Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

If we keep winning, will we lose Kiffin?

Yes! GREAT post even!

Coach K can be a GOD in Group of 5 for sure without the pressure of an LSU, UF, etc…………………..

We continue we WILL be invited to AAC in the not very far future!!! Especially if/when anyone in the current AAC is poached away by a Power 5 conference! Up grade the other facilities (at least develop and publicly release a plan to upgrade!) and we would be 1st choice IMHO!
Back to the top

Coach K himself posted this;

Lane Kiffin's 13 best quotes from his opening Florida Atlantic press conference | FOX Sports

It IS a super good read, especially now! I DO think he wants to build something special here, not be a one and done flash in the pan! Hope the admins. take care of him and staff to keep the momentum going FORWARD and not take any chance at regressing!
Back to the top

Just an FYI. The other previous head coaches had bonuses in their contracts. Conference title, bowl game, bowl game win…………..
No doubt Kiffin has those in his contract. So he'll make a little more this year no doubt.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

walty12 said

Lane is different than most up and coming coaches in that he has already been there.  Already HC at big time college programs and NFL.  Already made millions.

You have to remember - he turned down the OC job at LSU to take the HC job at FAU.  NOBODY else would have made that decision that I can think of.

You realize in 2001, TCU was in CUSA.  

2001 record   6–6 (4–3 C-USA)

They were paying thier coach at the time $400k.  That coach is still there today.

TCU is now in the Big XII.  Not a doormat, but top 3 program in the conference.  Pay the SAME HC over $5m this year.

It's all speculation.  Everybody talks about what FAU is today.  This is DYNAMIC folks.  With Kelly as President, growing with Lane isn't out of the question folks.

7 years ago we played in a sh*t box off Commercial and paid our HC $225k per year and were in the SunBelt.  84 months later we have a $70 milion stadium, $1m HC who is Lane Kiffen and are about to break ground on $50 million in new facilities and host the CUSA championship game on campus.

FAU is 30k+ students in the heart of South Florida.  We are the largest public univeristy in a place that is home to millions (palm beach,broward) and is constantly growing.

I am telling you right now, there is zero reason we cant be TCU.  Zero.  It's all about who is calling the shots and thier vision.

We will see what happens.  But know this - EVERY school in CUSA is extremely nervous about what FAU is becoming.  If we dont have a blow up - we will be the class of the conference for as long as we are in it.

Let's see where we are in another 7 years.  Lastly, aside from CUSA schools others are hoping Lane leaves I can promise you that.  If recruits get comfortable that he will stay for 4-5 years and he is able to recruit in that manner...I dont care who we play during that time we will be able to compete.  People that scheduled us will be dreading it.  If we get deep with talent and have backups who can play - watch out.
Posted On: Nov 13th 2017, 9:55 AM #373276

Hey and maybe Devin Singletary is our ladanian Tomlinson. 

I was actually at TCU a few weeks ago when they hosted gameday. I had a similar thought that TCU was FAU not that long ago. They do have a much longer history than us, but it’s in a similar type market. But they do have private school money, but it’s a much smaller school.

Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Coach K himself posted this;

Lane Kiffin's 13 best quotes from his opening Florida Atlantic press conference | FOX Sports

It IS a super good read, especially now! I DO think he wants to build something special here, not be a one and done flash in the pan! Hope the admins. take care of him and staff to keep the momentum going FORWARD and not take any chance at regressing!
Posted On: Nov 13th 2017, 12:23 PM #373284

I know most around the country think him staying here past even this year is a pipe dream. Honestly though, we all knew the elements for a successful program are here, and living in Boca is a huge plus. Lane is a guy who has been maligned everywhere he has gone – except here. It sounds to me he appreciates everything Boca and the program have to offer. He can turn all those critics around flat on their face by staying and building a powerhouse. Then he could write his ticket to a real good P5 opportunity down the road after he has fully established this program as a legit G5 power. If he jumps right now for a lower tier SEC type program, it would just be looked at as more of the same with him. I think we are in a good spot – as he has said, he's "just getting started".
Back to the top

There's no way he leaves for a low-tier P5 program that loses the recruiting battle to big brands of Alabama, USC, Michigan, etc. I can't see him leaving for a UCF/USF/Houston-type job either. Those are USUALLY the kinds of jobs that are taken by recently-fired head coaches at major programs, or hotshot coordinators at big programs.

I also don't think he'd be a great fit at a Big 10 school, or most SEC schools. ACC or PAC12 schools have to be the right one. For example, if Maryland opened up, I think that would be a terrible fit. Or Oregon State, etc. However, If Rich Rodriguez gets hired, I could see Kiff going to ASU to replace a moderately successful coach in wide-open PAC12, and beating up on his old school. To me, that's a good place to go where he could build his resume at a very competitive school before getting hired by one of the top tier programs in the country.

I think this is the most likely scenario. He can build credibility here for a year or two, move to a mid-tier program with the pieces in place to win, in a wide-open conference. I see the ACC and PAC12 as being the two most likely destinations. TAMU makes zero sense: the SEC West is a slaughterhouse. I honestly don't know why guys like Brett Bielema took the Arkansas job. It's almost impossible to have sustained success against Alabama, and the SEC East is a lot more competitive with Kirby Smart taking over at UGA. Not many chances to compete well.

The programs I see him going to would be ASU, Virgina Tech, UCLA, Cal. Lower pressure, bigger paycheck, chances to continue rehabbing career image.
Back to the top

The thing to look at again would be what jobs are going to open IF their coach leaves probably more than the jobs that are open now?  Very good point about ASU, and you threw Va Tech in there too.  Justin Fuente is also on lots of "lists" right now, and there are big pocketbooks at places like Tennessee for his services.  But Va Tech is probably not going to open up - why would that dude leave there for one of those other jobs that have the unrealistic fan bases?  And Blacksburg is going to be a "lunch pale" kind of place - they love Fuente, but not sure how the fans and donors would react to Kiffin unless he does something really special here for more than 1 season.  I think that is probably the approach by most of these places regarding Lane right now - they'd like to kick the tires on him as a coach, but won't pull the trigger until he is so hot they can't afford not to.  That bodes well for us - I think we have at least 1 more year and maybe more.  But like has been said a dozen times in this thread - let's enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts.
Back to the top

A nice story on Coach K and the season here;

'Who would have thought?': Kiffin savoring FAU's success

Group of 5 schools can't pay for this type of publicity but WE got Coach K - Great job Dr. Kelly!!!!

Back to the top

Back to the top

TheREALowlsley said

Until one of the BIG boys come calling with a BIG payday but that will take more time.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top
Control functions: