Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

North Texas @ FAU Homecoming Game Thread - October 21st, 2017

Add topic

TheREALowlsley said

Another important factor for attendance is that University of Miami is ranked 8 (I don't know how they haven't really beaten anybody good and have had many close games with unranked opponents).  Considering this, people may choose to spend their "football money" to see them instead of FAU.  

I am going to keep going to the FAU and having a great time but I would still expect 20k at the most this season until we go to or win a bowl game.

Another thing is that I hope Kiffin doesn't decide to leave this year because Tennessee fans really want him but I am not sure if he would want to go there and have to play Nick Saban's team every year.
Posted On: Oct 22nd 2017, 1:48 PM #372105

The big money boosters want nothing to do with Kiffin at UT
Back to the top

TheREALowlsley said

Another thing is that I hope Kiffin doesn't decide to leave this year because Tennessee fans really want him but I am not sure if he would want to go there and have to play Nick Saban's team every year.
Posted On: Oct 22nd 2017, 1:48 PM #372105

I seriously doubt that is revisited no matter what is in (social) media. Now, if, for example, we win the conference and go to a bowl game this year, I think there may be legitimate concern another P5 program comes calling. I still believe he will be here next year when the sky is the limit with what we have in place and who is coming in.

Back to the top

TheREALowlsley said

…. but I would still expect 20k at the most this season until we go to or win a bowl game.

If we were getting 20k at games I wouldn't even be saying anything.  But last night was an announced crowd of around 14k and there were probably no more than 8k actually in the stands (maybe more, but it was insanely empty in my opinion).  I thought I saw somewhere that the average attendance last year was something like 15k - were those made-up numbers, or did we actually have as many and maybe more people in the stands last year than we do now with a significantly better team???

As for Kiffin and UT, I am from Western North Carolina where there are probably more fans of Tennessee than of NC schools.  I don't think the Vols have any real interest in Kiffin, and just judging Lane's responses it seems like the feeling is mutual.  But you never know.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

And I still believe (as I have from day 1 of the stadium) that our ticket prices are WAY too high. We are paying $58 (PLUS FEES and PARKING) for the Marshall game and there are of course much HIGHER ticket prices.

Too much for what has been a VERY BAD PRODUCT for nearly 10 years!

DROP em til we get good enough to sell out the high priced home/midfield sections and THEN raise em with demand!!!!

Posted On: Oct 22nd 2017, 12:17 PM #372103

Tickets start at $12.  There is no requirement to sit in the Hyundai Deck.  Most premium sections are expensive at all stadiums.
Back to the top

Tickets are not expensive at all.
I go to every game and I sit at the end zone and the ticket is only $13.

Not sure how the Miami team plays a factor in attendance, but FAU has been playing since 1999? that's plenty of time to build a fan base especially the students that are 17-23 years old.

FIU suffers the same problem and I believe theirs is a bit more concerning because they have a smaller stadium but have twice the size of our student population.

I don't think winning will cure everything, the team is playing well, we have a known coach and staff, we play in a better conference and the stadium is nice.

We should be able to average 20k fans, I don't know what is going on.
The athletics department should conduct a survey and listen to the students.

How many students live on campus?
Back to the top

owlsdad said

TheREALowlsley said

…. but I would still expect 20k at the most this season until we go to or win a bowl game.

If we were getting 20k at games I wouldn't even be saying anything.  But last night was an announced crowd of around 14k and there were probably no more than 8k actually in the stands (maybe more, but it was insanely empty in my opinion).  I thought I saw somewhere that the average attendance last year was something like 15k - were those made-up numbers, or did we actually have as many and maybe more people in the stands last year than we do now with a significantly better team???

As for Kiffin and UT, I am from Western North Carolina where there are probably more fans of Tennessee than of NC schools.  I don't think the Vols have any real interest in Kiffin, and just judging Lane's responses it seems like the feeling is mutual.  But you never know.
Posted On: Oct 22nd 2017, 2:00 PM #372108

Average attendance reported is always ticket sales, not butts in seats.  Last season you could count how many people were in the stadium.
Back to the top

They were giving away t-shirts to the first 5,000 people in the stadium last night.

We got in 5 minutes before kick off and still received a t-shirt.  Take from that what you will.

There are options for ticket prices.  We usually get group pricing for a block of 15 or more at $7 and $5 for a parking pass.  Yes we sit in the end zone but we enjoy the band and catching field goals.  We have a ton of fun for a family of four at a $33 price point.
Back to the top

Looks to me that the school has been doing what they can do to drum up interest in the program. FAU still lacks an identity as a "brand". This year should help a bit, but judging by what I saw yesterday as far as fan attendance, they aren't there yet. While all the elements are in place,  I wouldn't expect that to happen overnight either. Not to beat a dead horse here, but the post - Motor City Bowl years would have been huge for this program. The delay in the stadium, sub par recruiting and of course the losing all contributed to the program taking huge steps backward when we should have been moving way forward at that point. 
Back to the top

Oh  Stop it said

GeorgiaOwl said

And I still believe (as I have from day 1 of the stadium) that our ticket prices are WAY too high. We are paying $58 (PLUS FEES and PARKING) for the Marshall game and there are of course much HIGHER ticket prices.

DROP em til we get good enough to sell out the high priced home/midfield sections and THEN raise em with demand!!!!

Tickets start at $12.  There is no requirement to sit in the Hyundai Deck.  Most premium sections are expensive at all stadiums.
Posted On: Oct 22nd 2017, 2:02 PM #372109

I agree every stadium has it "premium" seating and prices, I just think we need to lower ours to FILL THE SEATS!!!! Our home "red" section has always been a joke to me 2/3 empty with the exception of UM and Navy and the opening WKU game how many years ago.

FAU football has not been a premium products. And the $12 ticks are NOT great seats - end zone, YOU gonna buy those tickets??? Reduce ticket prices for kid's (under 12 free, MS & HS students $10 tops) and midfield seats across from tower need to be way cheaper to fill those seats - we look awful on TV - NT game attendance looked GOD awful!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Oh  Stop it said

GeorgiaOwl said

Posted On: Oct 22nd 2017, 2:02 PM #372109

And the $12 ticks are NOT great seats - end zone, YOU gonna buy those tickets???
Posted On: Oct 22nd 2017, 2:59 PM #372114

Man, I've sold a ton of those tickets for the program since the stadium opened.  Not the first person that has come with us has asked about better seats.

We enjoy the tailgate, the atmosphere, catching field goals (no nets!) and the opportunity to take the kids to a college football game just 5 miles from the house at a reasonable price point.

That being said, this group doesn't know Buddy from Motor.  They're not hardcore fans like we are, so it's hard for us to say why other people attend or what is needed (outside of the buzz that comes from winning) to boost attendance.
Back to the top
Control functions: