Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU vs FIU Bands

I have always enjoyed our marching band, but why did FIU’s band outnumber us two to one. Is there something they are doing that we are not to draw kids to be in their band. It seemed they were much more in tune to the game, playing on third downs, after first downs etc.

Back to the top

OwlGrad2012 said

I have always enjoyed our marching band, but why did FIU’s band outnumber us two to one. Is there something they are doing that we are not to draw kids to be in their band. It seemed they were much more in tune to the game, playing on third downs, after first downs etc.
Posted On: Nov 19th 2017, 6:55 PM #373644

I don't understand why we cannot get a larger band either. I thought the new stadium would help but….
Back to the top

I always presumed it was a budget issue.  They do well but it is a pitifully small band.
Back to the top

I always thought it was a lack of scholarships. No incentives.
Back to the top

FIU has 50K+ students which makes it easier to outnumber our band; however, FAU's band seems to get smaller and smaller by year.
I do remember FIU not having a band for a year or something like that. How did they grow so fast?
Back to the top

NITE-OWL said

FIU has 50K+ students which makes it easier to outnumber our band; however, FAU's band seems to get smaller and smaller by year.
I do remember FIU not having a band for a year or something like that. How did they grow so fast?

Posted On: Nov 19th 2017, 8:22 PM #373652

Whatever they did, we need to follow suit! Kinda tired of hearing the polite applause for our band, how bout developing some real PRIDE in our band!!!! I have told ya how small FCS schools and other much smaller FBS schools have literally recruited for their 200-400 member bands!
Back to the top

Local Owl said

I always thought it was a lack of scholarships. No incentives.
Posted On: Nov 19th 2017, 7:37 PM #373647

I thought the same. And they don't travel with the team all the time like at big schools, so another disincentive. faufasho was in the band, wasn't he? Maybe he could enlighten us (again)
Back to the top

I went to a school much smaller than FAU which has arguably the best marching band in the country - pushing 400 members. People stay in their seats at halftime to see the show and remain the the stadium afterward for an hour or so concert.

It takes time, but the band needs a good, hard working, charismatic director and staff, serious recruiting (especially in Palm Beach and Broward high schools), more money, and it must be more visible in South Florida events, parades, high school marching festivals and such.

FAU apparently has only an interim director who doesn't seem to have much experience. I don't understand why a permanent director hasn't yet been hired, but when he or she is, it should be someone from a school with a popular and good program.

FAU needs more traditions involving the band, such as … the players should come to the band after EVERY game to show their respect for the work these dedicated students out in and to sing the alma mater and fight song. That would be a start. I hope @Lane_Kiffin reads this.

Money should be set aside to send the band to a couple of games, at least, each year, if for no other reason that to give the members incentives to join. My school sends it band to at least a couple of conference games per year, plus maybe a major Power 5 game, and the pep band goes to almost all away games. It is a billboard for the university.

The FAU band is good and enjoyable. Saturday's show was great. But it just doesn't have the numbers of musicians it needs to make a difference. It also needs to be miked in the stadium (it was for at least the first game this year and the music could be heard stadium-wide). Miami's and Florida's bands are miked and they are much bigger.
Back to the top

The band problem isn't a 6 paragraph problem.  It starts with funding.  An interim band director screams no funding.  I don't know if this true but I heard the band is funded by athletics.  If that is true it will be the last bill paid and lowest financial priority.  It will take winning and Dr Kelly to make a change.
Back to the top

I don't think it is funding. Most large bands don't give out scholarships. I think it's just general lack of interest in marching band at FAU. FAU is also pushing everyone to graduate as fast as possible so I'm advisors might not allow students to take band if it would conflict with another course. I'm not sure if that's the case, but it could have an impact.

Again, I don't think the biggest issue is funding. FAU needs to do something out of the ordinary to drum up interest (See what I did there??). So instead of offering a $500 scholarship, they could offer a $2500 scholarship, but that takes an obscene amount of money. Perhaps they could open it up to alumni or really recruit at the state colleges to let them know they can be transient and take the course?

We've never had the biggest band, but numbers this year seems to be a low point in our program's history. Hopefully we can figure it out and have a top 25 band to go along with our top 25 team!..or Maybe just a band that's receiving votes  :Big-Grin:
Back to the top
Control functions: