Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Bowl projections as of November 19, 2017

Dusky - Curious, but why would you not be happy about getting to what most would consider a "bigger" bowl to play FSU?  More money, bigger named opponent, more eyeballs, etc.  Is it just that it is in Shreveport?  Everything else would seem like a good thing.  I'd say FAU has to win both games left to make something other than the St. Pete bowl a reality.  That being said, FAU vs USF seems to be a popular choice, and seems like a good game, too.

I totally don't get anybody projecting the New Mexico bowl - why would we want to go, and why would they even want to invite us knowing people aren't going to go?
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Curious, but why would you not be happy about getting to what most would consider a "bigger" bowl?  More money, bigger named opponent, more eyeballs, etc.  Is it just that it is in Shreveport?  Everything else would seem like a good thing.  I'd say FAU has to win both games left to make something other than the St. Pete bowl a reality.  That being said, FAU vs USF seems to be a popular choice, and seems like a good game, too.

I totally don't get anybody projecting the New Mexico bowl - why would we want to go, and why would they even want to invite us knowing people aren't going to go?
Posted On: Nov 20th 2017, 9:35 AM #373758

I grew up A Noles fan and went to FSU as well but I am an Owls fan first so it would be tough to root against the Noles.

I think the FAU/USF game would be the second option in Tampa, I don’t think there is any chance we go to NM.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Got it - the "not happy" makes sense now.  I thought you meant you wouldn't be happy about that bowl and playing a big-time brand.
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Got it - the "not happy" makes sense now.  I thought you meant you wouldn't be happy about that bowl and playing a big-time brand.
Posted On: Nov 20th 2017, 9:41 AM #373763

Playing FSU is the big name Kiffin wants, could you imagine the publicity if we win?

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

owlsdad said

Playing FSU is the big name Kiffin wants, could you imagine the publicity if we win?
Posted On: Nov 20th 2017, 9:43 AM #373765

Exactly.  The time is now.  

Maybe we dont match up all that well with FSU (truth is, I dont think we may ever 'match up' with FSU that well) but RIGHT NOW is the best time to take a shot at beating them.

If we end up playing FSU, we will have 2 games in a row…Florida State and then Oklahoma that will have a ton of eyes on it.  Further, we have the team to be at least competitive in I believe both.

If we beat FSU in a bowl game - there is no better publicity for our program.  No AAC team, no SunBelt team, nothing else would be even close.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

dusky256fc said

owlsdad said

Posted On: Nov 20th 2017, 9:43 AM #373765
Exactly.  The time is now.

Maybe we dont match up all that well with FSU (truth is, I dont think we may ever 'match up' with FSU that well) but RIGHT NOW is the best time to take a shot at beating them.

If we end up playing FSU, we will have 2 games in a row…Florida State and then Oklahoma that will have a ton of eyes on it.  Further, we have the team to be at least competitive in I believe both.

If we beat FSU in a bowl game - there is no better publicity for our program.  No AAC team, no SunBelt team, nothing else would be even close.
Posted On: Nov 20th 2017, 9:49 AM #373768
Next year we should be more competitive against Oklahoma, since Baker Mayfield won't be there.
Back to the top

I really hope we can get FSU - especially if Jimbo Fisher gets hired away to TAMU like some people think (although it's really unlikely). But I could see Fisher leaving since the program is headed south, and TAMU has some huge money. Those firings/hirings would likely be done prior to the bowls.

Hopefully we still have Lane lol.
Back to the top

My understanding, from reading the C-USA website, is that the champion chooses which bowl they would like to go to.  So it will be interesting what they decide to do.  If the Independence Bowl is open to a C-USA team, that seems to have the highest payout, but they'll probably pay dearly for the tickets they won't sell because I believe most bowls have a required minimum.  It just seems to me that a match up with USF is in the making and that would more likely be in St. Pete.  Playing FSU would be interesting.  Talent wise FSU obviously wins overall, but there are coaching problems on the FSU defensive side of the ball and they will likely have a new coordinator next year.  They have had real problems with the spread…Louisville, Houston, Oregon.  They would also have a tough time preparing to go to a bowl to play FAU.  That would be perceived as a real downer by FSU and their fans.  
Back to the top

Would be a HUGE letdown for FSU to play us in a Bowl. MANY real talented teams (possibly not good though - like FSU)  have played poorly when not motivated in Bowl games while the opposition is up for it. Think FSU vs. Houston just 2 years ago in the Peach Bowl!

But I do think we play FSU closer than USF - they have a good mobile QB we would have trouble stopping IMHO!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Would be a HUGE letdown for FSU to play us in a Bowl. MANY real talented teams (possibly not good though - like FSU)  have played poorly when not motivated in Bowl games while the opposition is up for it. Think FSU vs. Houston just 2 years ago in the Peach Bowl!

But I do think we play FSU closer than USF - they have a good mobile QB we would have trouble stopping IMHO!
Posted On: Nov 20th 2017, 3:03 PM #373839

"Would be a HUGE letdown for FSU to play us in a Bowl." - lets be frank…this entire season has been a let down for FSU, why stop at the bowl game?

Our defense is designed to deal with mobile QB's and spread offenses.

We would struggle with the fact that FSU is simply bigger than us.

Either opponent is fine with me.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: