Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

If we keep winning, will we lose Kiffin?

Some speculation out there this was done to sign Chip Kelly before UF.
Back to the top

Sandsy said

Owl2Doc said

Mora was reportedly earning 3.5M at UCLA.

Unfortunately, I could see Kiffin leaving for that and to be closer to his kids.

That's if they want him.
Posted On: Nov 19th 2017, 5:10 PM #373640

I Agree. This is the first opening that actually seems like a viable landing spot for Kiffin. Program with a high ceiling that also might consider Kiffin right now
Posted On: Nov 19th 2017, 5:41 PM #373642

If he leaves to be near his kids, then more power to him. Thanks for one helluva year and you'll always be an Owl!
Back to the top

Someone may have already referenced this, but I saw an article where he said he likes South Florida and he has lots of family connections that make it a desirable place to be. Sure, if a team comes calling with a $3 million per year offer, he is gone. Who wouldn't make a move for triple the money?

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Think Dr. Kelly is working on a new contract extension for Coach K AND STAFF by now??? I do!!!!!!
Back to the top

Another question. Why would UCLA want to hire a guy who got canned rather rudely (dumped more like it!!!)? They being local too, must know whatever went way wrong!

And even if his kid's are there, he would only get to see them as court ordered anyhow AND being a football coach at a school like UCLA would allow for even less time, Head Coaches duties and all IMHO!!!!
Back to the top

Hoot_N_Holler said

Some speculation out there this was done to sign Chip Kelly before UF.
Posted On: Nov 19th 2017, 8:06 PM #373649

Reading that basically UF and UCLA both pushing hard to land Kelly. Some people are even tweeting that Kelly to UF is a done deal.

Obviously if Kelly takes the UCLA job that eases things up for us. But several people have pointed out that UCLA won't be able to outbid UF for his services.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Think Dr. Kelly is working on a new contract extension for Coach K AND STAFF by now??? I do!!!!!!

Posted On: Nov 19th 2017, 9:11 PM #373659

Do you see asses in the seats?  NO, he will fire Chun to correct his incompetence.  That is one problem with Chun there are others to list.
Back to the top

NO said

GeorgiaOwl said

Do you see asses in the seats?  NO, he will fire Chun to correct his incompetence.  That is one problem with Chun there are others to list.
Posted On: Nov 19th 2017, 10:26 PM #373663

Butts in seats are one thing, but the bottom-line ends up being tickets sold.  We have had 2 of probably the 5 biggest announced crowds in the history of the school this year, and I would venture to guess season tickets are probably up (and will go up more assuming Kiffin stays).  So financially, that is something that is probably trending upward - anybody know what the average attendance (tickets sold) were last year compared to this year?

Now, driving excitement in the stadium and pulling in more donors is different.  But sadly most places now care much less about the number of people in the stadium compared to the number of tickets sold/dollars collected.  And purely the "excitement" factor is also up - but mainly driven by the growing rabid nature of some fans around Lane and his ability to move the national needle (we have an actual train driving around, we have been on ESPN multiple times, we are positioned to go to a bigger bowl than the CUSA tie-ins, etc.).  Again, not saying those are attributable to Chun really at all, but he is going to also get to ride the Lane Train and by default get some credit.
Back to the top

owlsdad said

NO said

GeorgiaOwl said

Posted On: Nov 19th 2017, 10:26 PM #373663

Butts in seats are one thing, but the bottom-line ends up being tickets sold.  We have had 2 of probably the 5 biggest announced crowds in the history of the school this year, and I would venture to guess season tickets are probably up (and will go up more assuming Kiffin stays).  So financially, that is something that is probably trending upward - anybody know what the average attendance (tickets sold) were last year compared to this year?

Now, driving excitement in the stadium and pulling in more donors is different.  But sadly most places now care much less about the number of people in the stadium compared to the number of tickets sold/dollars collected.  And purely the "excitement" factor is also up - but mainly driven by the growing rabid nature of some fans around Lane and his ability to move the national needle (we have an actual train driving around, we have been on ESPN multiple times, we are positioned to go to a bigger bowl than the CUSA tie-ins, etc.).  Again, not saying those are attributable to Chun really at all, but he is going to also get to ride the Lane Train and by default get some credit.

Posted On: Nov 20th 2017, 9:51 AM #373769

He'll ride the Lane Train, but he also started the Partridge era, so I think we can attribute the Kiffin phenomenon to Dr. Kelly more than Chun.
Back to the top

Agree - Kiffin seems to be a Kelly hire, and I think our President is all-in on understanding the impact a successful football program can have on other sports and the university as a whole.  That is all good news, as Dr. Kelly will stay involved and drive it.  I'm just saying deserved or not Chun will reap some short-term benefits.
Back to the top
Control functions: