Aggressive swarming D not a slow reacting thinking D like we have tried to install here in years past TO GREAT DISASTER!

I think the person who should ne most disappointed with the game would by Mr. Bryamt  as he became the focus of much pre-game media atention and for a D and DL to give up that many yards in front of your family, OUCH!

Brandin (AND THE ENTIRE D), use this game (and the next, unfortunately) to get ready for a 10 game win streak, don't let this game  bring you or the team down at all. USE IT FOR MOTIVATION!
Posted On: Sep 1st 2014, 7:02 PM #333938

Wyoming will be a stout opponent.  Craig Bohl is a coach focused on fundamentals.   He built North Dakota State into a legendary FCS program - that has annually kicked the fannies of FBS teams on the road.  NDSU has made the 'money game' painful for their opponents.  He was essentially available and was the guy I'd hoped FAU hired after CP.   

He's a guy who models his process after his mentor and former boss, Tom Osborne.  Wyoming will come out with fire and give a first class effort, exhibit good fundamentals and not shoot itself in the foot with penalties or turnovers.  

And he has a history of building teams with good lines and nasty defense.  

This will be a real measurement game for FAU.  Be in this game - hopefully win it - and you have something good going on this year.  
Posted On: Sep 1st 2014, 7:19 PM #333943

I agree with all of that but I don't think he has enough time yet to really put his stamp on this team.  I am glad we play them this year and not a year or two down the road.   That said, we won't really know what we have to face Wyoming until the Tulsa game.  

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Swiss motha fukin cheese

Posted On: Aug 30th 2014, 4:53 PM #333711

Is this meaningful and informational?
Back to the top

Winning said

owlcountry40 said

Swiss motha fukin cheese

Posted On: Aug 10th 2017, 3:18 PM #369840

Yea. the D Swiss Cheese throughout Charlie's career here. This game was a representation of the soft loser football we played over the next three seasons. All while being told "we are heading in the right directions".
Back to the top

Enough very close loses to get away with that line, then came the BLOWOUTS LAST YEAR! And NOT to Power 5 teams only!
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Winning said

owlcountry40 said

Swiss motha fukin cheese

Posted On: Aug 10th 2017, 3:18 PM #369840

Yea. the D Swiss Cheese throughout Charlie's career here. This game was a representation of the soft loser football we played over the next three seasons. All while being told "we are heading in the right directions".
Posted On: Aug 10th 2017, 3:35 PM #369845

OC is so right about Charlie. Softest football coach I have ever seen in my life. What a loser! He resembles a soccer mom with a butch haircut when on the sidelines. What a clown!
Back to the top
Control functions: