Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Tennessee protests Schiano hiring

Add topic

owlsdad said

To me it shows how inept the administration has become - did they not ask around or at least float his name?
Posted On: Nov 27th 2017, 1:28 PM #374262

+1

What immediately came to my mind was President Saunders fumble of the GEO Group deal…

I was speaking to former beat writer Dieter Kurtenbach in the Oxley parking lot when the protests started and said to him "weren't these people smart enough to have an external PR agency and/or legal team review the offering for feasibility/acceptance before just rushing down the aisle".

Obviously soon thereafter the deal was dead.

Back to the top

owlsdad said

Tennessee fans as mentioned are delusional.  They expect a Nick Saban (or I guess Gruden) and were probably not going to be happy even if they landed Chip Kelly or had to "settle" for Dan Mullen.  

Schiano from an X's and O's perspective is IMO a pretty good coach.  Looking at his Rutger's record and calling him a .500 coach doesn't tell the story - making Rutgers even competitive much less a bowl team took a lot of effort.  Getting them on the map (and the TV market) is what ultimately landed Rutgers into the Big 10, even though he was gone by then.  I think this was more the public outcry that Tennessee really didn't want the guy and their existing players were scared of a hard-@$$ coach coming in.  To me it shows how inept the administration has become - did they not ask around or at least float his name?  I had not heard even a murmur about him until it was announced they were trying to finalize negotiations.  Who the heck are they going to realistically expect to land now?
Posted On: Nov 27th 2017, 1:28 PM #374262

All good points and he did improve that program but he also did it by being among the first to heavily recruit the Florida kid's. Gave him that speed edge in those Big East days.

Now in Big 10 in SAME division as the Ohio St, the other UM, Michigan St. AND Penn St.! NOT A GOOD PLACE TO BE!!!!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Now in Big 10 in SAME division as the Ohio St, the other UM, Michigan St. AND Penn St.! NOT A GOOD PLACE TO BE!!!!

Kind of depends on how you look at it.  Rutgers has never been very good at football - Schiano go them competitive.  But even getting their butts kicked every week in the Big 10, they still cash something like $40M in revenue sharing every year.

So they could be close to a .500 team in a smaller conference, or 2-9 but be rich in the Big 10!
Back to the top

I think they have some sort of weird deal with the Big10 where they don’t get those big revenue checks for the first 5 years or something…I’m not making that up right?
Back to the top

teambeer said

I think they have some sort of weird deal with the Big10 where they don’t get those big revenue checks for the first 5 years or something…I’m not making that up right?
Posted On: Nov 27th 2017, 7:55 PM #374302

Correct, 6 year integration to full share in the 40M range.  First year about 9+M.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Kinda like agreeing to be extorted to be in their club - eventually! Guess ya gotta pay your dues to be in that high paying club (part of the monopoly called the "Power5"). :Smug:
Back to the top

The AD (now former) was set to offer Mike Leach and had a memorandum of understanding in place and people at the University were making calls to tell him not to come  :Laughing:

That place is nuts, no way in hell Kiff goes back there again.

Ridiculous, they are so disorganized right now.

On a side note:

The just fired the AD and Phil Fulmer is "in charge".

Back to the top

Kim Jung Un has reconsidered and will take the job at Tennessee if he can bring his long range missiles with him.
Back to the top

Fulmer and Kiffin - DON'T THINK SO!!!!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Fulmer and Kiffin - DON'T THINK SO!!!!
Posted On: Dec 1st 2017, 9:06 PM #374473

No kidding - and no way (either side) we see a Fulmer and Kiffin "marriage" in Knoxville. 
Back to the top
Control functions: