Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Are you worried about Kiffin leaving?

More importantly, we have to hope that someone is talking to Briles about being HC in waiting so that if Lane leaves we can make him HC and keep this offense rolling.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Rick said

Meh…

I mean, it looks to me like his account is being used by staff, just as Partridge's was.

Either way, we will be fine.

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/lane-kiffin-sends-cryptic-tweet-mcelwain-news-drops-fans-freak
Posted On: Oct 29th 2017, 10:31 PM #372472

That looks like classic Lane Kiffin tweeting to me.  He knows exactly what he is doing. Getting people to talk about FAU in the middle of a major college football news story. He is priceless.

If a decision is about money, he will be gone soon. You can say that about 115 of the 130 FBS schools. There will always be more money out there.

But if a decision is based on quality of life, maybe we have something of interest here.  An argument could be made that he used Alabama as a stepping stone.  He lived there for 3 years and rented an apartment. He knew that wasn't his final destination. He was in Boca for 5 minutes and starting looking for a house.

If other outside factors are where the decision is based then anything can happen. His family is on the West Coast so maybe a decision is about that and not either of the first two points.

Whatever he does, I am a big fan. He clearly is on a different level.
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

Hmmmmmm, UF's head coach Jim McElwain is gone.
UF pays well and an SEC school.
Posted On: Oct 29th 2017, 4:39 PM #372446

They'll go after Charlie Strong before the go for Kiffin.
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

I guess my final two cents. I am not sure if just one year on the job is Long enough for one of these schools to commit long term to Lane. Everyone knew he could coach offense, but a lot of administrations still may wanna see him manage a program for multiple years. Pretty much these similar schools decided to pass on him less than a year ago. Only time will tell, and I will just enjoy Lane’s time here as long as it lasts. 

But I do think he is here next year, and if not he has laid the ground work for us to be successful moving forward. 

Posted On: Oct 29th 2017, 11:46 PM #372475

I agree with this. Kiff needs to work on his reputation as a guy who bolts as soon as a bigger job opens up.
Back to the top

David Slavic said

DeltAlumnus said

I guess my final two cents. I am not sure if just one year on the job is Long enough for one of these schools to commit long term to Lane. Everyone knew he could coach offense, but a lot of administrations still may wanna see him manage a program for multiple years. Pretty much these similar schools decided to pass on him less than a year ago. Only time will tell, and I will just enjoy Lane’s time here as long as it lasts. 

But I do think he is here next year, and if not he has laid the ground work for us to be successful moving forward. 

I agree with this. Kiff needs to work on his reputation as a guy who bolts as soon as a bigger job opens up.
Posted On: Oct 30th 2017, 9:20 AM #372481

Agreed. I think he stays at least 3 years. He has ti prove he can be reliable and loyal to an institution. Plus now he is closer to family and has a real chance to become a legend in here. 

I’m hopeful he is staying to move us to a better conference when realignment time comes around (2020s)
Back to the top

I believe that he will stay around 3 or more years.  The thing is he had all these glorious jobs at such a  young age. Going back to that high level of stress may not be what he wants.  I think a school like ours is perfect for him and is a starting point for young coaches, he should've had a job like this instead of an NFL job but he is now working in  the reverse which is still ok.  This is his program, and the fans love him here.  He has already broken records and will continue to break more records, and we can become one of the best Group of 5 teams. We can still play in a New Year's Six someday.  He can become a legend here, we are becoming the Boise St. of the east.  The upside is what is going to keep him here and the possibilities are endless.
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

This…

I've gotten a lot of "you'll be on probation in two years" comments from football friends of mine, particularly around the "last chance U" image we've created here. I'm certain there are admins thinking the same thing, or at least taking a wait and see approach before jumping on the Lane Train.
Back to the top

We wouldn't be a major program without a NCAA probation…
Back to the top

David Slavic said

We wouldn't be a major program without a NCAA probation…
Posted On: Oct 30th 2017, 10:42 AM #372490

Hope that does not happen but still had a HUGE laugh at this!!!  :Laughing: Good One!!!!! :Big-Grin:
Back to the top

As much as I'd like to retain Kiffin and Briles, I'd be surprised if we could keep both.

The question is: if you could only keep one for next season, who would it be?

The easy answer is Kiffin, right, but then again this is Briles' offense and that's what's primarily winning us games right now.
Back to the top
Control functions: