Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU vs Oklahoma Line Announced

I agree that the Jucos can kill it and especially about Parr lol. I know it sounds crazy, the possibility of us going undefeated. I wonder if we'd make the playoff.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

owlsdad said

I might get crushed for this, but did you really just say something about another school signing some guys with "character issues" when we totally embraced the Last Chance U motto since Kiffin got here?  We are talking about both of our QBs being a possible upgrade, but both of them are guys who got kicked out of their first schools.

If this staff is looking for anything longer than the next season, they need to be signing some high schoolers to get in here and learn, get bigger/stronger, etc.  We are stacked, but for you guys thinking 11 or 12 wins is a given, that is a bit of crazy talk.  Maybe it is for the next year, but if we don't have a high school pipeline going on it won't take long after the staff leaves for us to be back where we were.

In my opinion it is like "buy" versus "build".  You can get over the hump to win a championship by filling the holes with JuCos and transfers.  But if you want to build a program you need to do that with building depth with high school kids who become studs as redshirt Sophomores.
Posted On: Jan 22nd 2018, 2:51 PM #376564

That's a fair point, we're not going to be the king of the hill every year. UF won 4 games this year, so programs have their ups and downs. The key part is making as big of a splash as we can while Kiffin is here. We're one great season away from truly becoming a household name. Once a football program is a household name and has had success, even if you have some down years, it's much easier to get back to winning once you've won before. Obviously a win over OU would be great for this season. But it could also bring our school to the national spotlight, and we could literally be the first story on Sportscenter and all that stuff. There would be all sorts of talk about do we make the playoff. It's crazy, but who knows what happens if we run the table.
Posted On: Jan 22nd 2018, 7:59 PM #376568

Ok first we are not a win away from becoming a household name. Upsets happen you need to build off that.

Also at our level, you need some JUCO/tranfers it's the only way you can get gets who are way more talented then most at our level.
Out of 25 person class 6-7 JUCU's are nice. When you simply rely on 25 2-3 star high schoolers you will have to many misses to be good every year IE the Napier's, Parr's, Archers just to name a few.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

I agree that the Jucos can kill it and especially about Parr lol. I know it sounds crazy, the possibility of us going undefeated. I wonder if we'd make the playoff.
Posted On: Jan 22nd 2018, 8:26 PM #376571

Let's just take it a game at a time.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

jgf2017 said

Let's just take it a game at a time.
Posted On: Jan 22nd 2018, 10:21 PM #376573

Seriously, if you're using last year as a bench mark you're setting yourself up for disappointment.  We're going to have a brand new starting QB and an extremely young OC, you have to account for a learning curve here.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

No. UCF went undefeated, and didn't make it into the top 5. Granted, they had some games cancelled, but beating one ranked team doesn't get you into the playoff, especially running the table in C-USA.

We're FAU. We'd make it to a bowl game lol. We ran the table in the conference, and couldn't get a good bowl matchup. We don't have the name brand to get us into the playoff, or even a New Years six bowl. We should be happy to be invited to something like the Holiday Bowl, or the Belk Bowl. It's cool to dream, but we have to be realistic about where our program is today.
Back to the top

David Slavic said

jgf2017 said

No. UCF went undefeated, and didn't make it into the top 5. Granted, they had some games cancelled, but beating one ranked team doesn't get you into the playoff, especially running the table in C-USA.

We're FAU. We'd make it to a bowl game lol. We ran the table in the conference, and couldn't get a good bowl matchup. We don't have the name brand to get us into the playoff, or even a New Years six bowl. We should be happy to be invited to something like the Holiday Bowl, or the Belk Bowl. It's cool to dream, but we have to be realistic about where our program is today.
Posted On: Jan 23rd 2018, 8:52 AM #376576

I do think if we went 11-1 we would have a great shot at the NY6 bowl game. 
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

David Slavic said

jgf2017 said

Posted On: Jan 23rd 2018, 8:55 AM #376577

I don't think we would have the body of work to make it. We would have beaten one ranked team - UCF, and the rest of the schedule doesn't have the same clout as going 11-1 or 10-2 in the Big 10, Big 12, or SEC. I'm not knocking FAU, I love where we are, and where we're headed, I just don't think it's very realistic to think we would have a serious chance of making it to one of the premier games of the year.
Back to the top

David Slavic said

DeltAlumnus said

David Slavic said

jgf2017 said

Posted On: Jan 23rd 2018, 8:55 AM #376577

I don't think we would have the body of work to make it. We would have beaten one ranked team - UCF, and the rest of the schedule doesn't have the same clout as going 11-1 or 10-2 in the Big 10, Big 12, or SEC. I'm not knocking FAU, I love where we are, and where we're headed, I just don't think it's very realistic to think we would have a serious chance of making it to one of the premier games of the year.
Posted On: Jan 23rd 2018, 9:00 AM #376579

Right our schedule doesn’t have the power 5 clout. But the best group of 5 teams gets an automatic berth into a ny6 bowl. 
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

I know it sounds crazy, the possibility of us going undefeated. I wonder if we'd make the playoff.

No.

Wisconsin beat nine P5 schools in a row and couldn't get in.  We play one P5.  We would need to beat Oklahoma by 60 and then have Oklahoma kill everyone else for people to at least wonder how good we might be.  We are in CUSA. We will never have the body of work with the current system.
Back to the top

fauowl said

jgf2017 said

I know it sounds crazy, the possibility of us going undefeated. I wonder if we'd make the playoff.

No.

Wisconsin beat nine P5 schools in a row and couldn't get in.  We play one P5.  We would need to beat Oklahoma by 60 and then have Oklahoma kill everyone else for people to at least wonder how good we might be.  We are in CUSA. We will never have the body of work with the current system.
Posted On: Jan 23rd 2018, 9:19 AM #376581

Thank you. Let's focus on winning our conference, knocking off Airforce, and next time the conferences expand, moving to a P5 conference. At that point, we can have all the conversations in the world about whether we can beat Bama in the national championship.
Back to the top
Control functions: