Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

North Texas @ FAU Homecoming Game Thread - October 21st, 2017

Add topic

AGREED, EVEN YEARS AGO WITH COACH S. AS OUR COACH, LOTS OF PEOPLE NEW ABOUT FAU BEACUSE OF HIM!

NOW WITH COACH K. THE SKIES THE LIMIT - EVERYONE OF EVERY AGE KNOWS HIM!
Back to the top

StPeteOwl said

… but right now it is tough to justify to my wife/family taking off to boca for the weekend, and my wife is an Owl.

If both you and your wife are FAU grads, I have to bust on you at least a little bit for this.  I have basically 3 months' worth of affiliation to the school to this point, and I bought season tickets, a parking pass, and have made it to 3 of the 4 home games from Orlando.  I also have a wife and 2 other daughters at home, but I drag their butts to the games so we can enjoy "family time" (while I selfishly get to grill, drink beer, and watch football).  My wife and I graduated from a small school in NC, and we try to make it up there (10 hour drive) for at least 1 if not 2 games a year.  I know Tampa isn't exactly next door to Boca, but your team needs you and all your friends in the stadium as many times as you can possibly make it.

That is mostly kidding because I know if you are on this board you are a supporter of the Owls, but FAU needs to get fan support - and attendance in the stands right now is probably about as important as $$$s in their coffers.
Back to the top

I have dozens of friend that are Gators and Noles. They leave noon Friday and return Sunday for every home game. 4.5 hours to UF, 6.25 to FSU.  It's what fans do.
Back to the top

owlmart said

If they can reach out to me to ask for a donation, surely they can reach out to me and let me know it's homecoming.  

Right. A good number of my friends are FAU grads and the only correspondence they get from FAU is asking for money.

Granted they're not Alumni Association members but that argument still comes off as "you come to me so I can get what I want."

Back to the top

Local Owl said

I have dozens of friend that are Gators and Noles. They leave noon Friday and return Sunday for every home game. 4.5 hours to UF, 6.25 to FSU.  It's what fans do.

Posted On: Oct 24th 2017, 5:36 AM #372156

You guys need to give it time. FAU has only had full undergrad since 1988 and in my eyes anyone who attended before the 2005ish window prob just sees the school as a community college.
The goal should be is to add some good fans every year.

I know though my group we have gone from 3-4 in our section to now 7-10 every game with many switching in and out every game of who can make it or not, but always 7-10 are with us.
More fans need to be doing this. Ask your friend who you know graduated why he doesn’t go to more games, I bet they don’t have a good answer.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Local Owl said

You guys need to give it time. FAU has only had full undergrad since 1988 and in my eyes anyone who attended before the 2005ish window prob just sees the school as a community college.
The goal should be is to add some good fans every year.

I know though my group we have gone from 3-4 in our section to now 7-10 every game with many switching in and out every game of who can make it or not, but always 7-10 are with us.
More fans need to be doing this. Ask your friend who you know graduated why he doesn’t go to more games, I bet they don’t have a good answer.

Posted On: Oct 24th 2017, 8:24 AM #372158

My family couldnt make it to this last weekends game because I was out of town and my mom was in Italy but
the people we gave our tickets went to the game, had a great time and posted pictures too!

When your team starts to win your spare tickets suddenly become valuable.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

If we do well the rest of the season we can post pictures from our bowl game…and say "Wish you were here"  :Laughing:
Back to the top

owlsdad said

StPeteOwl said

… but right now it is tough to justify to my wife/family taking off to boca for the weekend, and my wife is an Owl.

If both you and your wife are FAU grads, I have to bust on you at least a little bit for this.  I have basically 3 months' worth of affiliation to the school to this point, and I bought season tickets, a parking pass, and have made it to 3 of the 4 home games from Orlando.  I also have a wife and 2 other daughters at home, but I drag their butts to the games so we can enjoy "family time" (while I selfishly get to grill, drink beer, and watch football).  My wife and I graduated from a small school in NC, and we try to make it up there (10 hour drive) for at least 1 if not 2 games a year.  I know Tampa isn't exactly next door to Boca, but your team needs you and all your friends in the stadium as many times as you can possibly make it.

That is mostly kidding because I know if you are on this board you are a supporter of the Owls, but FAU needs to get fan support - and attendance in the stands right now is probably about as important as $$$s in their coffers.
Posted On: Oct 23rd 2017, 7:54 PM #372155

The drive is not too bad from Tampa to Boca, but it also doesn't help that it seems to be that time in our lives when a friend or relative is getting married every other weekend. Your fortunate to have a "big" reason to travel - to see your daughter, we don't have kids even close to that age range yet. I will say I have been impressed with Stadium and ESPN3 thus far - it's the next best thing at least I get to watch. We usually try to make at least one or two a year but 2017 has been tough on our schedule.
Back to the top

@StPeteOwl - I was really just busting your chops not to call you out, but to see how the conversation went (so hopefully no hard feelings).  I was a 20-something year old grad at one point, and I was 5 hours away from my alma mater.  At that time, I probably didn't go to any more games than I do now that I am 10 hours away.

The difference in my situation and FAU is that this team really needs people in the stands.  The kids deserve it because of the product they are now putting on the field, but the university needs it so when people hear FAU is getting better at football they don't tune-in and see a really shiny and pretty stadium that is about 25% full.  The coaches want it because it builds excitement, impresses recruits, let's them and the players know they are appreciated, and hopefully keeps them around.  I don't think Lane is leaving quickly - assuming he keeps this turnaround going he will wait for the "right" job.  But if he is winning, setting records, and looking up at 8k people in the stands, that ***could*** make him think there are better places to be professionally (even a lateral-type move or any kind of move to what is considered a "bigger" conference).  That might be a stretch, and is still probably a year or 2 away, and I know that winning will always make a difference and the program needs some time to prove itself.  But just planting the seed that bigger crowds will be equated to a better football program (true or not).
Back to the top

owlsdad said

@StPeteOwl - I was really just busting your chops not to call you out, but to see how the conversation went (so hopefully no hard feelings).  I was a 20-something year old grad at one point, and I was 5 hours away from my alma mater.  At that time, I probably didn't go to any more games than I do now that I am 10 hours away.

The difference in my situation and FAU is that this team really needs people in the stands.  The kids deserve it because of the product they are now putting on the field, but the university needs it so when people hear FAU is getting better at football they don't tune-in and see a really shiny and pretty stadium that is about 25% full.  The coaches want it because it builds excitement, impresses recruits, let's them and the players know they are appreciated, and hopefully keeps them around.  I don't think Lane is leaving quickly - assuming he keeps this turnaround going he will wait for the "right" job.  But if he is winning, setting records, and looking up at 8k people in the stands, that ***could*** make him think there are better places to be professionally (even a lateral-type move or any kind of move to what is considered a "bigger" conference).  That might be a stretch, and is still probably a year or 2 away, and I know that winning will always make a difference and the program needs some time to prove itself.  But just planting the seed that bigger crowds will be equated to a better football program (true or not).
Posted On: Oct 24th 2017, 3:29 PM #372166

All good owl pops. That's the one thing that scares me with Lane - wanting "more". But this is such a perfect spot for him to build his brand back up again thrashing CUSA teams and bowling. We have some nice opponents in 2018 & 2019 - Sooners, Air Force, UCF, OSU. Here's to hoping he sticks around for those as "upset prove-ems".
Back to the top
Control functions: