Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2017 Boca Bowl Game Thread - Akron @ FAU - Dec 19th @ 7:00 PM

Add topic

When will events and parties be announced leading up to the bowl game?
Back to the top

Latest detail about the game:

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 10.07.40 AM.png

With an over/under of 62, that means the projected score would be around 42-19.  Akron has pretty good redzone and 3rd down defense stats (and a lot of INTs), so jumping on them early like Toledo did in both of their games will be important.  The redzone I don't want to see so many blown early-game chances like we had in the CUSA championship.  The Zips give up a lot of yards, but we need to capitalize on those trips (or do like we have all year and hit a bunch of homeruns) :Big-Grin:
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Latest detail about the game:

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 10.07.40 AM.png

With an over/under of 62, that means the projected score would be around 42-19.  Akron has pretty good redzone and 3rd down defense stats (and a lot of INTs), so jumping on them early like Toledo did in both of their games will be important.  The redzone I don't want to see so many blown early-game chances like we had in the CUSA championship.  The Zips give up a lot of yards, but we need to capitalize on those trips (or do like we have all year and hit a bunch of homeruns) :Big-Grin:
Posted On: Dec 6th 2017, 10:23 AM #375077

lol you stole my graphic from the Zips page…

It's Owl Time!
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

When will events and parties be announced leading up to the bowl game?
Posted On: Dec 6th 2017, 10:20 AM #375076

It's on the bowl game web site… Looks like Akron is staying in West Palm Beach.
Here's the schedule:  

Schedule – Boca Raton Bowl

It's Owl Time!
Back to the top

Still plenty of time before the game, but anybody have any idea's about Akron?  Some of the stats are above, and I went back and watched a little of the MAC championship game (I found replays on ESPN of their games against Toledo, Kent State, and Ohio).  I saw a poster on their board say he thought FAU was most like Ohio from the MAC, but they all admit that our tempo/speed is going to be what they have to overcome.  Admittedly I stopped watching the Toledo game because it was getting relatively ugly, but they did make at least some kind of comeback - reminded me of the CUSA championship game with us getting way ahead and then kind of coasting.

Toledo is way different than us, relying on their passing game, so that also didn't help trying to assess what we might look like against them.  Akron has some veteran coaches in Bowden and Amato. And they do have a number of FL kids on the roster (including the guy who has taken over the QB position), and they target some of the same kids FAU does in recruiting.  So thought we could devote a little conversation to thoughts about the game, opponent, etc.  I know the spread is large (and even started big), but let's talk a little about what we need to do and what we think we need to stop to prove the prognosticators correct.

And regarding spreads - we are still 22.5 point favorites.  There is only 1 other bowl game with a spread greater than 10 points (FSU at 15.5).
Back to the top

We're going to win by 40 points and we'll be running trick plays in the middle of the 4th quarter for touchdowns. Also, I too have calmed down a bit about going to this bowl. Although, I'm still a bit angry…and annoyed that people are saying we got put in this bowl because of attendance…a topic we'll surely talk about on the next podcast.

Anyway, at least we're bowling.
Back to the top

I was watching the bowl game presser a few days ago and they mentioned that Akron was wearing blue with a gold helmet… did I get that correctly?  If they are wearing blue will we wear the white or the grey jerseys… I'm pretty sure we're not allowed to wear red without getting charged a timeout at the beginning of the game as a penalty… I forget how it works and honestly I can't believe I'm even thinking about it.  haha… what do you guys think?

It's Owl Time!
Back to the top

I am a owl said

If they are wearing blue will we wear the white or the grey jerseys…
Posted On: Dec 12th 2017, 10:47 AM #375252

We will be in white jerseys with the rest still TBD as of right now.

Personally would like to see us in this look:

Back to the top

FAU wore white jerseys at home for the first time in program history in the CUSA Championship game.

Owls will now where white at home for two straight games.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

White Jerseys are fine but they need to be wearing the cherry red helmets for the bowl game!
Back to the top
Control functions: