Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Tailgating

owlsdad said

@teambeer - how early can you get in?  When I smoke a brisket or shoulder, it is generally a 12-17 hour ordeal.  So my BBQ-related tailgates are already cooked the night before, with the grill there to warm-up pans full of pork goodness.  The caveat are ribs - I can get them done in a stack and rotate method in a couple of hours or so, and if we have time I can do those from begging to end at the tailgate.  I also grew up close to Asheville (Western NC is tomato-based sauce), but lived in Raleigh for nearly 17 years (Eastern NC is vinegar-based sauce).  We make some pretty decent homemade BBQ sauce, so if you are a "pork-guy" I'll bring you a jar full.

The timing is another important question for a newbie, as most places have some kind of policy that say something like no more than 4 hours before kickoff and no tailgating afterwards.  Of course that is stated policy and not necessarily reality, so trying to gauge what is too early and what post-game looks like in the Silver lot.
Posted On: Aug 22nd 2017, 3:41 PM #370129

Oh I'm well versed in the BBQ sauces of America! I love a good vinegar sauce on a pulled pork. As for my que timing, given the size of the briskets, i throw em on the night before and expect to hit my temp right before it's time to go. I plan for a 2-4 hour rest wrapped in HD Foil in a cooler with towels wrapping it all, it's just like a warming box that most of the smokehouses use and they come out piping hot. Sadly we don't have the ability to get in the night before to tailgate and run a smoker.

Campus rules are 4 hours before kick however it's hit or miss, there are times when I pull in exactly 4 hours out and there are groups set up and partying and then times when I show up early and am forced to sit in my car like a bum. No one has ever given us trouble for victory sausages or loser cornbread but we only stick around for an hour, I imagine if you're still there at 3am the police might have an opinion. If we beat Navy, they're welcome to talk to me about it!

The silver and red lots are next to each other, rules are the same for both. 
Back to the top

For ribs I'll do them the night before and just grill em at the tailgate to get some heat on em. 
Back to the top

History has shown said

History has shown you don't want to be named the starting QB.  Going back to our first QB battle at the inception of the program the named starter (by coin flip) didn't keep the job very long.
Posted On: Aug 22nd 2017, 7:22 PM #370137

Hey, you be nice to garret Jahn!
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Who is the group that tailgates in the Silver lot. Extreme north west corner. Right by the intersection by the stadium. I always admire their set up.
Posted On: Aug 22nd 2017, 3:51 PM #370131

Tell me more about this set up.  I'm the ring leader of our tailgate (which I think is pretty rad) but I don't get the chance to get out and look around.

I'm always on the hunt for the next cool accessory or gear!
Back to the top

teambeer said

History has shown said

History has shown you don't want to be named the starting QB.  Going back to our first QB battle at the inception of the program the named starter (by coin flip) didn't keep the job very long.
Posted On: Aug 22nd 2017, 7:22 PM #370137
Hey, you be nice to garret Jahn!

Posted On: Aug 22nd 2017, 7:33 PM #370140

That was not a critique of Jarret.  I am a big fan of those guys, they created all the expectations we have today.
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Meals depend on my wife - I typically do whatever meat we are having and she typically adds some kind of appetizer, a couple of sides, and maybe even desert (depending on crowd/how many "friends" we make).  I usually plan ahead and smoke pulled pork BBQ or a brisket for at least one game - I worked at a BBQ restaurant in NC all through college.  For the other games, we bring either a grill or fryer depending on what we plan (fryer for anything from wings to pulling out packs of fish we catch on a couple of annual trips we make to Amelia Island).  I also will bring fresh shrimp for either a boil or sautéing them to a couple of games - generally as appetizers.

Drinks usually move from beer during the day and Gin and Tonics for early season games, switching to bourbon for night games or when the season turns colder.  But given it is Boca, not sure when "bourbon season" would ever start.  In NC, it was by the 3rd or 4th game of the season.

And side-note - as a first-timer, I know we will be in the Silver lot, and will have a group of at least 7 (plus whoever my daughter drags over with her).  I'd love to meet some of the guys on this board.  We'll probably show up around 4 or so to start setting up (assuming we can get in the lot) on Friday.  Our play list will be figured out as we settle in as Owls fans this season.
Posted On: Aug 22nd 2017, 3:16 PM #370126

Living in Wake Forest, North Cackalack - I must say, some pulled pork with a vinegar based sauce is delish!  Don't forget a lil slaw on the side.  Sadly, I won't make any home games, but I will tailgating and representing the OWLS at ODU and Charlotte.  We just got a Publix about 5 mins from my house, so I'm thinking some chicken tenders and some good NC pulled pork.  GO OWLS!
Back to the top

NCOwl - we hope to drive up for the Nov. 25 game at UNC-Charlotte. We were there two years ago for the RAIN GAME! But WE WON (BARELY!).
Back to the top
Control functions: