Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU @ Old Dominion Game Thread - October 7, 2017

Add topic

Back to the top

Silver_Bullet32 said

I think if we played Navy or Buffalo in November,  the outcome would be different.

Hmm.

Buffalo, yes.

Navy, I'm not sure. We still can't stop the run.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Missed 100% of the game . Followed it on my phone.Thanks Jack D. for the updates. How bout dem OWLS!  This my friends is what big time coaches can do.
Posted On: Oct 7th 2017, 10:11 PM #371730

My pleasure! It's a lot of fun when the games are like this one!  :cool:  :cool:

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Silver_Bullet32 said

Owl2Doc said

Maybe Wilder was just trying to save face because, for the first time in forever, we have coaches who can out-coach other people.
Posted On: Oct 8th 2017, 10:51 AM #371746

This is becoming very apparent….I think if we played Navy or Buffalo in November,  the outcome would be different. …CUSA should be on notice

Posted On: Oct 8th 2017, 3:20 PM #371759

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.  

We still cannot throw a simple vertical pass.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

The vertical pass issue is a problem, to be sure. But when we seriously try it, who knows? Definite issue right now: Overconfidence because of Old Dominion game.
Back to the top

We had a couple decent passes last weekend, hopefully it continues...
Back to the top

Rick said

We had a couple decent passes last weekend, hopefully it continues…
Posted On: Oct 9th 2017, 11:22 AM #371777
Here is my take on the passing game vs ODU -

We were just gashing them with the run.  So much so they starting stacking the box.  Even at that point with obvious 1-1 situations we were not able to execute.

It's going to be a real problem when we play teams like Marshall and La Tech.  If they can contain our run game, we are going to be forced to pass effectively to win.  Lets see…

I know this much - we wont continue to pickup 1st downs on 3rd and long with delayed runs.  That cat is out of the bag and teams will be defending accordingly.

I also think Gray Owl makes a good point.  Usually a bye week is seen as a good thing.  However, we aren't used to being in the position we are in heading into a bye week.  I understand we have a more capable coaching staff now - they better have these boys coming out ready to play vs UNT.  We come out over confident and flat for the first half - will be a serious problem.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

LaTech, Marshall, and WKU will be our biggest challenges with a subpar passing game as the offering…

The good thing is that they are both passing teams, although they will probably try to run it more against us for obvious reasons.

:Crying:
Back to the top

walty12 said

Rick said

We had a couple decent passes last weekend, hopefully it continues…
Posted On: Oct 9th 2017, 11:22 AM #371777
Here is my take on the passing game vs ODU -

We were just gashing them with the run.  So much so they starting stacking the box.  Even at that point with obvious 1-1 situations we were not able to execute.

It's going to be a real problem when we play teams like Marshall and La Tech.  If they can contain our run game, we are going to be forced to pass effectively to win.  Lets see…

I know this much - we wont continue to pickup 1st downs on 3rd and long with delayed runs.  That cat is out of the bag and teams will be defending accordingly.

I also think Gray Owl makes a good point.  Usually a bye week is seen as a good thing.  However, we aren't used to being in the position we are in heading into a bye week.  I understand we have a more capable coaching staff now - they better have these boys coming out ready to play vs UNT.  We come out over confident and flat for the first half - will be a serious problem.
Posted On: Oct 9th 2017, 11:38 AM #371778
And my take is that when we are running so well, the PLAY ACTION passing game SHOULD take off as well. BIG TIME ACTUALLY! I am sure THESE Coaches will spend a most of our O practice working on just that! And the D on a least SLOWING the run game, NT runs real well too!

But their D gives up almost 35 points a game and they have only faced 1 Power5 team (a so so Iowa!).
Back to the top
Control functions: