Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Any news on Kiffin getting at least a raise for winning the conference?

Well Brian rowitz tweeted or saying pres Kelly is working on a long term deal with Kiffin 
Back to the top

That's awesome news, I can't wait to find out the details.
Back to the top

I saw that --- I also so LK retweeted it...

It's Owl Time!
Back to the top

Any guesses on what we'll offer him?

What's even possible - $2M/yr? $3M/year seems a stretch, to say the least.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Posted On: Dec 16th 2017, 7:00 AM #375348

Wishful thinking is we double his base salary and that of the assistants.  Realistically, I think 50% raises.
Back to the top

owlmart said

Owl2Doc said

Posted On: Dec 16th 2017, 7:00 AM #375348

Wishful thinking is we double his base salary and that of the assistants.  Realistically, I think 50% raises.
Posted On: Dec 16th 2017, 7:19 AM #375349

50% for both him AND staff seems practical and doable along with bigger bonuses for wins, titles, attendance, grades, etc….. along with a HUGE buyout ($10M+ whenever - not reducing over time) so that if/when Coach K wants to accept a HUGE offer for himself, that FAU benefits (at least financially) as well! The coaching salary wars at the Power 5 level ARE rediculous now - as are the buyouts to FAILED Coaches

I think Coach K would be OK with a Big Power 5 program who really want him enriching both him AND FAU! We all know they can afford it in the monopoly world of the Power5!
Back to the top

I just have reservations that he'd accept a buyout change from $2M to $10M to make an additional $500K/year. That is a pretty lopsided deal.
Back to the top

Just playing devil's advocate, but does anybody know where that money is going to come from?  Most were really excited but a little surprised that we ponied-up what we did for Kiffin and staff this year, and unless the football team somehow made a bunch of money this year that I didn't know about where is another couple of million $$$s going to come from?

Don't get me wrong - we need to do what we can to retain them.  But the money has to come from somewhere.  We need significant increases in donors, season ticket holders, and attendance to double-down like this.  I expect raises and they are going to get bumps for performance incentives.  I also hope we have money just lying around, but I kind of doubt it.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

I just have reservations that he'd accept a buyout change from $2M to $10M to make an additional $500K/year. That is a pretty lopsided deal.
Posted On: Dec 16th 2017, 10:06 AM #375353

Agreed on the "balance", but in today's Power 5 "economy", the new school or it's boosters usually pay that buyout to both fire a FAILED Coach and hire a new one.

It is crazy and stupid to me but if say FSU or Oregon or Arizona St. in three years decide that Taggert, Edwards or Critoballs need replacing (I will say ALL THREE), those schools and their boosters will GLADLY pay FAU the $10M to get Coach K!!!!
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Just playing devil's advocate, but does anybody know where that money is going to come from?  Most were really excited but a little surprised that we ponied-up what we did for Kiffin and staff this year, and unless the football team somehow made a bunch of money this year that I didn't know about where is another couple of million $$$s going to come from?

Don't get me wrong - we need to do what we can to retain them.  But the money has to come from somewhere.  We need significant increases in donors, season ticket holders, and attendance to double-down like this.  I expect raises and they are going to get bumps for performance incentives.  I also hope we have money just lying around, but I kind of doubt it.
Posted On: Dec 16th 2017, 10:10 AM #375355

Well, we've had higher attendance this year than any other year at the stadium so that's part of it, a lot comes with that including ticket sales, merch, future ad dollars, etc.  Obviously, money from the bowl game.  Just guessing on this one, but I'd imagine donations have increased.  Applications are up, I don't know exactly where that money goes, but if you project accepting more students in the years to come, you can assume more athletic fee income.
Back to the top
Control functions: