Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

C-USA Football: Games for Week of 10-7-17

Add topic

Island_Owl88 said

I have a feeling if we do, in fact, go undefeated in conference play, we still won't get enough credit and respect. Everyone will think that we have a weak conference. At least we'll get to go bowling.

Posted On: Oct 9th 2017, 4:34 PM #371801

So you are saying you rather not win a conference championship because it's a weak conference?  Who cares what people think i want to hang banners in the stadium.

Back to the top

Jack D Whidden III said

UTEP might be the worst team in the nation. I don't mean that to be disrespectful or to be over-dramatic. I've seen most of their games this year including losses to Oklahoma, Arizona, Army, and their biggest rival New Mexico State. Their HC Sean Kugler resigned last week. Being an alumni of UTEP, that's obviously a tough thing to do. But the Miners fought hard under the leadership of new-old head coach Mike Price. Sometimes, a little change up top is all you need to shake things up. But UTEP lacks the assistant coaches and the skill players to really improve much.

Charlotte might be the only team that can compete with the Miners when it comes to being the worst team in the nation.

UTEP and Charlotte, along with Texas State, UMass, Baylor, UConn, Coastal Carolina, San Jose, Georgia Southern, and a coin-toss between Kent State and Rice make up 10 the worst teams in the nation this year.

Posted On: Oct 9th 2017, 3:00 PM #371799

I wouldn't be so quick to leave Kansas out of that conversation.  Guess the matchup with Baylor will tell that story.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

GeorgiaOwl said

Just Yesterday WKU won by onE at UTEP (BAD team!), Marshall struggled big time with a BAD UNC-Charlotte, FIU ripped by MTSU, La. Tech LOST to UAB. In short, all 6 remaining games are very winnable and when we beat N. Texas AT HOME, we will be favored in ALL!

Get your friends and family out to FAU stadium to support the Owls vs. N. Texas next game!!!!Toughest remaining game on schedule IMHO. They run the ball real well too!!!! Win that game and we could go 9-3 regular season and undefeated in CUSA!!!

Go Owls!!!!
Posted On: Oct 8th 2017, 9:11 AM #371741
It doesn't work like that in sports.  It's not transitive.

UNT has a more balanced attack than we do.  They can throw the ball down field and have a running game.  We should be dogs in that game +3.5 if you ask me.  We are going to have to get vertical with the passing game to win this one.

I wouldnt count on La Tech, WKU or Marshall being lay down games.  All will give us competitive games.  I would say all 3 are basically a coin flip.  
Posted On: Oct 9th 2017, 10:44 AM #371775
This 100 percent right

UNT is really good team with the leagues best overall O.  They will not throw 4 picks vs us our D will have to make real stops.
My goal is to win 2 of the next 4 and take take care of FIU and Charlotte and boom 7 wins like i said.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

walty12 said

GeorgiaOwl said

Just Yesterday WKU won by onE at UTEP (BAD team!), Marshall struggled big time with a BAD UNC-Charlotte, FIU ripped by MTSU, La. Tech LOST to UAB. In short, all 6 remaining games are very winnable and when we beat N. Texas AT HOME, we will be favored in ALL!

Get your friends and family out to FAU stadium to support the Owls vs. N. Texas next game!!!!Toughest remaining game on schedule IMHO. They run the ball real well too!!!! Win that game and we could go 9-3 regular season and undefeated in CUSA!!!

Go Owls!!!!
Posted On: Oct 8th 2017, 9:11 AM #371741
It doesn't work like that in sports.  It's not transitive.

UNT has a more balanced attack than we do.  They can throw the ball down field and have a running game.  We should be dogs in that game +3.5 if you ask me.  We are going to have to get vertical with the passing game to win this one.

I wouldnt count on La Tech, WKU or Marshall being lay down games.  All will give us competitive games.  I would say all 3 are basically a coin flip.  
Posted On: Oct 9th 2017, 10:44 AM #371775
This 100 percent right

UNT is really good team with the leagues best overall O.  They will not throw 4 picks vs us our D will have to make real stops.
My goal is to win 2 of the next 4 and take take care of FIU and Charlotte and boom 7 wins like i said.
Posted On: Oct 10th 2017, 11:44 AM #371806

and of the next four games coming up after the bye, I think Marshall, WKU and LA Tech will be the toughest of the four, and I am worried if we will have to rely on winning the games through the air and not on the ground.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Posted On: Oct 10th 2017, 11:44 AM #371806

Lamar is a big part of that, IMO. Serous stat padding right there…

One could say that Bethune did the same for us, but Bethune also trounced Lamar.

I know the whole so-and-so beat so-and-so so we should win argument doesn't hold water, but we will see how good their offense really is over the next two weeks - mostly against us.

Because even UTSA has two cupcakes padding their line as well.

Back to the top

We need to work on two things… Tackling and throwing downfield.  The tackling is annoying because we try to stand the ball carrier up and strip the ball, which leads to them getting an extra 3,4,5 yards after contact and has probably helped us get 1 turnover all year.  Throwing is just limited by Driskell's ability, nothing much we can do there.   If we can improve ever so slightly at either of those, we can go 8-4 this year.  However, if you haven't been a good tackler or passer in your 20 years of existence, tall order to get better in two weeks.  
Back to the top

Last year Driskell threw for over 2400 yards in 327 attempts or 7.4 per pass at 61% comp. rate. This year at 5.2 per but at 65% comp rate.

I think his numbers will go up now into CUSA play personally. They should and Sure hope so!!!!
Back to the top

I've been (cautiously) impressed with Driskell the past few games - but we all know he's not going to blow us away with his deep, or even mid, ball. #40 has become a very nice option for him, but you know opposing teams will figure that out real soon, if they already haven't, and hopefully Driskell can adjust. I am falling in love with this team and staff.  
Back to the top

North Texas has a darn good offense. But the are last in the conference on pass defense. Watch our coaches take advantage of this. This will be Driskels break out passing performance. I think they are sixth vs. the run.
Back to the top
Control functions: