Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME WEEK THREAD: FAU vs. LaTech & Southern Miss - February 1st & 3rd, 2018

Add topic

Depends on how quickly we hire the new AD.  He only has one more year so either way the worst scenario is one more year of horrible basketball.  I wish we could put more resources into the program but I think we have to focus on football for a little longer so even with the new AD and coach it will probably be more of the same with a different name.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

Depends on how quickly we hire the new AD.  He only has one more year so either way the worst scenario is one more year of horrible basketball.  I wish we could put more resources into the program but I think we have to focus on football for a little longer so even with the new AD and coach it will probably be more of the same with a different name.
Posted On: Feb 4th 2018, 9:30 AM #376876

Agreed. AD’s typically aren’t short searches so I’m just assuming it’s gonna be at least a few months. 

Back to the top

100% correct. And as little interest I have in Basketball, I want it to succeed. But as a university, we need to concentrate on Football. That is where we have made a substantial investment . We need it to succeed. Most of us want a quick fix. But we need to be patient. Basketball will have it's day. But it is down the road a bit. I feel bad for our kids. They are playing hard every game but still coming up short. Must be tough.
Back to the top

The fact that the team practices and plays in the equivalent of a high school gym will hinder the success of any basketball coach we have. It will also limit the potential coaching candidates, if that is what happens. The program has little chance at long term improvement while using the current facilities.
Back to the top

@Owlguin,  the right coach can win on a black top city court. Our baseball stadium is no prize. The key is getting the right guy. The guy that wants to show what he can do regardless of the facility. But it won't be easy to find that guy. Glad it isn't my job.
Back to the top

Owlguin said

The fact that the team practices and plays in the equivalent of a high school gym will hinder the success of any basketball coach we have. It will also limit the potential coaching candidates, if that is what happens. The program has little chance at long term improvement while using the current facilities.
Posted On: Feb 4th 2018, 9:44 AM #376880

We could have hired matt McCall 
Back to the top

How can it be, in how many years - we cannot get a consistent scorer, and I mean 20 points plus a game? Is it the recruiting or Coaches "system", if we can call it that at all!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

I think Curry has two more years. He is only on year four of six year contract. As long as Kiffin is coaching the football team I don't see FAU letting Curry go even if the buyout is small. Any little extra available funds will likely to trying to keep Kiffin here as long as possible.
Back to the top

owl said

dusky256fc said

I think Curry has two more years. He is only on year four of six year contract. As long as Kiffin is coaching the football team I don't see FAU letting Curry go even if the buyout is small. Any little extra available funds will likely to trying to keep Kiffin here as long as possible.
Posted On: Feb 4th 2018, 9:30 PM #376901

I believe you’re correct, my main concern is we stay focused on fb and let the new AD pick the new b-ball coach.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Rick said

Year one: $750,000 (2014-15)
Year two: $600,000 (2015-16)
Year three: $400,000 (2016-17)
Year four: $200,000 (2017-18)
Year five: $100,000 (2018-19)

He will get $15,000 as a lump sum retention payment on July 18th, 2018 if he is still coach, so parting ways will save the department that amount.
Posted On: Dec 30th 2017, 10:46 PM #376039

Bumping my previous post in lieu of this dialogue…

Six (2019-20) isn't coming…$100K is chump change.

Just change the department's toilet paper and paper towel vendor to save that (kidding but still).

Would be shocked if there isn't some news on March 8th.

Ok, maybe March 9th, but go with me here.

They are LOSING way more than $100K per year by keeping things the way they are and forfeiting potential intangible revenue - as we saw a ridiculous uptick in by hiring Kiffin. FAU MBB gets scraps of the slight media deal the league has, and our performance is a direct factor.

The BIG question is will they spend the money to bring someone in who can immediately move the needle towards beginning to attack the melancholy vantage point towards the program.

Kiffin is still battling this in some measures IMHO, and we just went 11-3 while winning the Conference Championship before DESTROYING our Bowl opponent.

If this were not the case, no recruits they were interested in would still be waiting to announce their decisions.

Back to the top
Control functions: