Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

TOURNAMENT THREAD: FAU in the Gulf Coast Showcase - November 20th to 23rd, 2017

Add topic

Sitting at 1-1, the Owls are looking to get their first win of the season over a D1 opponent Monday night against Towson in the prime-time game at the Gulf Coast Showcase in Ft. Myers.

The Towson Tigers enter the tournament 2-1, having won their two most previous games after falling to Old Dominion in the season opener.

With the season still young -and Towson's website missing statistical information from their previous games- it's silly to go into their team offensive, defensive, and rebounding averages.

That being said, starting SG Zane Martin is an absolute baller. Owls must contain him, and then not get dominated on the boards like Towson's previous opponents, if FAU wants to continue in this tournament in the winners bracket.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

No change in tonight's starters. It's a starting lineup that I am personally a BIG fan of. The only issue is that Curry subs most of these players out immediately, and constantly tweaks with the order of the players on the court. 

Back to the top

Midway through the first half, and the Owls are down 23-14 to Towson.

FAU is shooting a horrific 26%, while the Tigers have converted 56% from the field.

Not the Owls' best start to a game.

Back to the top

Halftime in Estero: The Towson Tigers lead FAU 36-25. Somehow, someway, the Owls only find themselves down by 11 despite shooting 34% FG compared to Towson's 58%.

Delph leads Owls in scoring, rebounds, and minutes with 8, 8, and 17 respectively.

Massey & Hulsey both have 5 points a piece.

Back to the top

Owls are unable to keep any momentum going as easy, open shots have continuously either bounced off the rim, or miss the it entirely.

Towson still leads FAU, 50-36 with 11:03 left in the second half.

Back to the top

Final in Estero: FAU MBB falls to 1-2 on the season, losing to Towson 76-52. Owls now enter the losers bracket of the Gulf Coast Showcase, will play Northern Illinois Tuesday afternoon at 1:15.

Back to the top

Is it too much to ask that we be able to compete with Towson?  I'm ready to move on from Curry.
Back to the top

owlmart said

Is it too much to ask that we be able to compete with Towson?  I'm ready to move on from Curry.
Posted On: Nov 20th 2017, 9:19 PM #373869

We're lucky that we only lost by 24. We lost in EVERY STATISTICAL CATEGORY but blocks (3-1) and offensive boards (16-8). FG%, 3PT%, turnovers, rebounds, steals, assists, etc… Meanwhile, we made Towson look like Gonzaga as they shot 53% FG & 41% from the arch. Both sides of the ball looked completely lost in the final 10 minutes.

Back to the top

I see another wasted year coming up, embarrassing.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Save the buyout money for curry and a new coach for more money for Kiffin. Basketball just feels like a lost cause right now.
Back to the top
Control functions: