Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Kiffin Taps Charlie Weis Jr as FAU Football's New OC

Garin is a class act. If I were Kiffen , I would make sure he returns to Boca.  I have no opinion on Charlie Jr.. I have no knowledge on the subject. This I know, No way would Kiffen bring in a loser. Kiffen must know what he is doing. Amazing how Pat Chun is old news already.
Back to the top

I am surprised by the Twitter reaction and national attention this hire is bringing. It was the Number 2 trending topic at one point. Great national attention for FAU in the "off-season." The question is if this will attract more people to the Spring Game?

Revolution- n. A large amount of change in a short amount of time.   FAU- n. The place where tomorrow begins.
Back to the top

teambeer said

his reason for leaving was to go work for his college coach, so hopefully it wasn't a dis at Kiffin.

Having that guy back would be awesome.
Posted On: Jan 17th 2018, 2:34 PM #376421

It would be fantastic.  

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

The97Revolution said

I am surprised by the Twitter reaction and national attention this hire is bringing. It was the Number 2 trending topic at one point. Great national attention for FAU in the "off-season." The question is if this will attract more people to the Spring Game?
Posted On: Jan 17th 2018, 3:24 PM #376424

I hope it helps even more with RECRUITING in the next month!!! And Coach K - bring Coach Justice back to rebuild that OL (and RECRUIT!). :cool:
Back to the top

A lot of people are calling this a strange hire because of his age but my mind immediately went to Kiffin's quick rise through the coaching ladder and it made 100% sense why he would hire this guy.

PLUS he'd probably work for less than others.

PLUS if Kiffin intends to call plays at least half the time or more, maybe he needed someone who would be cool with that and chalks it up to "well I'm getting the experience to work with Lane Kiffin." I just don't think we could hire the same kind of guy that, say, an SEC school would hire for their OC - a veteran coach, maybe a former HC like Hugh Freeze - and he'd be cool basically letting Kiffin do that part of his job. Not to mention that a Hugh Freeze-type of guy might want to run a different system than Kiffin wants to run and that creates a conflict there.

So, hard to say what this means for our offense next year but I'd imagine Kiffin wants to keep things roughly the same, and between Kiffin who has been working with Briles and Weis JR who apparently is very good at understanding systems like these, it makes sense to have this pair together to try and replicate what they did last year without Briles.
Back to the top

Strange hire indeed. Not saying a bad hire but not one you would expect (unless your head coach is Lane Kiffin). I'm thinking CW jr will be Lane's eye in the sky. He'll be sitting in the coach's box helping diagnose defenses and relaying the info (offensive adjustments) to LK who will be doing the majority of the play calling.

Go Owls!
Back to the top

'An Unbelievable Football Mind': Lane Kiffin's New 24-Year-Old OC Is No Gimmick

Everyone likes this kid…..interesting what Gil Brandt had to say…..whoa

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

Silver_Bullet32 said

'An Unbelievable Football Mind': Lane Kiffin's New 24-Year-Old OC Is No Gimmick

Everyone likes this kid…..interesting what Gil Brandt had to say…..whoa
Posted On: Jan 24th 2018, 3:20 PM #376649

I love that article. It's hard to find fault in what Briles was doing, considering we scored so many points last season. But, his passing attack was spread based and definitely not pro style. Obviously that can win you a lot of games. But, what's really exciting is the possibility of keeping the same offense but adding a lot of NFL type passing plays. That's only possible with a legit star at QB. What if Robison is a star? Then we'd have 2 superstars, him and Motor, and some very highly regarded receivers. If, and it's a big if, all of that happens, then I can't see OU stopping our offense at all. At the very least, Weis Sr. knows exactly how to do that.
Back to the top
Control functions: