Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2018 FAU Baseball Schedule

Add topic

2018 FAU Baseball Schedule

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

USA Baseball released their Golden Spikes Award preseason watch list Friday, given to the nation’s top amateur player, and it includes Team USA alum and Florida Atlantic University junior shortstop Tyler Frank.

The organization named 55 players to the list, 50 from Division I, and just two from Conference USA (Frank and Matt Wallner from Southern Miss). Since 2008, only one other Owl has ever been named to the Golden Spikes preseason watch list: Mike McKenna that very year.

Frank has garnered five preseason All-American nods as well as being named to the Preseason All-Conference USA Team following a superb sophomore season and summer with Team USA. The Golden Spikes Award will update to a midseason list on April 10, and then be trimmed to semifinalists (May 21) and finalists (June 6), with the 41st winner of the award announced in partnership with the Rod Dedeaux Foundation on June 28 in Los Angeles.
Back to the top

FAU Baseball blasts a six pack of homers to annihilate North Florida in mid-week series opener

UNF (8-10) tied the game at 1-1 in the fifth, but the Owls (12-4) went back ahead the next half-inning without benefit of a hit. In fact, through five, FAU had two runs, but just one hit. The Ospreys had a chance to regain the lead, putting two on with two out, but reliever Nick Swan stranded them, making for 10 left on base for UNF to that point. In the home sixth, the first five Owls reached, and with two runs already in, Eric Rivera deposited a 2-2 pitch out to left for the first FAU grand slam of 2018. Two batters later, Tyler Frank hit one to about the exact same spot for a two-run shot to culminate an eight-run inning.

Matt Harris came in for the seventh and left two more Ospreys on, and the Owls added three solo home runs in the bottom half: back-to-back big flies to rightfield by pinch-hitter Jared DeSantolo and Gunnar Lambert, and two batters later, a shot by Andru Summerall crushed just to the right of the batter’s eye in center. Frank finished off the scoring by leading off the eighth with his second dinger of the game, and Dylan O’Connell closed things out with two strikeouts in his FAU debut.

The Owls and Ospreys wrap their brief series Wednesday afternoon, beginning at 4 p.m. The pitching matchup will be Nick Prather for FAU against UNF’s Brad Deppermann.
Back to the top

This is the BEST HITTING Owl team ever !!! That's Baseball.
Back to the top

Where did all this power come from?
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Posted On: Mar 14th 2018, 7:59 PM #377653

It's been there all along. Just relaxing and playing our game now. I haven't verified with the stats, but in my head, and if my memory is correct, I believe there are now 11 batters with HR.
Back to the top

Yep, 11. All eight of the regular position players plus Abraham, Summerall, and DeSantolo.
Back to the top

FAU baseball took their final tuneup contest before league play begins this weekend, eking out a 10-9 win Wednesday night over North Florida to remain undefeated at 12-0 at home.

The Ospreys (8-11) took a 4-0 lead through three, but similar to Tuesday, one big FAU (13-4) inning turned the tide.

On Wednesday, as reliever Mark Nowatnick silenced the UNF offense, the Owls put together a seven-run fifth. Joe Montes led off the proceedings with a solo home run. David Miranda then drew a walk, Pedro Pages singled, and one batter later, Gunnar Lambert walked to load the bases. An Eric Rivera sacrifice fly made it 4-2, and the next hitter, Kevin Abraham, crushed a 2-0 pitch out to left for his first home run in exactly three years for a lead the Owls wouldn’t relinquish.

Two insurance runs came in the same inning when the lineup wrapped back around and Montes doubled home both Tyler Frank and Diamond Johnson, who had walked and singled, respectively.

A Cody Wilson two-run home run to left field, after Pages singled to lead off the sixth, pushed the edge to 9-4, and the Owls’ 10th home run of the series came courtesy of Tyler Frank, the first batter of the eighth.

It turned out the squad would need every single one of those runs. UNF’s James Fitzpatrick hit a home run in the eighth, and with one out in the ninth, Alex Hendricks’ grand slam cut it to one at 10-9.

Closer Zach Schneider was brought on, inducing a flyout for out number two, and after an infield single and a walk, getting a game-ending fielder’s choice to end the drama for the win.

FAU next travels to Norfolk, VA, to open up the Conference USA slate against Old Dominion Friday at 6:00 PM.

UPDATED SCHEDULE: 2018 FAU Baseball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Posted On: Mar 14th 2018, 7:59 PM #377653

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back to the top

Really thought UNF was going to steal this one following the grand slam late. Good to see Schneider really solidify his role as reliable closer.

Back to the top
Control functions: