Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Owls Scrimmage Mixed Bag for Kiffin

Owls Scrimmage Mixed Bag for Kiffin

The Florida Atlantic football team saw many highlights during Saturday’s intersquad scrimmage held on their home field at FAU Stadium.

All told, the offense found the end zone five times, while Owl defenders had three takeaways in the red zone.

“It was good to have a midday scrimmage like that, training in the heat. That’s why we put this one and the next one at that time. It’s good for our guys to learn", said Head Coach Lane Kiffin (pictured).

"Most guys played between 40-45 plays today, a little more than half a game. It’s good for guys to see that we have a long ways to go. Way too many turnovers. I thought our guys played hard at times, but they definitely need to master the situations.”

Offensive Highlights
  • Buddy Howell scored the day’s first touchdown on a two-yard run at the 9:33 mark in the opening quarter.
  • Though the offense didn’t score again in the first half, they did twice in the span of about two minutes early in the second. Daniel Parr connected with Kamrin Solomon on a crossing route for the second score of the afternoon, and Steven Frank hooked up with Denzel Houston for a 32-yard touchdown 2:06 later. That was Houston’s second long reception of the day, the other coming down the ride sideline from Parr.
  • Late the day, the offense was successful twice during two-minute drills. A long completion from Jason Driskel to Henry Bussey came down the near sideline, though Bussey’s momentum carried him out of bounds at the eight. The two then connected on a three-yard score.
  • Later, Parr went over the middle again to a wide-open John Raine in what would turn out to be the final touchdown of the scrimmage.

Defensive Highlights
  • Three times, when the Owl offense was on the precipice of a touchdown, the defense came away with red zone turnovers. The first came when Malike Vigille scooped up a fumble on the goal line and returned it 52 yards the other way.
  • Later, they got down to the four-yard line, but a pass into the end zone was picked off by junior cornerback Sheldon Lewis.
  • Then, with time running out in an end-of-quarter simulation, freshman defensive back Khamal Ellison leapt high for an interception in the end zone as well.
  • Big hits on the day, drawing “oohs” and “aahs” from the crowd, came from Jake Stoshak and Andrew Soroh; Silver Saunders and Jeremiah Taleni each had sacks; and Tim Bonner and Raekwon Williams combined for a substantial tackle-for-loss

Special Teams
  • Ryan Rickel consistently boomed long and high punts during punt coverage drills.
  • During a kick return, Jalen Kinder made multiple players from the opposing side miss.
  • Greg Joseph was a perfect 3-for-3 on extra points after the touchdowns scored during regular play

The team returns to the practice field next on Monday at 10:00 AM at the Tom Oxley Center.

Back to the top

I was at the scrimmage … some takes.

- I know DeAndre didn't have the best day, but it's pretty obvious that he's going to have a role in the offense this season given his skill set and ability to run. I believe KB will have some RPO type packages for him.
- We're stacked at running back. Motor hardly played, but you can tell that it's just a talented group. There's no reason not to run the ball a bunch this season with Buddy, Whyte, Clark and Tisdale also on the team.
- D'Anfernee McGriff is listed at 215, but he has to be pushing 250. Just weird seeing him run around out there.
- Kain Daub played primarily defensive end. He's out of shape (has a gut) and has limited if any pass rushing moves, but you can see the upside. I would bet we see him on the field a lot once conference play rolls around and we see more spread offenses.
- Quran Hafiz isn't talked about much, but he was a good find. He's very physical in the nickel and reminds me in some ways of a young CreVon LeBlanc.
- Tim Boner looked good in 1-on-1s. Nice to finally have a defensive end that can get to the quarterback. 
Back to the top

"D'Anfernee McGriff is listed at 215, but he has to be pushing 250. Just weird seeing him run around out there."

Was not there to see him, just curious what you mean, in a good way or a bad way? And what of McNeal, any impact there yet. I know we have listed HIM at TE, seems like the 250 guy who can still run would be more dangerous there. Just a comment. And what of Terry, did he play WR and are we using HIS height well?
Back to the top

Any "official" stats for the scrimmage posted anywhere yet?
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

"D'Anfernee McGriff is listed at 215, but he has to be pushing 250. Just weird seeing him run around out there."

Was not there to see him, just curious what you mean, in a good way or a bad way? And what of McNeal, any impact there yet. I know we have listed HIM at TE, seems like the 250 guy who can still run would be more dangerous there. Just a comment. And what of Terry, did he play WR and are we using HIS height well?

Posted On: Aug 13th 2017, 9:09 AM #369897

Nate Terry ran stadiums for about an hour with a group of other players and then stood on the sidelines. Looked like he was in the doghouse or something. As for McGriff, the general buzz coming out of camp is that he's been great and makes plays, but he just in no way looks like a WR. I guess it's impressive that a guy his size is able to get in and out of his breaks and create separation. 
Back to the top

Guy Who Gives Takes said

GeorgiaOwl said

Posted On: Aug 13th 2017, 9:09 AM #369897

Nate Terry ran stadiums for about an hour with a group of other players and then stood on the sidelines. Looked like he was in the doghouse or something. As for McGriff, the general buzz coming out of camp is that he's been great and makes plays, but he just in no way looks like a WR. I guess it's impressive that a guy his size is able to get in and out of his breaks and create separation. 
Posted On: Aug 13th 2017, 1:00 PM #369901

Thanks and sounds good! Hope he can get some real yards after catch with that size, should be hard to bring down for a 190 lb. CB or even a 210 lb. safety (good sized one).

Back to the top
Control functions: