Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU vs Oklahoma Line Announced

jgf2017 said

I'm not aware of any losses to our secondary. In fact, the only defensive contributors we lose are Taleni and Nagel (who was a backup). I wouldn't say that we have to replace our QB. Obviously Driskel left Bc Robison was going to take over. So that can be viewed as an upgrade. We just signed a phenomenal Center who had offers from several powerhouse programs coming out of HS. OU loses a lot. It's not as simple as replacing those guys and automatically contending for a NC. Come actually game time, a lot of people are going to keep an eye on this game as a potential upset.
Posted On: Jan 22nd 2018, 10:47 AM #376555
I always love how our loses do not matter, but the other teams loses are big.

You point out how they are losing their LT which is big, but us losing our center is not a big deal because we got some guy who could not make grades out of high school.
OU go the number 3 LT in the country.
Again OU doesn't rebuild they reload and have won the big 12 3 years in a row and have lost players every year to the NFL.
I just want to beat AirForce
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

jgf2017 said

I'm not aware of any losses to our secondary. In fact, the only defensive contributors we lose are Taleni and Nagel (who was a backup). I wouldn't say that we have to replace our QB. Obviously Driskel left Bc Robison was going to take over. So that can be viewed as an upgrade. We just signed a phenomenal Center who had offers from several powerhouse programs coming out of HS. OU loses a lot. It's not as simple as replacing those guys and automatically contending for a NC. Come actually game time, a lot of people are going to keep an eye on this game as a potential upset.
I always love how our loses do not matter, but the other teams loses are big.

You point out how they are losing their LT which is big, but us losing our center is not a big deal because we got some guy who could not make grades out of high school.
OU go the number 3 LT in the country.
Again OU doesn't rebuild they reload and have won the big 12 3 years in a row and have lost players every year to the NFL.
I just want to beat AirForce
Posted On: Jan 22nd 2018, 12:04 PM #376557

I want Airforce and 14 points against Oklahoma.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

But for us it's not as simple as reloading and upsetting Oklahoma. We don't have 4 star guys redshirting and waiting for their chance. If I'm not mistaken, we're currently pretty happy to seven 3 star guys that have committed according to 247. And we have a 24 year old 1st time OC, and two quarterbacks who have seen negligible time, or zero time, playing division 1 football. And our phenomenal new center is replacing an all-conference center, so it's not necessarily an immediate upgrade.

There's a huge difference between the 3rd ranked team replacing the heisman-winning quarterback with another 5 star guy, and us replacing our guys.

I don't know why we keep thinking we've got a shot at Oklahoma, but not UCF. And why we're more concerned with OU than with winning the conference. I'm honestly more interested in why FIU hauled in thirteen 3 stars and two 4 stars, and how're we're going to compete with them two years from now.
Back to the top

Well, the 21 point spread is a lot less than in any other "body bag" game we've ever played. Our team has a "Beat Oklahoma" countdown clock lol. So apparently everyone who'll actually play and coach in the game thinks we can win. It's time to think big. An undefeated conference slate (including the championship game) is basically a lock. Maybe we lose one. We've won 7 straight home games, and there's every reason to believe we'll go undefeated at home next season. The question is, how many road games do we lose? The obvious games in question are OU and UCF. We're playing with nothing to lose at OU, knowing that we're probably going to win at least 12 games anyways. OU has everything to lose. While our QB may be a question mark (not to me), he could just as easily torch the OU defense as he could play poorly.
Back to the top

David Slavic said

jgf2017 said

But for us it's not as simple as reloading and upsetting Oklahoma. We don't have 4 star guys redshirting and waiting for their chance. If I'm not mistaken, we're currently pretty happy to seven 3 star guys that have committed according to 247. And we have a 24 year old 1st time OC, and two quarterbacks who have seen negligible time, or zero time, playing division 1 football. And our phenomenal new center is replacing an all-conference center, so it's not necessarily an immediate upgrade.

There's a huge difference between the 3rd ranked team replacing the heisman-winning quarterback with another 5 star guy, and us replacing our guys.

I don't know why we keep thinking we've got a shot at Oklahoma, but not UCF. And why we're more concerned with OU than with winning the conference. I'm honestly more interested in why FIU hauled in thirteen 3 stars and two 4 stars, and how're we're going to compete with them two years from now.
Posted On: Jan 22nd 2018, 12:42 PM #376559
FIU put more into the early period our class will be top three in the conference when the dust settles
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

David Slavic said

jgf2017 said

Posted On: Jan 22nd 2018, 12:42 PM #376559
FIU put more into the early period our class will be top three in the conference when the dust settles

Posted On: Jan 22nd 2018, 1:15 PM #376561

1. Fiu's class legitimately scares me. Lots of ballers in there. However, I know a bunch of them, including their top recruit, have character issues.
2. We should finish with more than enough to plug our holes but not even close enough to match up with OU comfortably. Ball will have to bounce our way 3-4 times (interceptions, forced fumbles, etc.) for us to have a chance.
3. Our team has so many returning starters I don't really care about this class besides the holes it fills, which is pretty much both lines and a few corners.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

I might get crushed for this, but did you really just say something about another school signing some guys with "character issues" when we totally embraced the Last Chance U motto since Kiffin got here?  We are talking about both of our QBs being a possible upgrade, but both of them are guys who got kicked out of their first schools.

If this staff is looking for anything longer than the next season, they need to be signing some high schoolers to get in here and learn, get bigger/stronger, etc.  We are stacked, but for you guys thinking 11 or 12 wins is a given, that is a bit of crazy talk.  Maybe it is for the next year, but if we don't have a high school pipeline going on it won't take long after the staff leaves for us to be back where we were.

In my opinion it is like "buy" versus "build".  You can get over the hump to win a championship by filling the holes with JuCos and transfers.  But if you want to build a program you need to do that with building depth with high school kids who become studs as redshirt Sophomores.
Back to the top

"Fiu's class legitimately scares me."

The school down south has done a good job recruiting this cycle.  Butch is strong in that area.

But remember, there is more to this picture…they lose a TON of starters.  They are able to recruit at this level this particular year because of the promise of early playing time.

We aren't in the same predicament.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

owlsdad said

I might get crushed for this, but did you really just say something about another school signing some guys with "character issues" when we totally embraced the Last Chance U motto since Kiffin got here?  We are talking about both of our QBs being a possible upgrade, but both of them are guys who got kicked out of their first schools.

If this staff is looking for anything longer than the next season, they need to be signing some high schoolers to get in here and learn, get bigger/stronger, etc.  We are stacked, but for you guys thinking 11 or 12 wins is a given, that is a bit of crazy talk.  Maybe it is for the next year, but if we don't have a high school pipeline going on it won't take long after the staff leaves for us to be back where we were.

In my opinion it is like "buy" versus "build".  You can get over the hump to win a championship by filling the holes with JuCos and transfers.  But if you want to build a program you need to do that with building depth with high school kids who become studs as redshirt Sophomores.
Posted On: Jan 22nd 2018, 2:51 PM #376564

That's a fair point, we're not going to be the king of the hill every year. UF won 4 games this year, so programs have their ups and downs. The key part is making as big of a splash as we can while Kiffin is here. We're one great season away from truly becoming a household name. Once a football program is a household name and has had success, even if you have some down years, it's much easier to get back to winning once you've won before. Obviously a win over OU would be great for this season. But it could also bring our school to the national spotlight, and we could literally be the first story on Sportscenter and all that stuff. There would be all sorts of talk about do we make the playoff. It's crazy, but who knows what happens if we run the table.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

owlsdad said

Posted On: Jan 22nd 2018, 2:51 PM #376564

That's a fair point, we're not going to be the king of the hill every year. UF won 4 games this year, so programs have their ups and downs. The key part is making as big of a splash as we can while Kiffin is here. We're one great season away from truly becoming a household name. Once a football program is a household name and has had success, even if you have some down years, it's much easier to get back to winning once you've won before. Obviously a win over OU would be great for this season. But it could also bring our school to the national spotlight, and we could literally be the first story on Sportscenter and all that stuff. There would be all sorts of talk about do we make the playoff. It's crazy, but who knows what happens if we run the table.
Posted On: Jan 22nd 2018, 7:59 PM #376568

Ok first we are not a win away from becoming a household name. Upsets happen you need to build off that.

Also at our level, you need some JUCO/tranfers it's the only way you can get gets who are way more talented then most at our level.
Out of 25 person class 6-7 JUCU's are nice. When you simply rely on 25 2-3 star high schoolers you will have to many misses to be good every year IE the Napier's, Parr's, Archers just to name a few.
Back to the top
Control functions: