Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

ODD MAN OUT: Why Coach Kiffin Will Stay

ODD MAN OUT: Why Coach Kiffin Will Stay

• "It's really fulfilled me, more than the big stage - any of that stuff - to really watch these kids do things they've never done before." - Lane Kiffin

• "You are not going to get Coach Speak here, when I say I'm happy here, that's what every coach says. But I really am. It's a very unique situation: A) we have a great team, B) a ton of them come back, almost the whole team comes back. And we love living here. There's a family element that's awesome. My dad's here. My brother's a coordinator. Mom's here. My brother's four kids. We've got a president that wants football to win, came from Clemson and envisions this place being like Clemson some day." - Lane Kiffin

• "It is not what people would assume that `You took this job to get the next one'. Coaches do that because they want to get to that elite level that they call it. I think this is a very unique place in where we’re at as a team. We have the majority of our team coming back. We’ve got one of the most dynamic players in college football, and he’s only a true sophomore.” - Lane Kiffin

• Q: What is your level of interest to leave after one year and go to one of these so called big jobs?

• "Ten years ago…yes you take jobs like this to help them win…then a lot of times you move on and go to an elite top 10 type jobs…Coaches at a different place think differently than they used to, and I love it here and love all of it besides just the coaching." - lane Kiffin

• "We've got some transfers sitting out that are dynamic NFL type players that are waiting to play next year…this could be something extremely special…that's pretty special to think about." - Lane Kiffin
Back to the top

I'm with you Rick.  I think he's here longer than people think.  At some point the offer will be too big to pass up with the right team but I think that is a ways away.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

The talk is definitely there. He seems to be a guy who likes attention and who likes the beach lifestyle. South Florida fits the lifestyle and he is getting attention for winning. However, he has also been known to jump ship and move on to bigger and better things. Maybe he has matured and now realizes that being at a top-tier program is not all it appears to be. FAU provides a low-pressure job where he could conceivably stay for as long as he wants. That said, big money will come calling at some point (maybe even this year) and it would be hard to turn down $3 million plus per year.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

How about this guys;

ww.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21493936

Great interview, he is really enjoying life and the team HERE at FAU! And with NO state income tax he is really making the equal to MINIMUM of $1.5M in other states!
Back to the top

Geeorgia, I get the point. But if that is accurate, that is one heck of a large state tax.
Back to the top

Well if Dr. Kelley is using Clemson as a model for what he envisions for FAU, it wont be long before more rail-carts will have to be added to the Lane train …

And I'm assuming he is aware of what it will take to retain LK and keep that train rolling.

I went to the FAU vs Clemson game back in 06 and it was one of the best college game day atmosphere…

It's a long term plan, so LK will have to be here awhile for this vision to see fruition, IMO.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Geeorgia, I get the point. But if that is accurate, that is one heck of a large state tax.
Posted On: Nov 22nd 2017, 5:22 AM #373919

I myself was wondering what state has 33% income tax lol
Back to the top

California has the highest state income tax at 13.3%, followed by Hawaii at 11%, Oregon at 9.9%, Minnesota at 9.85%, and Iowa at 8.89%. Saving 13.3% on a $1 million salary is a nice perk of living in Florida.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I never heard of tax effecting a million dollar salary to have a buying power of $1.5 million.  Congressman of what district?
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

California has the highest state income tax at 13.3%, followed by Hawaii at 11%, Oregon at 9.9%, Minnesota at 9.85%, and Iowa at 8.89%. Saving 13.3% on a $1 million salary is a nice perk of living in Florida.

GO OWLS!!!
Posted On: Nov 22nd 2017, 9:41 AM #373932

Point taken, but conceivably he'd be earning a lot more in California.
Back to the top
Control functions: