Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Anyone remember Baker Mayfield???

Add topic

teambeer said

Goes to show how if you catch a break, a QB works out like that kid and we have a different season on our hands.

That said, Jeff Driskel was the worlds greatest QB coming out of high school…they don't always work out. Sure would be nice to find out though!  :Big-Grin:
Posted On: Sep 7th 2013, 9:08 PM #316982

Just found this and it only took 4 years to find out he is one of the greatest….

Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Baker Mayfield is definitely getting some hype in the preseason magazines. Would have been great for that hype to be around an FAU player.
Posted On: Aug 20th 2016, 1:26 AM #357829

It's about to be…#5

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Can you believe Motor did not garner ONE vote but of course Penny got a lot AND the UCF QB Milton got votes too. Both are deserving but so is Motor!
Back to the top

I heard an interview with Spurrier and he said his votes went to Mayfield, Flowers (USF), and Milton (UCF).  He said he always votes for 3 QBs, but found it interesting with his second 2 (instead of guys from "big" schools like Jackson).
Back to the top

The Heisman is losing some of its luster to me. It’s pretty much just an award for best power 5 quarterback. It’s cool that spurrier used his ballot to give credit to some really good non P5 players. 
Back to the top

Jackson last year was a little different, but most years now it seems like the best player on one of the very best teams rather than the most outstanding (as they have in their charter).

There is no consistency for what it is really supposed to be.  Not hard to see that it is the most-hyped (player and program).  Jackson actually had very similar overall numbers and was a better passer this season, but his team was 8-4 and he was WAY back in 3rd place.  Derrick Henry won in 2015 primarily because he had 3 or 4 really big weeks in a row with every game on national TV.  He was the most outstanding player on the Alabama team that was going to win the title - so he was going to win the award no matter what anybody else did.

Mayfield may very well have deserved it this season because he played big in big games, but this was one of the 5 most lopsided Heisman wins in history.  And I am not sure I am ready to say Baker Mayfield is one of the all-time greatest college football players.
Back to the top
Control functions: