Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Stanford Offensive Coordinator Mike Bloomgren Takes Reigns at Rice

Add topic

Rice Director of Athletics Joe Karlgaard has announced that Stanford Associate Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator Mike Bloomgren has agreed to a five-year contract to become the 19th head football coach at Rice University.

“The football program is important to our university and this community. Mike Bloomgren is a bright, driven, and relentless coach who fits perfectly with our vision for championships on the field, scholarship in the classroom, and service to others. I’m grateful to President Leebron for his support and assistance in recruiting the Bloomgrens to Rice. I can’t wait for Mike, Lara, Tyler, and Parker to join us in Houston.”

“I am excited and humbled to lead the football program at Rice,” Bloomgren said. “In my seven years at Stanford, I have seen firsthand how elite college athletics and academics can not only coexist, but thrive together.  I want to create an environment at Rice where every player’s dreams are realized on and off the field“

Bloomgren comes to Rice after seven seasons with the Cardinal, first as the offensive line coach (2011-12) and then assuming the reigns of Stanford’s pro style offensive attack in 2013, setting the stage for one of the most successful decades in the program’s rich history. Stanford has won eight or more games in each of his seasons and reached the Pac-12 Football Championship four times, winning three titles.
Back to the top

Interesting hire, don't think a lot of it though. Very conservative style of O and even this year Stanford had 3rd lowest yards gained and dead last in 1st downs. But as always depends on OC & DC he chooses and how they do, assuming he lets them run their shows as Coach K did this year here!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Interesting hire, don't think a lot of it though. Very conservative style of O and even this year Stanford had 3rd lowest yards gained and dead last in 1st downs. But as always depends on OC & DC he chooses and how they do, assuming he lets them run their shows as Coach K did this year here!
Posted On: Dec 8th 2017, 2:46 PM #375160

Yeah but having coached at Stanford he fits because of the academics Rice has.
Back to the top

Hard to win consistently when you have a bunch of doctors and lawyers running around on the field!
Back to the top

I am sure he is a good Coach and dealing with the "academics" but Rice won't be easy. We think recruiting Florida is bad, try Texas, how many FBS programs in that state Nine (9) I think.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

I am sure he is a good Coach and dealing with the "academics" but Rice won't be easy. We think recruiting Florida is bad, try Texas, how many FBS programs in that state Nine (9) I think.
Posted On: Dec 8th 2017, 8:19 PM #375173

If he can get them to 7-5 that would be impressive.

Back to the top

7-5 at SMU good enough for the SEC I guess now! :Laughing:
Back to the top
Control functions: