Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2017 FAU Football Fall Camp

It's a football blog, not an encyclopedia, let alone wikipedia ::treats as such:: speculation is the fun, join. They will rotate the first game or two, but deandres much better live than in a green jersey. If Parr wins it, means that we have one hell of qb room. Remember the days of…Kooi…glad those are behind us.
Back to the top

The football team completed practice 18 today and both sides of the ball continue to show progress as each practice becomes more and more competitive with players vying for a starting spot.

Head Coach Lane Kiffin

“I thought (it was) one of the better practices. We did a better job taking care of the ball.  Bad turnover there coming out, but good job by the defense in switching the momentum of the drill. Better job with the snaps today. As always, a lot of work to do. Keep pushing and we gotta start figuring out who is going to play here by the end of Saturday.”

• In 7-on-7, Daniel Parr found James Brunson on a slant into the end zone
  • Though James Pierre knocked down one pass attempt, Parr was good on the next, connecting with John Raine for a score
  • Two running backs each found success in the early going of full drills: a dump off to “Motor” Devin Singletary went for a big gain, and “Buddy” Gregory Howell, Jr., raced up the middle untouched and into the secondary
  • When the offense found themselves in their own end zone, defensive lineman Hunter Snyder batted down a pass at the line of scrimmage
  • Jason Driskel hooked up with DeAndre McNeal in double coverage to move the sticks
  • Safety Jalen Young recovered a fumble, and Haiden Nagel notched a sack in the end zone for a safety
  • Driskel later threaded the needle to LaDante Harris for first-down yardage over the middle
Back to the top

I was listening to 94.3 wzzr today. Periodically they have the Jim Rhome sports minute. Today the subject was Lane Kiffen . He said Franklin was transferring  in  and that Kiffen was looking to increase the talent level. I thought  this was going to be a good story. Then he said, Kiffen just wants quick wins so he can leave and let someone else clean up the mess he leaves behind.  This is the kind of stuff that make Rhome such a lovable guy.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

I was listening to 94.3 wzzr today. Periodically they have the Jim Rhome sports minute. Today the subject was Lane Kiffen . He said Franklin was transferring  in  and that Kiffen was looking to increase the talent level. I thought  this was going to be a good story. Then he said, Kiffen just wants quick wins so he can leave and let someone else clean up the mess he leaves behind.  This is the kind of stuff that make Rhome such a lovable guy.
Posted On: Aug 16th 2017, 7:30 PM #369994

Well, could be right, but with the amount of talent he is bringing in, if he does leave after two years of huge success (9 or 10 wins - will take that for the BigBoys to give him another shot at HC) other QUALITY coaches will want to come here - like USF and Strong this year!

OR

He wants to really build HIS Boise EAST!
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Posted On: Aug 16th 2017, 7:30 PM #369994

Lane is going to keep us in the national conversation and athletes, like we have never seen before at FAU, will follow. Rome did the same sh*t with Stanton and this homerun streak, something along the lines of "Derek Jeter, if you knew what was good for this kid, get him out of Miami and on New York, Boston, or LA" he's an idiot
Back to the top

Well given his reputation so far, teams will have to be really desperate to hire him after two years - we were pretty freaking desperate lol. I think he's here for three years. What I do think could happen is that his coordinators could easily get recruited after a year or two - If Briles does well, we would have taken the risk of hiring a troubled coordinator coming off a massive scandal, and he'll be in the press as a guy who came in, rehabbed his image, and gets hired by some bigger school, probably Auburn.

But GeorgiaOwl, I agree - the talent is here for the next coach to win easily.
Back to the top

David Slavic said

What I do think could happen is that his coordinators could easily get recruited after a year or two - If Briles does well, we would have taken the risk of hiring a troubled coordinator coming off a massive scandal, and he'll be in the press as a guy who came in, rehabbed his image, and gets hired by some bigger school

Agreed. I think Kiffin will be here for more than a year but some of the others may head out if we have a good season.

Back to the top

The part of Rhomes segment that I didn't like was the word mess. The only true mess would be if we were in trouble with the NCAA. Leaving to go somewhere due to success is not a mess. I would love it if Lane settles in to a nice life in Boca, builds this program into a quality team, and stays past his contract. I would not blame him for eventually taking a mega contract from a big boy. But I hope that is down the road. Lane certainly is a focal point of sports news.
Back to the top

The Owls put in a full day’s work on the practice field and then joined their fellow FAU student-athletes at three different dorms on the Boca Raton Campus to assist with “Freshmen Move in Day.”

Head Coach Lane Kiffin

“Good stuff today. Guys came out, practiced pretty hard. Again we have got to learn situations and master situations. We are putting ourselves in some tough offensive scenarios there, in game situations. (We) took a couple of sacks that would have ended the game. Obviously, some things to learn from…We’ll go a little lighter tomorrow. Saturday will be a big evaluation for us. Continue to get more game ready after Saturday.”

• Henry Bussey III made a nice catch of a tipped DeAndre Johnson pass during the two-minute drill
  • Nate Terry added a sliding catch from Daniel Parr and then adjusted to catch another, this time from Johnson, in the end zone
  • Newcomer Jeremiah Taleni hurried a Jason Driskel pass and Leighton McCarthy recorded a sack versus Parr
  • Parr recovered with a quick slant pass to LaDante Harris
  • Rashad Smith was credited with breaking up a Driskel pass during 7-on-7 and receiver Bobby Mitchell capped off the session by hauling in a fade pattern pass in the end zone from Parr
  • Raekwon Williams had a diving interception, as did James Pierre, as his slipped through the FAU receiver’s hands
  • Chris Tooley just missed an interception but snagged an INT the very next play
Back to the top

FAU Fotball completed their last day of preseason camp to be held on the Tom Oxley Practice Fields Friday.

Head Coach Lane Kiffin

“A little lighter practice today. We are trying to get some of these legs back for tomorrow so that we can get a good eval. But we still have to do some work like a normal Friday. Just getting guys used to practicing in helmets. We still have a lot of work to do. It doesn’t change how we practice. So, I thought guys did a good job today.”

• Three returning quarterbacks saw action under center during 7-on-7 and team drills
  • Leighton McCarthy recorded a sack
  • Devin Singletary moved the ball five yards in the red zone
  • DeAndre Johnson connected with James Brunson to score from 10 yards out and then used his legs to do the same
  • Jason Driskel found Willie Wright in the back of the end zone and then the Owls began work on the two-minute drill where Kain Daub recorded a sack
  • Johnson hit Kamrin Solomon to move the chains and then kept the ball for more yardage
  • Chris Tooley recorded an INT off a tipped pass
  • Driskel found Jordan Merrell for 10-plus yards
  • Anthony Bennett recorded a sack

The team will hold their final scrimmage tomorrow at Schnellenberger Field Saturday, with Coach Kiffin taking note on some important final starter positions.

The Owls begin classes and Navy game prep starting Monday.
Back to the top