Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU vs FIU Bands

Why would you want to be in the marching band for a football program that sucks, and an empty stadium? Nobody loves the tuba that much.

Once we have a culture of winning, and a fan base that shows up, maybe the band will pick up. Also, the band should be closer to the student section, not all alone on the other side of the field where nobody sits.
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

I don't think it is funding. Most large bands don't give out scholarships. I think it's just general lack of interest in marching band at FAU. FAU is also pushing everyone to graduate as fast as possible so I'm advisors might not allow students to take band if it would conflict with another course. I'm not sure if that's the case, but it could have an impact.

Again, I don't think the biggest issue is funding. FAU needs to do something out of the ordinary to drum up interest (See what I did there??). So instead of offering a $500 scholarship, they could offer a $2500 scholarship, but that takes an obscene amount of money. Perhaps they could open it up to alumni or really recruit at the state colleges to let them know they can be transient and take the course?

We've never had the biggest band, but numbers this year seems to be a low point in our program's history. Hopefully we can figure it out and have a top 25 band to go along with our top 25 team!..or Maybe just a band that's receiving votes  :Big-Grin:
Posted On: Nov 20th 2017, 8:32 AM #373742

Increasing the scholarship from $500 to $2,500 is called funding.  We all looked into this a while back and what we give is pretty reasonable and in line with some big schools.  Secondary problem, we need to recruit, need a charismtic leader, need the music school to make it a 2 year requirement to be in a performance band as part of their degree.  Third, uniform expense (funding).  Its cheaper to buy 60 uniforms then 300.  Forth, Send them on some road trips FIU in the odd year and an out of towner every year (funding).  Fifth, go to bowl games and take the band (funding).  Every single element relates to funding.
Back to the top

I never said funding is NOT the issue. I just said it's not the biggest issue. The biggest issue is that there's a flat out lack of interest in marching at FAU. The marching band culture down is pretty competitive and we have some very large bands with several that are some of FAU's largest feeder schools like Stoneman Douglas and Park Vista but the vast majority of those students don't want to march at FAU. Perhaps it's because they're burnt out of marching band because they are pushed so hard for 4 years in high school? Or maybe it's the fact that FAU is considered a crappy band by them because we don't fit their mold of what marching band should be (competitive, difficult music and drill, corps style, etc.). Throw iin a team that hasn't had a winning season in 10 years with a "scholarship" that doesn't even cover the cost of the course if you're taking it for 3 credits and you get students that just don't want to be in the band.

So yes, funding is certainly an issue, but the issues of the band not being big go beyond just throwing money at them.
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

I never said funding is NOT the issue. I just said it's not the biggest issue. The biggest issue is that there's a flat out lack of interest in marching at FAU. The marching band culture down is pretty competitive and we have some very large bands with several that are some of FAU's largest feeder schools like Stoneman Douglas and Park Vista but the vast majority of those students don't want to march at FAU. Perhaps it's because they're burnt out of marching band because they are pushed so hard for 4 years in high school? Or maybe it's the fact that FAU is considered a crappy band by them because we don't fit their mold of what marching band should be (competitive, difficult music and drill, corps style, etc.). Throw iin a team that hasn't had a winning season in 10 years with a "scholarship" that doesn't even cover the cost of the course if you're taking it for 3 credits and you get students that just don't want to be in the band.

So yes, funding is certainly an issue, but the issues of the band not being big go beyond just throwing money at them.

Posted On: Nov 20th 2017, 8:57 AM #373750

I am not trying to be contentious with you Dan, I know you said funding is an issue.  I just disagree with you in the importance of it.  I think its the biggest issue.  EVERYTHING starts with the money, without it everything is a non-starter.  Every element with the exception of perception in the march band community and grass roots recruiting has a tie to funding.  If the band director has his normal job and the marching band director he will not be out there getting kids to signup from high school.  When Dr. Kelly makes it a directive and allocates funds things will change.  The funds don't come until the team wins though and people come to the game.  For that requires us to fire Chun and install someone who knows how to lead focused marketing and ticket team instead of 2 competing departments trying to accomplish similar missions.
Back to the top

We are a 30,000+ student body that gets charged obsene student athletic fees.  We have the money to put together a respectable band if we choose to.  

I was embarrased at the game for the size of our band.  Hate to say that but I was.  Wanted to grab a tuba and go join those guys and girls.  Cant imagine what it must feel like to see the opposing teams band (especially from such a terrible, terrible school) out perform you like that in your own stadium.

I tweeted Dr. Kelly - "we need a bigger band" during the game.  He immediately liked it, so I know (yes, twitter doesn't mean much) he acknowleges the fact.

But yes, we need to invest in a leader that creates a culture which makes being in the band at FAU worth it for the students.

If you thought it was bad Saturday…wait to see the difference if we play USF in the Boca Bowl.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

+1 Walty

If that is all we are going to be putting out there, then just skip it.

NOT a knock against the folks in the band, they are awesome, but the administration should know better - it's embarrassing.
Back to the top

Rick said

+1 Walty

NOT a knock against the folks in the band, they are awesome, but the administration should know better - it's embarrassing.
Posted On: Nov 20th 2017, 9:37 AM #373759

I agree.  At a minimum - move the band to the student section to just join them and make noise with them.

All alone on the opposing endzone is not good.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

Rick said

+1 Walty

Posted On: Nov 20th 2017, 9:37 AM #373759

I agree.  At a minimum - move the band to the student section to just join them and make noise with them.

All alone on the opposing endzone is not good.
Posted On: Nov 20th 2017, 9:39 AM #373761

Agree with both of your posts but the truth is it is money related, hopefully the band moves up on the priority list.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Again my idea, which is used by the Bama schools is to offer IN STATE tuition for COMMITING to being in the marching band!

Yes it is lower than out-of-state tuition, but is it if that slot is filled by a kid from Florida anyhow?

And out-of-state kids NEED housing and meals ($$$) most in-state kids (locals) don't, so the dorms and campus life get better. Oh, and band parents traveling to Boca (hotel rooms and restaurants)to see their kids - more $$ for Boca and the school (game day gear, game tickets, food & drinks at the game).

C'mon Dr. Kelly, make the band Clemson too!!!!!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Again my idea, which is used by the Bama schools is to offer IN STATE tuition for COMMITING to being in the marching band!

Yes it is lower than out-of-state tuition, but is it if that slot is filled by a kid from Florida anyhow?

And out-of-state kids NEED housing and meals ($$$) most in-state kids (locals) don't, so the dorms and campus life get better. Oh, and band parents traveling to Boca (hotel rooms and restaurants)to see their kids - more $$ for Boca and the school (game day gear, game tickets, food & drinks at the game).

C'mon Dr. Kelly, make the band Clemson too!!!!!

Posted On: Nov 20th 2017, 3:25 PM #373840

Write you state legislature about giving in-state tuition to out of state tuition.  Oh yeah your not a resident of the state and not a taxpayer here.  There is NO discretion by the university.  Otherwise wouldn't you think when we get an out of state football player we would give him in-state tuition?  Out of state tuition is what pays for everything.  Drop it already.
Back to the top
Control functions: