Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2017-18 FAU Men's Basketball Schedule

Add topic

Men's basketball records largest margin of victory ever

FAU men’s basketball's dynamic offensive attack maintained its momentum, defeating Webber International 106-46 on Sunday. The 60-point margin of victory is the largest history.

FAU got out of the gates quickly, building a 32-8 lead less than eight minutes into the game. The Warriors (3-5) never got closer than 20 and the Owls had a 17-5 run late in the first half, taking a 65-27 lead into the locker room.

The Owls kept their foot on the gas to start the second half, using a 31-6 run out of the break to increase the margin to 54, 85-31, at the 14:05 mark, and won the game going away.

“Our point guard play has been really good…have been really engaged in understanding that they’re going to have a lot of opportunities throughout the game, but they have to get their shooters and scorers opportunities", said head Coach Michael Curry.

Gerdarius Troutman led all scorers with 20 points and added three assists, while Justin Massey continued his offensive outburst, coming off the bench for 16 points.

Ronald Delph tallied 13 points and 11 rebounds for his third double-double of the season, William Pfister scored a career-high 12 points, and Amir Smith added 10, giving FAU five double-digit scorers for the third straight game.

FAU will next hosts Arkansas State at Saturday, December 16th at 7:00 PM.

UPDATED SCHEDULE: 2017-18 FAU Men's Basketball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Go Owls!!!!  
Back to the top

FAU men's basketball loses a heart breaker to Arkansas State in a homecoming for former Owl assistant Mike Balado, who is now skipper for ASU.

Florida Atlantic fought back to tie it up at the break, but could not hold on to the lead late as the Red Wolves sink the game winning shot on multiple attempts with under 10 seconds to play.

The Owls led 63-60 with :45 to play after consecutive free throws by Justin Massey, but an ensuing basket from ASU was followed by an FAU turnover that gave them the ball back to complete the comeback.

The loss snaps a four game winning streak where the team posted over 90 points per outing.

They will next face Texas Tech on Tuesday night at 8:00 PM in Lubbock.

Back to the top

Disappointing doesn't begin to describe the performance against Arkansas State.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

The men’s basketball team’s first trip outside the Sunshine State was an unsuccessful one, as the Owls lost to Texas Tech 90-54 on Tuesday night.  

After the no. 21 Red Raiders (10-1) opened the game on a 13-4 run, but FAU (6-5) rallied to tie the game at 17. Later in the first half, Justin Massey hit a three-pointer to put the Owls up 28-27. Texas Tech responded with nine straight points to take a 36-28 lead.

Leading 40-33 at halftime, the Red Raiders opened the second half with a 22-7 run that stretched their lead to 22, and the Owls never got closer than 19 the rest of the way.

Notables

• Justin Massey led all scorers with 17 points. He also pulled down four rebounds.
  • Ronald Delph scored 16 points, had six rebounds and three blocks.  
  • The Owls were outshot 54.8 to 27.6 percent from the floor in the second half.

FAU travels to Minnesota to play the Golden Gophers on Saturday, Dec. 22. Tip-off is set for 3:30 PM and the game will air on the Big Ten Network.

UPDATED SHCEDULE: 2017-18 FAU Men's Basketball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest
Back to the top

The Owls concluded their nonconference schedule with a 95-60 loss to Minnesota on Saturday. The Owls end their nonconference season with a 6-6 record.    

The Golden Gophers (11-3) stormed out to a 28-7 lead early in the first half. FAU fought back to within 13 later in the frame, but Minnesota responded with another run that put the game out of reach, with the Owls never getting closer than 20 points.

After missing the Texas Tech game with a broken nose, Jailyn Ingram filled the stat sheet in his return, scoring 12 points, grabbing five rebounds, distributing three assists, nabbing two steals and blocking a shot.

“We end our nonconference schedule 6-6, but we’re two buzzer beaters away from being 8-4, so we’re going to try and learn from those as we move into conference play", said Head Coach Michael Curry.

Other Notables

- Gerdarius Troutman led all scorers with 18 points. He also dished out a career high five assists.
- Ronald Delph scored 17 points, had six rebounds and two blocks.  

The Owls will open Conference USA play at rival FIU next Satuerday. Tipoff is set for 7:00 PM.

Back to the top

This “coach” is a joke. If he had any respect for himself he would resign.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

This “coach” is a joke. If he had any respect for himself he would resign.
Posted On: Dec 23rd 2017, 8:14 PM #375876

It was sad…

Guys were stopped by the Gophers and they would look around and NO ONE would be moving at all, or even trying to help out…

Simple things like cutting to the basket, setting a back screen - no where to be found. I honestly have no idea what our offense is supposed to be other than hand offs, an occasional high screen, dump it into Delph, or pass to the wing for Troutman.

It's mainly unorganized free-for-all style…whoever gets it chucks it up…It worked when we were playing the likes of Ave Maria, but if the shooters are not on, or the defense keys in on things in man to man fashion, it simply does not - you have to have set plays to run.

It's really not the players' fault, they are going to do what they are told to do, and I feel bad for them…

Back to the top

Owls are blown out by the Blazers in their C-USA home opener. MTSU won't be any easier.

Back to the top

I wonder what attendance has been like under Curry. I went to 2-3 home games last season (I used to go to most of them) and I was surprised people were still showing up despite how bad we had been doing. Couple hundred people so not a lot, but still, I was thinking it would be a handful of people in each section.

We talk a lot about "showing up to support your Owls" through thick and thin but if you compare the number of people who are active posters here vs the number of people at games, there are clearly people out there who are following that advice and putting butts in seats despite the disappointments. I've been here so long it's kind of hard to imagine being an FAU fan without the support of the rest of TON; it creates that community that otherwise is hard to find in "the real world."
Back to the top
Control functions: